Author Topic: Best £50 cheapo Brommie upgrades  (Read 5098 times)

Best £50 cheapo Brommie upgrades
« on: 11 February, 2009, 10:05:15 am »
OK, I got the Brommie last week and in good nick it is too. It has a dynamo with halogen lights, so i will replace them in due course. It has the reduced gearing and extended seatpost, which are 2 things I would have done anyway, so it is pretty much there. However, you know that's not enough  :)

I have (or rather don't have, but I will find) £50 to tweak it a bit. Apart from having it serviced, what's the best benefit(s) I can get by spending £50?

It will be used for short trips, so I don't want to replace the saddle and I don't need luggage, as I have a Carradice rack-top bag.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Best £50 cheapo Brommie upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2009, 11:36:03 am »
There is no comparison between a rack-top bag and the Brommie luggage.

If you clip your ankles on the rollers, a narrower set, either from Brompton (EZwheels?), Steve Parry (nicest) or a roller blade set (heaviest).

Koolstop brake pads, if the brakes are an older style.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2009, 04:38:50 pm »
Thanks for the ideas.

I've had a Brompton before and I know I don't need the capacity of the front bags for this bike, so the rack top bag will suffice.

I'll check out the rack wheel options, The brakes actually seem quite good; however, I'm comparing them to a Pashley postman bike with rod brakes - try stopping that in the wet with a full basket!

I'd say the bike is 5+ years old (it has an SA hub), so I assume the koolstop brake pads will help?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2009, 04:46:10 pm »
If it has single-pivot brakes, I'd suggest going the whole hog and replacing the calipers with dual pivots.  They're actually *good*.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2009, 05:05:17 pm »
Bar ends  - X-Lite stubbies or similar?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2009, 05:17:12 pm »
Bar-ends look silly unless it's an S-type.

Strangely, I have a nice surplus 3-speed Brompton rear wheel (with the latest hub) hanging in the garage...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2009, 05:44:04 pm »
How about a rear frame clip?  If you're going to use a rack top bag, having the rear end fold whenever you pick the bike up could be annoying (and could potentially damage the bag).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2009, 06:28:37 pm »
I'd go for bar ends, I have Cane Creek ones on my Brompton

Cane Creek Ergo Control II Bar Ends Only £23.99

These have the advantage that they go both forward and back a little, giving you several more positions. If you ever want to climb hills these will make life much nicer.

Cheers,

Duncan

PS I have the M-type bars, and think the bar ends look fine, Roger might disagree, I guess...

« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2009, 07:44:51 pm »
Bar-ends look silly unless it's an S-type.

Strangely, I have a nice surplus 3-speed Brompton rear wheel (with the latest hub) hanging in the garage...

Doesn't that have a SRAM hub? I was quite pleased that mine has an SA hub, even if it's Taiwanese (I assume). If you have a Kinetics 8-speed for £50, I'll wrench your arm off  :).

Stubbies would look a bit daft on the very gay Raleigh Shopper-type bars, IMO. The bars are my one big negative with the Brompton.

OT, but how do I know if it is old enough to warrant the bar brace? Can I tell from the serial number?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 11 February, 2009, 08:01:25 pm »
It's a Sturmey-Archer SRF3.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 11 February, 2009, 08:29:12 pm »
Frame clip - great idea. I'll also go for the Eazy wheels for the rear rack @ 22 Quid. Even includes a bung to stop it rolling off for impromptu canal dunkings (see the other thread on the topic).

Sorted. Under budget too.

The brakes idea is good too, but I seem to have learned how to read traffic better on the Pashley - case of having to really - so that upgrade can wait.

« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2009, 11:35:36 pm »
I love my bar ends and don't care what they look like. They make climbing much easier.

Frame clip for me is a short bungee that cost a couple of quid  :)

« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2009, 08:06:41 am »
a decent saddle if you have the original.
Mine (new this summer) came with the Fizik option and its a good little saddle and complements the bike in looks as well.
A bike bag is useful if you travel on a train and particularily in a bus.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2009, 08:14:39 am »
I've got stubby bar ends on my M type Brommie and they're A Good Thing.

Nor do they look silly.  If you were worried about looking silly, you'd probably not be riding a Brompton at all...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:04:18 am »
My small stable includes a canary yellow HP Spirit recumbent, a Pashley postman bike and formerly both another Brompton & a Birdy, so I'm used to looking different/silly; but those bars are really naff, IMO. It doesn't put me off riding it, and my riding style doesn't suit the flatter bars on the newer version which would suit stubbies better, but I can't help feeling there must be a better design. For one thing, they don't feel that strong when climbing, which is why I asked about the brace.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:09:51 am »
I use the brace on the current bars and it stiffens things up nicely.  I have no concerns about the handlebar's strength without a brace.

Si

« Reply #16 on: 12 February, 2009, 01:10:40 pm »
If you have a Kinetics 8-speed for £50, I'll wrench your arm off  .

I've still got that new shimano 3*8/9.  Dunno how easy it'd fit into a brommie but you like a challenge don't you  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 12 February, 2009, 03:35:22 pm »
I'm tempted, believe me, but I'm pretty sure the OLN dimension will be too big...

(OT - I was also tempted by the lava lamp, but I can't deal with all the other stuff you want to shift)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 12 February, 2009, 03:47:47 pm »
I'm tempted, believe me, but I'm pretty sure the OLN dimension will be too big...

By miles.

Si

« Reply #19 on: 12 February, 2009, 07:43:46 pm »

I'll chuck in a metal file with it  ;D

« Reply #20 on: 13 February, 2009, 08:14:59 am »
It'll have to be a bastard...

« Reply #21 on: 19 March, 2009, 02:48:26 pm »
Nor do they look silly.  If you were worried about looking silly, you'd probably not be riding a Brompton at all...

I'm not sure the red nose and huge shoes are actually mandatory, though.

« Reply #22 on: 31 March, 2009, 09:31:37 am »

I'm not sure the red nose and huge shoes are actually mandatory, though.

Isn't that half the fun?  ;)