Author Topic: Suffolk Ride - 15th June 2008  (Read 48689 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: Suffolk Ride - 15th June 2008
« Reply #250 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:14:13 pm »

One thing which struck me was the consistency with which yacf folk are a damn nice bunch of people to ride with.

I second that :thumbsup:.

Thanks again to Annie for organising everything and also to Orienteer for the lift.

A most enjoyable ride in charming company :).

I'll post more pics later, but for now here's one for the caption competition.

Pen Pusher

« Reply #251 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:15:10 pm »
Photoshop!!! :D

annie

« Reply #252 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:25:48 pm »
Gits :o

God I look awful, that's what happens when you survive on just 45 minutes sleep.  I thought the following picture might deserve a trip to Caption It.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #253 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:27:31 pm »
I thought the following picture might deserve a trip to Caption It.

Well, it is his birthday today ;D
Pen Pusher

« Reply #254 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:42:39 pm »
I thought the following picture might deserve a trip to Caption It.

Well, it is his birthday today ;D

Top shot !  ;D

« Reply #255 on: 15 June, 2008, 11:02:49 pm »
I got back around 2215. Photos tomorrow.
Techy details:
Riding time: 12:27:19
Avg speed: 23kmh
Max speed: 56.7kmh
Calories spent: 8463Cal

Lost leader: 3 times.
Lost group: 3 times.
Best smile: Annie and Peli joint first.
Best ASBO Tag: Peli.
Best Slaphead: Wollypigs.
Best missed photo op: TT breaking his cleat plate.
Best clipless moment: Woofage
Most wheels: The Leftpondians.
Best looking bottom: delthebike (ask Annie)
Best tan lines: delthebike.

Thanks everybody it was an excellent day today and I thoroughly enjoyed your company. The weather held out, as did bobbs' stomach, feel better soon matey.
For me I also rode my longest distance and have now ridden over 7000 miles so far this year.

Edit: And a very happy birfday Woolpigs and a belated happy birfday Rich.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #256 on: 15 June, 2008, 11:04:37 pm »
Why don't you log them on Bikejournal, Del, and show GruB up for the slacker he is?

And how many miles did you do today?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #257 on: 15 June, 2008, 11:06:30 pm »

I was hoping no one would mention this :-[.

In case you are all wondering, my knee is now bloody painful
Pen Pusher

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #258 on: 15 June, 2008, 11:08:02 pm »
This really is Knee Weekend.

« Reply #259 on: 15 June, 2008, 11:15:06 pm »
And how many miles did you do today?
I can't believe I missed the distance! 286.3Km or about 177.9 miles for the metrically challanged.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #260 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:48:41 am »
I left MK Sat evening at 19.30 for a 215 ride over via Olney, March and Thetford. Arriving at 04.30 (with an hour down time) to be handed a cold cider, which went down well.
3 hrs sleep and I was up again ready to go. Great ride on the constantly up and down, rolling countryside that is Suffolk, a few drags up hill but also some good descents.
A few more ciders were drunk along the way and it was onto the train back to Hitchin and a few more hills to finish the day off at 23.00 with over 300k and a well deserved curry.

Good ride Annie, really enjoyed it  :thumbsup:

Rich.

« Reply #261 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:43:47 am »
My pictures here, Clicky.
The full size, 1600x1200, will go up on picasaweb, see sig for link, throughout the day.

annie

« Reply #262 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:14:49 am »
My pictures here, Clicky.
The full size, 1600x1200, will go up on picasaweb, see sig for link, throughout the day.

Superb pictures as always, thank you Del. 

Mine are currently uploading, be with you very soon.

« Reply #263 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:22:02 am »
Great ride in wonderful countryside, thanks to all and especially Annie for organising it. The unplanned stop for bacon butties at the village hall in Whatfield was especially welcome. I rate myself the saddest (and oldest?) person for instantly recognising the nose of the Jowett Javelin on display in Whatfield!

It was very interesting talking with Mike Burrows over lunch about the cycle industry and technologies too.

« Reply #264 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:38:29 am »
Great ride in wonderful countryside, thanks to all and especially Annie for organising it.
I agree with that and may I just say what a smashing blouse you're wearing.

annie

« Reply #265 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:05:24 pm »
Great ride in wonderful countryside, thanks to all and especially Annie for organising it.
I agree with that and may I just say what a smashing blouse you're wearing.

So bad :o

« Reply #266 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:18:45 pm »
A very enjoyable weekend  :thumbsup:

Not been back long as we decided to just put a load of miles on the end for the sake of it!

Wasn't feeling too well before lunch on Sunday which is probably why I look so miserable in most of the pics! Soon perked up though and really enjoyed the blast in the afternoon.

Great weather too. I just looked in the mirror and I now resemble a panda!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

annie

« Reply #267 on: 16 June, 2008, 11:21:55 pm »

I was hoping no one would mention this :-[.

In case you are all wondering, my knee is now bloody painful

Sorry to hear it is sooo painful.  My elbow is a little on the sore side but my hip/bottom is even more tender than last night. 

There must be something about railway station car parks and me on a bike or a bent?

annie

« Reply #268 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:08:48 am »
Some pics here

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #269 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:19:24 am »
Lovely pics Annie...getting a bit worried by your apparent foot fetish though  ;D ;D

annie

« Reply #270 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:35:34 am »
Some of my favourites

The masked man (Rich)

The birthday boy Woolly

Winner of the best bum (Delthebike)

Best sun tan (Del again)

Goings on

Mmm

Doing a 'Nutkin'

« Reply #271 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:27:17 pm »
Nice piccies Annie.  :thumbsup:

Is there such a thing as light blocking head cream??

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #272 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:29:31 pm »
Nice piccies Annie.  :thumbsup:

Is there such a thing as light blocking head cream??

Yes. You grow it yourself.  ::-)

annie

« Reply #273 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:08:52 pm »
Hard to believe that a little over a year after starting to ride and joining the forum I would be planning yet another Suffolk Ride.  I can only equate the job of organiser to that of a shepherd/ess, whose role is to look after a flock of sheep or cyclists in this case, trying not to lose any stragglers and rounding up any who wander from the path using TEC’s. 

Peli, Woolly and Tourist Tony arrived Saturday night, a meal was enjoyed together with beer for the boys and water and OJ for the girls.  Rich was cycling over from Milton Keynes, (because he could) and would arrive with the dawn chorus.  Cider was chilling in the fridge and so it was that everyone made their way to bed shortly before midnight and Woolly’s birthday.  I stayed up to clear away the remaining pots and pans, sort out the dogs and check I had the breakfast things ready for the morning.  I managed to crawl into bed just before 1am when I received a text from Wow to say he would be unable to attend, something to do with Niagra Falls and I know he didn’t mean the waterfall.  You were very much missed, as was Nutkin, Andrij, Chris S and everyone else who was ill or otherwise detained.  I must have dozed off just after 1am and had a delightful text from Andrij shortly before 2am, thank you for the wonderful picture, I couldn’t focus properly so no idea who it was in the photograph but could make out a bottle or was it a glass of something fizzy.  Sleep never came after that but a text from Rich at around 4.30am had me up and throwing on my jim jams in a hurry, yes they were on inside out and back to front but who cares.  Rich enjoyed a bottle of cider and a couple  of rounds of toast, sorry I wasn’t very chatty or coherent, he then snuggled down on one of the sofas whilst I crawled back into bed to listen to the birds singing before getting up about 40 minutes later to see to the dogs and have a strong coffee.  It was then I remember someone saying that they hoped I didn’t have another off at the station, famous last words.

Folks started to arrive after breakfast, text messages were received , tyres pumped, cream applied, jelly people placed within easy reach and bidons filled.  We rode out across the Campingland and under the bridge, not really designed for people over 4ft 6”, sorry Woolly and Rich.  At the station we met up with two American guys riding bents, names withheld as they aren’t yet on the forum.  It was a sight to behold outside the Swan Public House, bikes and people of all shapes and sizes. 

I blamed lack of sleep on my next mistake, about a mile into our journey Delthebike asked where Bobb and Erron where, gulp, I had no idea.  Thanks to Woolly and Peli for rounding up the lost sheep and returning them to the rest of the flock.  The road out from Needham Market is fairly flat although once we turned right off the main road it all became rather lumpy and bumpy and no my sit bones were just fine thank you.  The Suffolk countryside delighted as always.  We regrouped at Somersham whilst the American’s headed off and followed my instructions.  I did however forget to mention that it was the second turning and not the first.  Bazzerp and I set off to look for them, returned to the group to send them on and then headed off again to find the stragglers.  It was agreed that the group would then meet at Whatfield.

It was at Whatfield that we met a chap and his wife who were demonstrating some old farm machinery and had a fine display of Sunbeams motorcycles and a bike, pics were taken and then we were told that the Village Hall was open for tea, cake and bacon butties, amazing how these three words can increase the speed of 20 hungry cyclists.  It was on leaving the hall that Woofage had a clipless moment and made a mess of one of his knees, I didn’t witness this myself.  Whatfield was also the place where TT had a clipless or cleatless moment and become lodged into his pedal, the shoe was removed and fettled until working order had been resumed.

The rest of the ride was a delight, lots of ups and downs and then on to lunch at the Six Bells in Preston St Mary, food and drinks were consumed and chit chat filled the room with a gentle hum.  Just before we arrived at the pub I stopped at the green triangle to point people in the right direction, one poor unsuspecting chap had a bit of a shock as he was told where to go and then I realised I didn’t have a clue who he was.

We left the pub and rode on to Brettenham and then towards Hitcham, Bildeston and onto Wattisham and Battisford, the place of that nice little hillock, sorry Bottlemasher, I think you said I was in trouble or words to that effect, all character building stuff.

There was a great race over the course of the last couple of miles that left my lungs aching and my eyes bulging but it was great fun.

Going back to earlier when someone mentioned about me and having an off at the station.  Last year on the Suffolk Ride I had an off even before we had set off from the station and this year looked to be no different in terms of location.  It was at least at the end of the ride but it wasn’t on my bike but a rather pretty prototype that belonged to Bottlemasher, details not necessary but it involved a large steel barrier thingie, the bent and me.  Really sorry about any damage caused, I owe you big time Bottlemasher, just name the price.

Then it was back to mine for tea and on to the pub for a quick half with Bobb and Erron.

Well done to Delthebike who rode to the ride from Southend and back again, I believe it was his longest ride to date. :thumbsup:

Thank you to everyone for making this ride so wonderful, after all it is people that make a ride.  Stick a like minded bunch of people anwywhere in this country, be it on 2 wheels or 3 and they will have a great time, smiles, laughter, comradeship, sharing of stories, forging of friendships and perhaps even more.

Marmite sandwiches consumed during this ride - 0

Bottoms traumatised - 0 that I know of

Chris S

« Reply #274 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:15:55 pm »
Bottoms traumatised - 0 that I know of

Wowbagger's  ;D