Author Topic: Road Rage Incident - Newcastle Under Lyme  (Read 2524 times)

Zoidburg

Road Rage Incident - Newcastle Under Lyme
« on: 26 February, 2009, 03:22:31 pm »
I have just had an eventful few hours - as I was crossing the city from Stoke to Newcastle Under Lyme I finished a climb and began the descent into Newcastle town center, this crosses a roundabout feeding from 3 directions of single lane traffic. The previous set of lights ensures regular gaps in the traffic so you can always slot into the primary position as you aproach the roundabout.

I paused until the roundabout was clear and went for it - centre of the lane to avoid left hooking and other related shenannigans. The driver of people carrier failed to see me until the last second and a said out loud "yes you can see me now".

This didnt stop him from stalking me with the car, straight on my back wheel far to close, quite deliberate.

He pulls along side and starts effing and blinding, looking at me - not the road ahead, all the while he has his small child in the passenger front seat with no booster cushion or restraint.

Him - "you need some brighter coloured clothing on""

Me -  "Its broad daylight!"

Him - "If you want to go then lets go then, I am going to smash your fucking face in - come on pull over here and lets go etc etc"

Me - "I am taking your reg and going to the station"

More abuse follows and then he pulls up at the nearest side street and parks up expecting me to follow him for a bit of fisticuffs boots'n biting. I took this opportunity to take his reg and car make as well as his description.

If you are going to threaten cyclists you should ensure that they do not

A - Have your exact description

B - Have the exact location and time of the incident

C - A police station less than a minutes ride away

The police found him and had words within 45 minutes of the event which I can only describe as a first class result, from the amount of time it took I think they may have pulled him over with the blues and twos flashing which I think may have had more of an effect than a simple knock on the door.

Driver given strong words of advice about his behaviour towards cyclists in future - on the upside he is now known to the police so he will be in rather more trouble the next time he does it to another cyclist.

Now - I know there is a strong argument for saying that I could indeed switch to Hi-Viz clothing and I will give it some thought - I am how ever under no legal compulsion to do so and it did not excuse his behaviour in the circumstances.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Road Rage incident - Newecastle Under Lyme
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2009, 03:32:37 pm »
Astonished the Police were even bothered.  Clearly not in the Met area.
Getting there...

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2009, 03:35:52 pm »
What a knobhead!
Result for you Zoidburg!

« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2009, 03:36:12 pm »
That's great.

didn't they do him for not having proper kiddie seat?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2009, 03:37:22 pm »
I told them that he tried to run me off the road and made threats

I also had a weird photographic memory moment and was able to give them the exact registration, the colour and make of the car and an exact discription of the driver - I also pointed out the exact spot on an A-Z.

A quicker result is likely if you remember to take in all the important stuff - Mr Wowbagger does the same IIRC and has had similar "wins" against dangerous drivers.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2009, 03:38:38 pm »
Astonished the Police were even bothered.  Clearly not in the Met area.

Um yes

*removes large chips from shoulder*

Good result.

I take it that by the time the Police got to him, he was at home, and the kid was no longer at risk?

Especially well done for remembering the driver's description - I find that really hard, even if I've made a note of the reg & co etc.
Getting there...

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2009, 03:42:17 pm »
That's great.

didn't they do him for not having proper kiddie seat?
The constables got to him before they saw me at the station.

From what they said I got the impression he turned in to a bit of a mouse rather than a hardman when they put all of what I had reported to him. He claimed he was shocked and scared by it all. I did say to officers that he was not too shocked and scared by the near miss to then deliberately stalk me with his car.

Lesson learned I hope.

Re: Road Rage Incident - Newcastle Under Lyme
« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »
Well done Zoiders!!!  Respect!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:23:22 pm »
Bit of a result, that.
I wonder if the police were "interested" because it was a "known registation number" to them?  If so, it shows that reporting is important.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #9 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:33:03 pm »
Excellent - nice to know that the local area is a little safer as a result. Tho I don't generally cycle that far south.

« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2009, 09:09:55 am »
good one :thumbsup:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #11 on: 27 February, 2009, 09:19:01 am »
A 'feel-good' story. Well done Zoiders.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 27 February, 2009, 09:22:35 am »
Zoiders, I think your actions there were exemplary and this is a very good example of how we should all behave when confronted with road-ragers.

It sounds to me that your roadcraft was sound (positioning, observation and not being freaked by this bloke when he got too close). You stayed calm and dealt with what could have been a rapidly escalating situation in exactly the right way.  Getting as much detail as you did gave your conversation with the police much authority and allowed them to act quickly.

In short - you're pretty much spot on.  Best practice for us all, I'd say.

As regards the Hi-Viz, unless you want to wear a jacket, I'd suggest that you give it no more thought.  It was the first thing that came into this cretin's tiny head to say.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #13 on: 27 February, 2009, 06:38:43 pm »
Great result.

I'm sick of hi-viz. It's a damning symbol of our country that everyone who is not driving a motor vehicle has to be fluorescent to be considered worthy of notice by the motons. Rebel against hi-viz in the name of civilisation I say (most of the time.....)

« Reply #14 on: 27 February, 2009, 06:45:58 pm »
Great result.

I'm sick of hi-viz. It's a damning symbol of our country that everyone who is not driving a motor vehicle has to be fluorescent to be considered worthy of notice by the motons. Rebel against hi-viz in the name of civilisation I say (most of the time.....)

Yes indeed. Time to rebel.
I suggest setting out in the dead of night and painting all cars bright yellow with scotchlite stripes as a protest campaign. :D

Disclaimer, I'm not being serious.

Zoidburg

« Reply #15 on: 27 February, 2009, 09:51:30 pm »
The media and the Health and Safety ambulance chasing legal culture has planted an idea in the heads of some motons that HV is a legal requirement. Its like supermarket employees who are told to ask for ID and then assume that its a legal requirement for persons of all ages so they then refuse to serve a pensioner. As time goes on I become convinced that HS legislation and that concerned with anti social behavior has become nothing more than a charter for bullies.