Author Topic: A wee drop of whisky  (Read 19058 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: A wee drop of whisky
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2020, 05:10:47 pm »
Can you guess which island I'm on today, here's a clue

#bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2020, 11:45:42 pm »
Barra?
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2020, 11:47:38 pm »
Barra?

That's what Peli had to carry him home in.....  ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Clare

• Is home
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2020, 07:58:24 pm »
That is THE BEST CHAIR EVAH.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2020, 02:30:24 pm »
I have probably posted this before but you can make a completely wonderful version of Macallans finest sherry aged Malt by slipping a spoonful of cheap cooking PX sherry into Lidl's Highland Malt.
Its a 'known' fix and PX/prune juice is used to 'push' Scotch flavour. Its basically what e.g. Glenmorangie do in their 'finishing' process, using casks. 
You can also achieve remarkable effects with fresh oak shavings left in a bottle of indifferent scotch, or a drop of vanilla essence to save time.
Appreciate it doesn't have the magic of the branded versions but always worth playing about. The results can be quite amazing, replicating taste profile of products that cost hundreds for a few pence.
There are some lovely ways to use products like Talisker with e.g. JW Black/Red Label to create a super smooth blend with a heavy peaty base kick - essentially the delivery of JW Double Black.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2020, 10:47:38 am »
Is it a shark or Domo-Kun?
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Clare

• Is home
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2020, 02:26:02 pm »
Is it a shark or Domo-Kun?

Sorry, missed this.

It must be a shark, the mouth shape is wrong for a Domu-Kun

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2020, 05:00:32 pm »
A wee rant: I have noticed over the last few years quite a few distilleries have gone tru a re-branding both of the packaging and the lovely stuff within the bottles.

Like Highland Park, I have lost count of how many models there is and they haven't made it easy to figure out which is which either. Same goes with Glenfiddich and I'm sure there is others that have done the same, just can't think of them atm.

In them there good old days you knew that this distillery got a peaty taste, they have 3-4 for ages or what kind of barrels the drop was aged in. Now they mix it all up and you are not even sure they are Highland or Islay etc.

I fell in love with the Strathisla 12 year old, sadly after a lot of searching I have found out that they are now discontinuing it. I contacted the distillery and the reply filled me sadness. Cause the person writing the reply spend a lot of time talking about the branding (I don't care about the colour or the font on the label, I drink it because what's within the bottle). And they also said they are changing the name of the whisky along with recipe - they are doing a New Coke on it.

This also make it harder to remember if you have tried X or Y.

I do like what is happening with micro breweries as I like to try different beer flavours, but not my whisky I want the same old :)

Signed Gutted
#bollockstobrexit

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2020, 05:19:48 pm »
You'll have to start doing your own mate!   Afterwards you might need to drive to Barnard Castle to check your eyesight..

I remember a pleasant weekend in Clapham with Wowbagger & Canardly (& Kim as responsible adult).  I think we got through 2 bottles of Highland Park (amongst other stuff) and they were both different editions.   Scapa is a lovely dram, but I've not had it for ages.

Did you ever read "Raw Spirit" by Iain Banks ?  His mission to taste as many malts as possible.  I seem to remember a Porsche being flipped at one stage......

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2020, 05:54:16 pm »
You'll have to start doing your own mate! 
It's crossed my mind to try make some, but it a struggle to wait 4 weeks for my home brewed beer. So there is no way I can wait 12 years for a drop LOL
#bollockstobrexit

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2020, 06:10:49 pm »
A wee rant: I have noticed over the last few years quite a few distilleries have gone tru a re-branding both of the packaging and the lovely stuff within the bottles.

Like Highland Park, I have lost count of how many models there is and they haven't made it easy to figure out which is which either. Same goes with Glenfiddich and I'm sure there is others that have done the same, just can't think of them atm.

In them there good old days you knew that this distillery got a peaty taste, they have 3-4 for ages or what kind of barrels the drop was aged in. Now they mix it all up and you are not even sure they are Highland or Islay etc.

I fell in love with the Strathisla 12 year old, sadly after a lot of searching I have found out that they are now discontinuing it. I contacted the distillery and the reply filled me sadness. Cause the person writing the reply spend a lot of time talking about the branding (I don't care about the colour or the font on the label, I drink it because what's within the bottle). And they also said they are changing the name of the whisky along with recipe - they are doing a New Coke on it.

This also make it harder to remember if you have tried X or Y.

I do like what is happening with micro breweries as I like to try different beer flavours, but not my whisky I want the same old :)

Signed Gutted

Simple answer to this one...  NAS whisky.

Massive upsurge in Far east and Indian markets over the last decade and stocks of older whisky are depleted and distilleries can't keepupwith demand. Therefore, they are abandoning age statements and going for Non Age Statement, which means rather than having a number on the bottle there is now a name.Or indeed many names.

Coupled with this is the popularity of cask expressions, whereby they fuck the whisjkyn into a port/sherry/bordeaux cask after the obligatory ex-bourbon Oak cask. These oak casks are cheap, because the US law requires them to be replaced. Therefore glut of barrels on market. Sherry/port etc less so.

Ditto peat. Speyside used to be peated many years ago, then wasn't and became known for astringent clear flavours. Now some of the progressive distilleries like Ben Riach are producing peated and unpeated whiskies as well as a dazzling array of cask expressions.

Anyway, if in doubt the answer is always Macallan 12.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2020, 06:13:22 pm »
It's crossed my mind to try make some, but it a struggle to wait 4 weeks for my home brewed beer. So there is no way I can wait 12 years for a drop LOL

Isn't there a law against that sort of thing?  My grate frend Al used to roll his own, but he's USAnian.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2020, 06:14:56 pm »

Isn't there a law against that sort of thing?  My grate frend Al used to roll his own, but he's USAnian.

I was following my instincts M'lud...

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2020, 12:30:55 am »

I was following my instincts M'lud...

When I used to wear a CPAP mask at night, I bought my own still for distilling water to put in the humidifier unit. The same company sold stills suitable for ethyl alcohol.

https://www.braumarkt.com/en/liqueur-distillate/alcohol-equipment/distillers/still-spirits-air-still-distiller?gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhaWTWMdWrCXPI8l2e-oHBCSGlVWtDwQJSjkwNO7bHpOH311qGD_kDBoCTnkQAvD_BwE

That sort of thing.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.