Author Topic: The snowy commute thread  (Read 21429 times)

Re: The snowy commute thread
« Reply #75 on: 03 February, 2009, 10:56:21 am »
My ride in was slow - a lot of roads were clear of slush but some were slushy and some icy. I just about stayed upright for the duration, though. It was interesting pulling the child trailer down the paths made by cars in the snow - I could tell when one of the wheels was hitting the snow from the drag.

I had only one really hairy moment - (having now left the trailer at home) - I was going at a fair pelt around Russell Square as it seemed entirely free of ice and slush. However, when it got to the point where I exit along a cycle path, the path was with nothing except large quantities of knobbly crunchy ice and for some reason I didn't slow down nearly enough. It hit it at speed and barely stayed on, bouncing all over the place: "A-A-A-A-a-a-a-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h!" I didn't dare hit the brakes but eventually slowed to controllable speed. Phew!

I do wish though that I had bought some of those studded ice tyres. They'd be fun.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #76 on: 03 February, 2009, 12:02:50 pm »
And it's a particularly cumbersome beast to walk/drag/carry.

At risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, turn it round, lift by the top of the back wheel and tow it backwards...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #77 on: 03 February, 2009, 12:29:44 pm »
And it's a particularly cumbersome beast to walk/drag/carry.

At risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, turn it round, lift by the top of the back wheel and tow it backwards...
Did that.  Still a pain, as the pannier hits one in the back of the knee with every step.  And you then have the issue of having a white light at the back, and a red light at the front. ::-)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #78 on: 03 February, 2009, 12:32:02 pm »
Lights shouldn't matter in that situation - you're a pedestrian with a torch, not a cyclist :D :D

<crosses fingers.  Hopes windcheetah will get back up the hills tonight to get home>

« Reply #79 on: 03 February, 2009, 12:33:38 pm »
Pictures from yesterday's commute:

The cricket pitch on Headley Heath:

It was a bit slippery (note the depth of snow by my back wheel):

The M25 wasn't doing well:

The last half-mile to the changing rooms and showers was hard work!

We stopped for a chat with another method of transport:

Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: 03 February, 2009, 12:40:43 pm »
Fantastic photos, Kathy!

I think you guys must have had some of the best/worst* snow in the south of England on Monday  :thumbsup:

*Delete according to preference...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

RainOrShine

« Reply #81 on: 03 February, 2009, 12:48:32 pm »
Here in balmy Bath I had to go out of my way to find a snowy commute as the normal roads were clear or slushy.  No pictures unfortunately but it looked a lot like Kathy's second picture above, but with slightly less snow.

All went well until I neared the top of a double-chevron climb, and lost traction.  I only had to walk a few metres to the top but it was rather disappointing!  I had been following some cycle tyre tracks for a while, and it seems the cyclist in front of me lost traction at the same point.

I envy you southeastern folks and your beautiful snowy commutes!

« Reply #82 on: 03 February, 2009, 12:56:46 pm »

Damn you.  That's the sort of snow that I wanted.

<looks out of window>

Snow's all gone now.

« Reply #83 on: 03 February, 2009, 12:59:35 pm »
Fantastic photos, Kathy!

I think you guys must have had some of the best/worst* snow in the south of England on Monday  :thumbsup:

*Delete according to preference...

Tim was photographer-in-chief. According to the guys in the bike shop, Epsom Downs had the heaviest snow in the country, at 12-13" (not counting where it drifted). And those photos were taken at most 2 miles from Epsom Downs.

There were some photos of deeper snow, but they also included me sitting down in it removing snow from my sinuses and wondering where my bike was buried. :-[

Damn you.  That's the sort of snow that I wanted.

<looks out of window>

Snow's all gone now.

It's still here, but it's got hard-packed and slippery and a bit slushy on top. We wussed out of the commute today, 'cos we felt it was more dangerous than yesterday.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #84 on: 03 February, 2009, 01:11:22 pm »

It's still here, but it's got hard-packed and slippery and a bit slushy on top. We wussed out of the commute today, 'cos we felt it was more dangerous than yesterday.

Yesterday I was happy on 2 wheels.

This morning I chose 3 wheels which appeared a sensible solution as the roads were cleared and black.  In some places it was water, in others black ice.  I started wheelspinning a few times even though I was already travelling at above 20mph.

« Reply #85 on: 03 February, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »

Yesterday I was happy on 2 wheels.

This morning I chose 3 wheels which appeared a sensible solution as the roads were cleared and black.  In some places it was water, in others black ice.  I started wheelspinning a few times even though I was already travelling at above 20mph.

It was too deep for the 'cheetah yesterday. :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #86 on: 03 February, 2009, 02:46:58 pm »
From my commute last night. Snow visible in both  :)

It is simpler than it looks.

fuzzy

« Reply #87 on: 03 February, 2009, 02:54:57 pm »
Ride home last night was environmentaly friendly- there was that much reflection of the light pollution as I rode between Maidenhead and Cookham that i didn't need my main light- just my flashers.

Ride in this morning was lumpy ice for 15 yards as I left the garage block I back on to. The roads wre all just wet, with the odd patch of ice at the margins.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #88 on: 03 February, 2009, 03:02:22 pm »
 My 5.5 mile commute took me an hour instead of the usual 15-20 minutes yesterday mainly because some roads had not been gritted and the dual carriageway was blocked with traffic and the routes between the cars had lumpy ice snow that would have me bouncing of their bodywork.
 so for the last two miles I furrowed my 71" gear through the six inches of snow on the pavement, walking some bits that were to deep, I arrived to a round of applause from those out clearing the car park  :thumbsup:

Pleased with the Tri Cross it did well in the snow and as hardly any customers made it in I got to go home early  :thumbsup:

"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #89 on: 03 February, 2009, 03:50:29 pm »
Crossers make fine snow bikes.

« Reply #90 on: 03 February, 2009, 07:56:49 pm »
Spent a fun day on this:

Took it down the snowy Slough Canal tow-path, through the parks and up the Cinder Track footpath. It's so sure-footed, it's like a mountain goat.

Found a side road with a super-slippery shady patch. The front wheel slid away very easily, I hopped off, put the bike down on its side, remained on my feet. Rode up and down a few more times, seeing how much I could spin the back wheel, just for the joy of it (oo-er!)

« Reply #91 on: 03 February, 2009, 08:17:28 pm »
Crossers make fine snow bikes.

Yep. My Michelin mud tyres shed the snow easily and gripped very well. There were only a couple of moments where things went a bit sideways.

An excellent snow tyre for the SE.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #92 on: 03 February, 2009, 09:49:28 pm »
The Exe was tranquil and bright this morning:

But nobody else dared ride!

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #93 on: 04 February, 2009, 03:49:43 pm »
Bit crunchy & slidy in places, but all the red routes are clear, and I had fun on the trike :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #94 on: 05 February, 2009, 06:18:26 am »
I've made it out of the shed.  First things first  ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #95 on: 05 February, 2009, 06:38:46 am »
I'm walking in today  ::-)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #96 on: 05 February, 2009, 08:16:50 am »
Drove in.  :( 
First week of my cycling year and it's a total bust. Feh!
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

gordon taylor

« Reply #97 on: 05 February, 2009, 08:22:40 am »
Glorious, glorious crisp snow - with no ice underneath.  :thumbsup:

I've just had my best ride of the year this morning.

Chris N

« Reply #98 on: 05 February, 2009, 09:03:29 am »
Made it too.  Absolutely lovely ride - warmer than Tuesday and so much more fun.  A bit icy at the bottom of some ruts, but mostly good.  Plenty of traction from my cx tyres and good fun practising skid stops and countersteering round corners. :thumbsup:

7 am

The 'rat

Got to find some oil before I go home though - my chain's covered in ice now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #99 on: 05 February, 2009, 09:04:14 am »

We have a Muddy Fox that would match those racks!
Getting there...