Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874815 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2675 on: 06 November, 2012, 01:39:47 pm »
A new Hope bottom bracket from Wiggle but no Haribos :(

Also arranging to pick up the Alfine that I won on eBay

« Reply #2676 on: 06 November, 2012, 07:33:52 pm »
Replacement pads........... has to be done.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2677 on: 07 November, 2012, 10:10:16 am »
a new pair of stainless speedplay frog pedals. the ones i used on all long rides for the last three years are getting tired

« Reply #2678 on: 07 November, 2012, 11:15:06 am »
A Gore black ladies insulated tour jacket from Evans - reduced from £159.99 to £69.99.  I only buy Gore stuff in the sales - but it is good.

I bought a Gore thermal jersey last week from Amazon reduced from £69.99 to £29.99 (price is back up now) and I wore it this morning with a sleeveless puffa over.  I had to take the puffa off as the jersey was lovely and warm.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #2679 on: 08 November, 2012, 09:25:27 am »
F*#-;d my Paramo Quito by falling off bike (duh) on my last audax, so now have to decide whether to get another Paramo (spendy - last was sale/second) or figure out some other waterproof jacket. Oops, wrong thred, not yet purchased, thoug leaning to new Paramo with the £50 rebate for recycling my damaged one ...

I'm told they do really good repairs - entire panels etc. so I'd give them a call before going shopping!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2680 on: 08 November, 2012, 10:11:06 am »
The most boring Wiggle order arrived yesterday - new cables, chains, brake blocks for the two main bikes ready for winter.  It always feels wrong putting all the shiny new bits on before winter - but cables in particular are a must really IMHO - and the brake blocks on the front of the fixed were close to metal so were beyond desperate for changing.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2681 on: 08 November, 2012, 11:00:56 am »
A Carradura rack pack to replace my rather decrepid Halfords one (I looked at the Super C but I coudn't justify the extra cost at the moment)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2682 on: 08 November, 2012, 01:13:34 pm »
Took delivery of some handlebars, for the project bike. Black rather than silver, but compact bars to fit quill stems are not that easy to find and I didn't want to pay £40 for silver ones!

GrahamG

« Reply #2683 on: 09 November, 2012, 10:05:16 am »
Not buying anything as such but the audax bike is getting a re-finish - the original paint job (and decal job) left a little to be desired for a custom frame so was offered a free re-fin whenever I wanted it..... going to have a change of colour too and keep it simple/boring with black.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2684 on: 09 November, 2012, 11:02:30 pm »
Audax UK membership renewal.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2685 on: 10 November, 2012, 01:10:24 am »
New silver stem and stem cap (why are stem caps so expensive, they're only a bit of plastic/aluminium)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2686 on: 10 November, 2012, 08:04:12 pm »
A pair of drilled Mafac brake levers for one of my project bikes. Accidentally on Ebay, like you do.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #2687 on: 10 November, 2012, 08:16:02 pm »
Another Carradice saddlebag (Super C this time).

Bar end shifters, gear cables and outers.
Embrace your inner Fred.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2688 on: 10 November, 2012, 08:45:28 pm »
A solar powered front light for the commuter. On cheap from UK cyclestore (£20 instead of £50, should pay for itself in batteries)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2689 on: 10 November, 2012, 08:58:02 pm »
Audax UK membership renewal.

me too

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2690 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:21:23 pm »
A solar powered front light for the commuter. On cheap from UK cyclestore (£20 instead of £50, should pay for itself in batteries)

Do they actually work?  I mean, there's not a fantastic amount of sunlight about in winter, and it presumably means leaving the light attached to the bike all day (so only good if you have secure, outdoor cycle parking), which must limit it a bit...

« Reply #2691 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:39:55 pm »
A new chainset after borking the one on the Disco.
It's Campag Centaur. LBS couldn't get one from their suppliers (obsolete apparently  :o ) but I managed to get one from Ribble for much less than the LBS could get it for.
If they had been able to get it.
Better yet, LBS fitted it for free (early Christmas present they told me).
I also bought the seatpost that they'd lent me when they built up the Disco. It's not high spec but I'm comfy on the bike with it so it seemed daft to spend any more than I had to (it was scratched when they lent it to me so I got it much cheaper than list).
I think I'll be taking biscuits in there next week..

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2692 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:48:11 pm »
I have good, secure outdoor cycle parking. The bike will be in daylight for about 7 hours a day and the commute is about 10 minutes each way.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2693 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:59:15 pm »
I have good, secure outdoor cycle parking. The bike will be in daylight for about 7 hours a day and the commute is about 10 minutes each way.

Assumed you probably would have.  Strikes me as a bit of a niche product for that reason, though perhaps useful for tourists as well.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2694 on: 11 November, 2012, 08:00:40 am »
Under-saddle bags that are almost exactly the same as the the Carradice Caradura Midi bag (in fact a shade larger in capacity) - from Tesco Direct!

Bit of a steal as I used the "double your voucher value" scheme to step up £10 of vouchers to £20 - then ordered 2 bags - found that there was a 3 for 2 deal so added a further one ... that came up 50p short of my voucher value of £20 - cheapest item I could find was a can of GT85 for two quid or so ... pressed the button, paid the extra £2.50 or so with a card.  Collected them the next day.

Net result was 3 off of the bags* + a GT85 for £10 of vouchers and £2 cash.

Rob

* Mrs G, of course, asked why I need MORE bike luggage ... well, with 10 bikes you can never have enough.

EDIT - there's a crappy looking badge on the zip flap of the bag, I've removed them

« Reply #2695 on: 11 November, 2012, 04:09:10 pm »
Some gore clothes and some more brackets for Lezyne lights. Now I just have to swap the lights between bikes rather than fiddling with the brackets.  :thumbsup:

GrahamG

« Reply #2696 on: 15 November, 2012, 09:52:55 am »
Totally cycling related - I finally stumped up for a body fat measuring set of bathroom scales... time to kill the lard properly!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2697 on: 15 November, 2012, 01:28:39 pm »
New set of silver bars to go with the silver stem, spacers and seatpost. Now the only black bits left on the horizon will be the head set cups.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2698 on: 15 November, 2012, 01:37:53 pm »
New set of silver bars to go with the silver stem, spacers and seatpost. Now the only black bits left on the horizon will be the head set cups.

Tart!

You are getting it a little wrong though, surely everything should be purple anodised? ;D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2699 on: 15 November, 2012, 01:54:54 pm »
Tart!
Guilty as charged. If it wasn't for the fact I've never replaced a headset I would be looking into silver cups for that as well :)
You are getting it a little wrong though, surely everything should be purple anodised? ;D
I don't think that would look right on a pale blue and white bike :)