Author Topic: Booking Hotels in USA ?  (Read 1686 times)

Booking Hotels in USA ?
« on: 18 February, 2009, 10:00:44 am »
I've got to book hotels for the start and end of my forthcoming US trip.

Is it best to  book direct or is there any advantage  to going via Expedia or similar ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

bikenerd

Re: Booking Hotels in USA ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:04:17 am »
For our Boston trip, we just booked everything direct.  Although we're staying in B&B style accommodation, every one had a website, answered email, was able to take credit card details and was cheaper than expedia!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:13:08 am »
My brother checks on the discount websites for hotel bookings, and then phones the hotel and asks them can they beat the website deal.  Normally they do stuff like match the price but throw in a free breakfast. Saves him a lot of money.

« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:15:04 am »
we use hotwire.com for hotel bookings, although you dont know exactly which hotel you're getting (you just know the area), it seems incredibly competitive and so far at least, we have only had nice places.

« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:18:23 am »
I second the recommendation for Bed and Breakfasts rather than hotels.
Last time I was in California was several years ago. We found that looking for B+Bs turned up nicer, friendlier places than ths standard chain motels and hotels.
If I was to go again, I would get the Rough Guide or similar and phone or email B+Bs along my route.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:42:02 am »
Yup - definitely do your research online (via the big sites like Expedia if you want to) and then speak direct to the hotels and B&Bs.  It helps if you can call from work, of course...

That's what I did the last couple of times I've been to the USA and it works really well.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2009, 11:28:40 am »
Discounts are always available if you phone in person, even in many Manhattan hotels.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2009, 11:30:31 am »
It's just for the start and end. I'll probably just camp in between.   I've got the names of the hotels that Liz and Charlotte used on their trip so may use them.  Got to check if the SF one will let me post a bike bag to them from Seattle.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:52:06 pm »
Direct - avoid Expedia : expensive and they take your money straight away.  Everything is a deal in the US .. negotiate :thumbsup:

Rob

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2009, 05:57:26 pm »
When booking a hotel, either through Expedia (or similar) or direct, we always use TripAdvisor.  When we went on our US trek over Christmas, the reviews were spot on!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:46:44 pm »
I took the easy option of online booking for 2 nights at the Seattle Space Needle Travel Lodge.  $148

I'll send some emails to places in SF.  There are a couple that people here have recommended, and I've also found one called The Gaylord.....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 19 February, 2009, 09:18:41 pm »
Yup - definitely do your research online (via the big sites like Expedia if you want to) and then speak direct to the hotels and B&Bs.  It helps if you can call from work, of course...

That's what I did the last couple of times I've been to the USA and it works really well.

Charlotte, if you have an account with 18185.co.uk, you don't have to worry about phoning from work. They charge 0.5p/min and only bill you once you owe a few quid.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 19 February, 2009, 09:29:05 pm »
I always use placestostay.com.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.