Author Topic: Condor  (Read 6386 times)

Condor
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:02:49 pm »
I've just dropped two Ergo levers in to them for refurbishing. They say they'll phone within a week to tell me the cost. Nice that I could wheel the Brompton in out of the rain.

I shall report back.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Condor
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 11:57:41 am »
A few years ago I needed some new shoes.  As a happy Carnac user, I went to Condor, from whom I had purchased a Several of pairs in the past.

"Do not" said the lad, "buy the new Carnac shoes.  They are made in a different factory from the old ones, from cheese.  I refuse to sell them if I can possibly avoid it."

"Butbutbutbut!" I exclaimed

"I've got one pair of last year's in size 45, if that's any use" he said.

I bought them on the spot, plus another two pairs off the Interweb for stockpiling.  These should last me until the state withers away and perfect communism arrives I am too stout or infirm to be able to fasten the straps.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:48:38 am »
I've just dropped two Ergo levers in to them for refurbishing. They say they'll phone within a week to tell me the cost. Nice that I could wheel the Brompton in out of the rain.

I shall report back.

They arrived back today. I had to phone them because they'd mis-written my number, but they then returned my call, and persisted until I was in the office.

Now...do they work...

Jakob

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »
Avoid the lunch time rush hour and Condor is great. I go there maybe once every 3-6 months, but still get treated like a regular.
They're not especially cheap, but they have most things in stock, even odd bolts and bits.

Jakob

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 03:17:28 pm »
I forgot to mention that they put a snazzy Condor keyring in my bag last time. (Some kind of 60 year anniversary thing). Very nice.

Dave

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:51:56 pm »
This says more about me and my prejudices than them, but I'll post it anyway...

Killing time before meeting MSeries, Adamski, Clarion and Butterfly for BEER, I popped into Condor so that I could feel suitably smug about the fakengers, city boys and £200 Rapha jackets, yadda, yadda.

But, suffering from a bout of "I'm in a bike shop, I ought to by something" and avoiding the very tempting £95 Fizik saddle, I bought some Nuun and some Torq bars. All in about 12 quid. (Bear in mind I'm wearing most of a suit, and look (vaguely) like a city boy.)

Blokey at the checkout looks at them and says "Eh, call it a tenner".

Bugger.

So. :thumbsup: to Condor and ::-) to Dave.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 01:11:47 pm »
They are listed on the LCC website as giving the 10% discount on accessories, but I have heard elsewhere that they won't give it to you on some items. Anyone else heard this?

(I'm not talking about bikes; I know many shops don't the discount on bikes).

αdαmsκι

• Twitter @Dr_AAY Instagram @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 02:57:34 pm »
I've never had any issues with receiving a 10% LCC discount at Condor.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 03:26:10 pm »
Apparently they like to refuse it on their more expensive accessories, claiming that they have less of a markup on those so can't afford it.

We shall see.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 03:56:28 pm »
They wouldn't give me the discount on the big Campag corkscrew.  I wasn't going to bicker too much, as it was a wedding present for a cycling friend.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 08:03:33 pm »
Ok I can now clarify this: they don't give discounts on Campag or Assos.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 05:28:34 pm »
Or Rapha  :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 05:57:06 pm »
Well, that's three brands I can't afford ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 08:30:38 pm »
I hadn't been buying any of that stuff, mind; I just asked them what their policy was while buying a rather pretty Buff (got the discount on that so I was happy).

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 09:53:51 pm »
I just asked them what their policy was while buying a rather pretty Buff

So are you going to post a picture of you in the Buff? :P

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 11:26:13 am »
What's the likelihood of Condor throwing in any bits for free on a bike purchase of around £900?
I'm thinking slim to non-existent , but if anyone's scored a freebie in the past, let me know how.

It's a bit of a shame really - I'm buying through the bike2work scheme, and if you buy through Halfrauds (who manage the scheme) you get a Halfords voucher worth 10% of what you're spending. But not if you're getting a Condor.  :'(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 11:29:39 am »
Freebie?  From Condor?! :o

Well, no harm in asking, I suppose...

Just don't hold your breath.
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 09:41:21 am »
I am now the expectant owner of a shiny new Tempo, due for delivery in about 5 weeks. I can't praise Condor highly enough for the buying process.

Went in for the second time last night as I couldn't get onto the jig first time around, and Rob spent a good half hour setting it up and testing different frame sizes, bar height etc, and another half hour sorting out my current bike and letting me faff around choosing bits and bobs. Suffice to say that I'm going up a frame size, with narrower handle bars, Brooks honey B17 and sort of matching bar tape (not the Brooks tape at £33 a roll!!). He also took the time to sort out the setup of my current bike (a Fratello) with a longer stem, and totally re-adjusted the seat position for me based on the jig results. He was also endlessly patient in totting up the package to the full cycle-to-work voucher value.

It was the bike shop equivalent of being pampered in a high end beauty salon. A treat worth waiting for. Now I just need the bike :D

Interestingly when we were sorting out what gear size I should ride at, it turns out that I am charging around town on my geared bike at about 83". I couldn't quite believe it. The Tempo will have a much smaller gear (71" or 73", can't recall which) so it will be a bit of a shock to the system having to twiddle like mad to get any kind of speed up.

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 10:08:05 am »
You'll be surprised how quickly 73" gets up to speed and how fast you'll be able to go on it.
You are fast though. I had trouble staying with you on the Dun Run, so don't underestimate yourself!

PerkyGirl

• A big fan of Peanut Butter Clif Bars
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 08:03:38 pm »
It was the bike shop equivalent of being pampered in a high end beauty salon

Perfect description!  I bought my first 'proper' bike (champagne Fratello, soooo lovely) from them earlier this year...they couldn't have been nicer.  I did the bike-to-work-thing and they were totally flexible, allowing me to add more cash to it....so much better than the Halfords nightmare stories I have heard from other folks.

PG

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 02:21:20 pm »
I bought a complete bike from Condor about 5 years ago. The list price was about 500 quid. I checked it out and the sales guy seemed ok when I said I wanted to check a few other shops first. I came back and agreed to buy it. It was only then that he said he'd go to his boss to see if he could give me a discount! He sold it to me  for 450. I never asked for a discount and had already agreed on 500!

Last time I was in there though, they charged the arse off me for the kind of parts most lbs would give you for nothing out of the spares bin....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 02:39:04 pm »
My Bike To Work Tempo was collected from Condor a week ago. Its a marvellous bike although the customer service from Condor was slightly flakey at times. I think this was probably due to me ordering by phone rather than appearing for a bike fit (a two hour trip each way). It meant that I had to phone back to Condor with various measurements, stem length, bar width etc. ad often it was difficult to get hold of the same person and then it appears my paperwork went missing.

Anyway, in general it was a positive experience dealing with Condor. Despite the slight hiccup with the lost paperwork they made up for it with professional sales-people and prioritised my bike build so the wait was not much longer than it should have been. Collection and payment with the BTW voucher was easy. It was the first time I've ever gone into a bike shop, left with a shiney new bike and had £150 loaded onto my credit card :thumbsup: (refund from my £200 deposit when I presented the 1k BTW voucher)

Owner of a languishing Langster

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
    • Occasional wittering
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 08:07:49 am »
Just had my first experiences with condor, purchasing a frame set. I have to say it was one of the best experiences I've ever had from a bike shop. Really professional, very friendly and helpful.

From the moment I emailed them with a couple of specification queries on the frame, I got quick answers back from belinda, we talked stock, they were low on the colour I wanted in the size I thought would be right, but she'd reserved one for me (could be a classic selling technique mind, telling me it's the last one!).

Reviews I had read varied dramatically from the best service ever, to the worst, most ignorant staff ever. Many of the reviews said avoid the busy times like lunch, weekends etc.

So I popped down first thing Tuesday morning and asked for pete as suggested in my conversations with belinda. A very helpful friendly chap indeed. I had assumed that as I was buying a frame set that I would be a low priority and they'd sell me the frame in a very unfinished state.

We chatted through my intentions for the frame, he agreed that the size I suggested sounded right, but got me onto the measuring jig, spent a good time with me, choosing stack height and stem length. This I was most impressed with and was not expecting. I agreed to buy the frame, along with a new stem. He said they'd prepare the frame, cut the steerer, fit stem etc. And it would be ready the following lunchtime! 

Got a call bang on midday the next day to tell me the frame was ready, I was in town, so popped over. Again, really polite efficient service.  Pete was over the other side of the shop, but came over, remembering my name and wished me all the best with the new frame.

Really i am impressed. The frame has been prepped nicely, all the eyes had bolts in (that even had copper slip on them!). Only slight disapointment is the BB threads still had a little overspray in them, it looks like the tap used to clean the threads wasn't very sharp. No big deal.

All in all, a very pleasurable shopping experience and I can not recommend them highly enough. However, when I went to collect the frame at lunchtime, the shop was full of city types buying up rapha gear like their lives depended on it. So worth avoiding at these times, if only to not have to share oxygen with the blood-suckers.

Great shop!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 10:11:42 am »
Very good. :)
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 10:16:33 am »
Bought my Fratello from them via CycleScheme and had a proper fitting session with them as part of price of the bike.

Overall a very positive experience (although it's a dangerous place to take a credit card)