Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874853 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3050 on: 18 February, 2013, 09:06:42 am »
A basic toolkit and workstand after asking for advice over at The Knowledge which ranged from - it's excellent stuff - to - it's crap - I decided to just make a decision and here it is
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtreme-repair-set-244814/aid:244816

Can pick up other needed tools as and when...
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #3051 on: 19 February, 2013, 06:58:44 pm »
New sprockets and chain gliders for the Brompton, since it still skips in 2nd gear after I replaced the chain. Only 1400km...
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3052 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:17:49 pm »
A bling pair of red & white Diadora road shoes (matches the Altura Night Vision jacket for night rides) and new shiny silver pedals.  I'm such a tart.........
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3053 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:24:28 pm »
arvid - Brompton recently distributed a dodgy batch of 13t cogs that skipped under pressure. Did you have one of those?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3054 on: 20 February, 2013, 06:40:32 am »
arvid - Brompton recently distributed a dodgy batch of 13t cogs that skipped under pressure. Did you have one of those?

There was nothing recent about my sprockets, they were original and the bike was a display model for years before I bought it and I've had it for 2.5 years now. And the problematic cog is a 12T. The chain was in really bad shape before I replaced it, so it's not really a surprise.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #3055 on: 20 February, 2013, 08:48:13 am »
Postie brought me a rather nice Carradice front bag for the Brommie.  Will try it out later.  Thanks again to SJSC for excellent service.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #3056 on: 20 February, 2013, 04:51:39 pm »
Tenuously cycling-related, but I couldn't resist the digital calipers at Aldi. Oh, and a couple of bars of flapjack.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3057 on: 21 February, 2013, 10:48:29 am »
Today, after much preparation, I have bought a cyclepath. It will be delivered over the next week or so and run for 1 mile. Unfortunately it isn't portable.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3058 on: 21 February, 2013, 11:17:02 am »
Not yet, but I'm off down to the LBS at lunchtime to pick up the singlespeed.

I'll also be taking the opportunity to replace those bits of clothing that were shredded during my uncontrolled dismount incident a couple of days ago  :-\

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #3059 on: 21 February, 2013, 11:48:34 am »
Just tried the Brompton in the bike bag bought from Aidan of this parish. Excellent job!
Advena ego sum in Terra

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3060 on: 21 February, 2013, 12:24:34 pm »
A set of SKS guards for Nib's hybrid and a chain for the Bianchi.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #3061 on: 21 February, 2013, 12:49:10 pm »
I am slowly rebuilding one of my crashed bikes.  Last weekend I went to reassemble the steerer/handlebar/headset are an realised that I had changed from 1" to 1 1/8" steerer so the spaces in the bits box do not fit any more. So I bought some new spacers.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3062 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:12:24 pm »
Some 1/4" and some 3/16" ball bearings, to rebuild a pair of hubs, the old ones being chrome steel and sort of a brown colour, not really optimal colour for such things :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3063 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:17:34 pm »
A Park freewheel remover, which means I can now remove the freewheel that's currently on the S3X - however I'm still waiting for the sprocket I ordered to turn up1  ::-)

1 - A Surly sprocket because, for some inexplicable reason, Sturmey-Archer Europe don't import 3/32" S3X sprockets. WTF?!

caerau

« Reply #3064 on: 21 February, 2013, 08:20:50 pm »
A new chainbreaker, a SRAM powerlock and some grease.

Farked up fitting a new 10 speed chain by threading it through the derailleur wrong, broke open the new chain again to rethread and bent the pin on my old chainbreaker trying to repin the chain.  All fixed now, and now I have a better chainbreaker - glad this happened in my office and not up the top of a remote mountain at least.

All good experience of fettling. Not a mistake I shall be repeating

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3065 on: 21 February, 2013, 08:28:05 pm »
Received some Kamoya bits for our Bromptons. Shiny spring-load asymmetric hinge clamps that automatically stay aligned for faster folding/unfolding. Also a seatpost keeper so that HK's Brompton seatpost will automatically be aligned and at the correct height when extended. All thanks to a Moulton bloke doing the courier thing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3066 on: 21 February, 2013, 09:03:36 pm »
An Exposure Blaze rear light, and Lezyne Micro Drive rear light.

The Lezyne is cheaper, and has an integrated USB connector for charging.  The Exposure on the other hand will last longer at a reasonable brightness, so should be more suitable for a night ride.

n+2 for bike lights. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3067 on: 21 February, 2013, 10:29:02 pm »
Took delivery of a wee min pump today, an SKS Piccolo. Handy to pop in the saddle bag along with my CO2 thiny. If I get a flat, I can get a bit of air in the tube before blasting it with the CO2...
Embrace your inner Fred.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3068 on: 22 February, 2013, 10:16:01 am »
An Exposure Blaze rear light, and Lezyne Micro Drive rear light.

The Lezyne is cheaper, and has an integrated USB connector for charging.  The Exposure on the other hand will last longer at a reasonable brightness, so should be more suitable for a night ride.

please tell these are not intended for group night rides.. :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3069 on: 22 February, 2013, 10:19:36 am »
Some 1/4" and some 3/16" ball bearings, to rebuild a pair of hubs, the old ones being chrome steel and sort of a brown colour, not really optimal colour for such things :)

Ordered yesterday, from Simply Bearings on ebay, door bell rings this morning, the postlady has them for me!

Well done Simply Bearings!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3070 on: 22 February, 2013, 03:37:43 pm »
A set of SKS guards for Nib's hybrid and a chain for the Bianchi.

Subtract one set of mudguards - 42mm aren't wide enough :( Another dangerous (to the wallet) trip to the LBS needed.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3071 on: 22 February, 2013, 03:40:00 pm »
Just ordered some Correx sheet off fleaBay.

Myriad uses around the home including: mudflaps, map/routesheet holders and possibly full-on fat-bike mudguards :)

caerau

« Reply #3072 on: 24 February, 2013, 01:44:06 pm »
Busy day on the buying front today.

New 9 speed chain link as a spare for on-road chain breakages.
New SRAM 9 speed cassette for my hybrid that demonstrated the need for a new one very effectively on yesterdays audax
Bottle of 100 gear cable end caps.
2 metres of outer gear cable and ferrules
4 replacement inner cables
Park tool cable cutter.

Very well timed as got 50%(ish) off the most expensive stuff there - the cassette was only £15 and the cable cutters were only £27  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3073 on: 24 February, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »
An Exposure Blaze rear light, ...
please tell these are not intended for group night rides.. :)

I may well use the Exposure on night rides, because it has a long enough run time for that (not on full blast!).

On FNRttCs I ride as a TEC very often, so can basically be the very last rider.  Having a stupidly bright light is useful (so long as I remember to turn it off when I stop TECing!)

I normally have three rear lights on my bikes, two operating, and one as a cold spare.  On a FNRttC when I'm not TECing, I'll drop down to just a CatEye TL-LD1100.

I also generally commute home in the dark, so I often spend more time cycling in darkness than in daylight, but I'm rarely cycling when many other commuting cyclists are about.

I bought some plastic joints from B&Q (normally used on furniture) to use making a removable mounting for a triangular rear reflector on the trailer.  When I use it with the large plastic box for shopping, there's a reflector mounted on that, but I need to mount another reflector that would be in the way of the large box, but should be on the trailer when I'm doing something like carrying the cat carriers (the trailer already has two front and two rear lights, as well as another light on the plastic box).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3074 on: 24 February, 2013, 09:08:29 pm »
A Pair of Roubaix tights! (Damn cold)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain