Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877179 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3300 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:02:39 pm »
A new Crane Creek headset (via semi-LBS) and a DuraAce bottom bracket for the Moulton.  The latter should arrive Thursday, giving me two nights to fettle the bike back into road worthiness as I want to use it on Saturday.

Tomorrow I shall use my lunch break to visit OnYourBike to pick up an assortment of inner tubes, which I hope to never use.  You see, I'm taking a bunch of co-workers on a ride on Saturday.  I've asked they make sure they have spares, but I'm not relying on anything.  One skinny, one fat, in both 26 and 700 should do the job.  If all goes well, these tubes will go on to gather dust in my FNRttC kit.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3301 on: 15 May, 2013, 01:40:31 pm »
Entering a couple of sportives. Will be interesting to see how the MAMILs live ;-)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3302 on: 15 May, 2013, 02:41:12 pm »
Just ordered n+1 - a Trek 4th District. :D

This one should take over commuting duties from my hybrid-frankenbike Claud Butler which is on its last legs.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3303 on: 15 May, 2013, 08:11:05 pm »
Nice! :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3304 on: 15 May, 2013, 09:43:10 pm »
A Topeak Fuel Tank top tube bag.

Well, strictly speaking I haven't bought it yet - the LBS have got one in for me since I need to see if the straps on the Fuel Tank interfere with the framebag straps on the green Genesis.

If it does fit, then a) I'll buy it and b) my bikepacking setup will be complete.

« Reply #3305 on: 15 May, 2013, 09:58:05 pm »

Nice, I could do with a top tube bag that's slightly bigger than the usual Topeak tri-bag, and I don't want a bar bag (doesn't fit with tri-bars).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3306 on: 16 May, 2013, 10:34:58 am »

Nice, I could do with a top tube bag that's slightly bigger than the usual Topeak tri-bag, and I don't want a bar bag (doesn't fit with tri-bars).
I've been using a Topeak tri-bag for 'regular' riding, since it's a handy place to keep my glucose monitor, emergency snackage etc. However, I do need something bigger for touring purposes and the 'large' Fuel Tank seems like it would fit the bill nicely. It also seems to be quite a bit more robust and weatherproof than the tri-bag.

« Reply #3307 on: 16 May, 2013, 10:39:42 am »
Yep, that's what I'm thinking.

Up by the stem I want:-
* Wallet, 'phone, brevet card (don't trust them to unzipped jersey pockets, don't have any jerseys with zipped pockets)
* Snacks (ok in jersey pockets but not easily accessible if raining and wearing a jacket)
* USB battery pack (needs to be near stem, don't want an ugly cable running to seat/saddle pack)

With a normal sized tri-bag I can fit only 2 of the 3 things in there so a slightly larger bag is perfect.

« Reply #3308 on: 16 May, 2013, 12:44:29 pm »
For the same reasons as Greenbank, I'm thinking that looks a good product.
Now, medium or large ?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3309 on: 16 May, 2013, 01:03:52 pm »
For the same reasons as Greenbank, I'm thinking that looks a good product.
Now, medium or large ?
I went for large by default - I'm planning to go to the LBS tonight after work so I'll be able to find out first-hand how large 'large' is. I shall endeavour to get a couple of pics of it on the bike if I can twist their arms into letting me take the bag home for sizing-up purposes.

« Reply #3310 on: 16 May, 2013, 01:46:47 pm »
Topeak say:

Tri-bag (with rain cover): http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/TriBag_raincover
* 14 x 4 x 10.2 cm (5.5” x 1.6” x 4.0”)
* 65g

Fuel Tank (medium): http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/fueltank_m
* 0.5L capacity
* 17.5 x 7.5 x 11 cm (6.9” x 3” x 4.3”)
* 120g

Fuel Tank (large): http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/fueltank_l
* 0.75L capacity
* 24 x 7.5 x 11 cm (9.4” x 3” x 4.3”)
* 150g

There are also photos of them mounted to a bike to give you a rough idea.

I'd probably just go large, can fit more Meat-And-Fat-Wrapped-In-Plastic(TM) in them then.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3311 on: 16 May, 2013, 01:54:03 pm »
That looks tempting for the 'bent (where I'm currently using a modified tri-bag).  Assuming the extra width doesn't mean it'll clip my legs, anyway.

« Reply #3312 on: 16 May, 2013, 07:12:26 pm »
They do look tempting. I also have the problem of a GPS LiPo pack taking up most of my tribag, and also not quite fitting. With my bodged together massive pack I've ended up temporarily running a USB cable under the top tube, a decent sized bag would remove the need for that.

« Reply #3313 on: 16 May, 2013, 10:03:22 pm »
Interesting that you say it looks more weatherproof Interzen, I ended up getting a second Topeak Tribag for the new bike over the FuelTank as didn't think the latter was as waterproof. Saying that I have the Drybag version of the Tribag.

Might have to consider another purchase as the Tribag is almost but not quite big enough for my needs.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3314 on: 16 May, 2013, 10:41:36 pm »
two pairs of lycra shorts and a brake cable kit

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3315 on: 17 May, 2013, 02:59:02 pm »
Today's wiggle delivery - a deep drop rear caliper for my project s/s and a pair of kneewarmers for this amazing summer weather we're having.

« Reply #3316 on: 17 May, 2013, 03:02:02 pm »
I bought a duplicate pair of Rapha winter gloves, because they were in the sale and are my absolutely most favourite glove which I would be gutted if they discontinued or changed the design of. To get the free postage I also bought the pink merino base layer I had been hankering after for some time. It might get a wearing on the Bryan Chapman. I couldn't buy the women's one because they don't do it in pink. The small men's is nice and long in the body so Im very pleased with it anyway  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3317 on: 17 May, 2013, 06:19:23 pm »

Ordered one from my LBS. It will make its debut on the Ditchling Devil 200km Audax.

« Reply #3318 on: 17 May, 2013, 08:57:26 pm »
two mirrors a pair of cycling gloves and a 20" innertube from decathlon in reading :).
the slower you go the more you see

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3319 on: 17 May, 2013, 10:21:32 pm »
The small men's is nice and long in the body

That bit caused a small boggle. I had to read it twice.

Anyhoo, today DPD brought me a brace of Specialized All Condition Armadillos. One for the back wheel of the pink magenta bike and one for the back wheel of Mrs. Hall's bike, both of which currently have tyres which have been slashed by flinty bits.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3320 on: 17 May, 2013, 10:35:57 pm »
A salad-dodger sized Altura 'Pocket Rocket' jacket in yellow (no orange, sadly :( ) - my search for a 'summer weight' waterproof jacket is over; whilst my Night Vision jacket is very nice (and orange) it's overkill for this time of year even given the current highly variable weather conditions. The Pocket Rocket also has the advantage of squishing down to a size that's conducive to putting in my frame bag (or even back pocket) when not in use.

Also had a quick look at the large-size Fuel Tank bag (not actually taking it until pay-day, though) - I think it'll do;size-wise it's perfect for my particular needs, the straps don't interfere with my framebag, there's an internal divider (potentially handy) and the zip looks like it'll keep water at bay  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3321 on: 18 May, 2013, 12:10:52 pm »
A merino jersey from Planet X, and 6 rolls of assorted splash tape from the 'Bay.

« Reply #3322 on: 18 May, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »
......Anyhoo, today DPD brought me a brace of Specialized All Condition Armadillos. .......

A fine choice, in tyres.
Today I have requested a pair of Sidi Dragon 3s from our Teutonic friends at Bike-Discount GmbH.
*Taps fingers with impatience*

« Reply #3323 on: 19 May, 2013, 02:55:47 pm »
A new MTB lid. (XC, not downhill)  ;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3324 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:12:29 am »
Just ordered n+1 - a Trek 4th District. :D

This one should take over commuting duties from my hybrid-frankenbike Claud Butler which is on its last legs.

Picked it up yesterday :)

That was as I took it out of the car when it arrived home. Since then I have flipped the stem, lowered the seat and added some lights instead of the reflectors. Now I just need to add the mudguards and rack and it will be ready for duty.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!