Author Topic: Have you got going yet?  (Read 6283 times)

Have you got going yet?
« on: 26 February, 2009, 08:57:57 pm »
Feeling very pleased with myself  O:-) ;D O:-) - I'm on top of the digging (well almost) for the first time this year. The greenhouse is sterilised, and I've got a few things planted. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How are you doing?
Stropping rocks

Re: Have you got going yet?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:05:45 pm »
Over-winter broad beans up about 3", Garlic shooting, shallots planted. Onions from seed about 1" high in greenhouse. Seeds set for parsnips, carrots, peppers, cucumber, tomato, courgettes, herbs, broccoli, sprouts in greenhouse. Potatoes chitting, early peas set. I wish I'd planted more broard beans when I was down there on Sunday.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Si

« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2009, 01:14:11 pm »
almost got a new potato patch dug..hoping to finish next week and so not have yo spray it.

not bothering to chit potatoes this year - didn't seem to make any difference last.

got some strawberries coming on the windowsill

« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2009, 04:59:30 pm »
Not really, started digging over some ground. Potatoes chitting. Nothing planted yet except a water lily in the pond. Still cropping a bit of kale. I'll get going soon tho.

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2009, 05:04:28 pm »
nope, nowhere near.  We've got a big pile of horse poo waiting to be dug in, but that's about it... Only just cleared the dead tomato plant carcasses out of the greenhouse.  The fruit cage was bent to bu**ery by the snow too, so that needs rebuilding.

We have pruned the apple trees, does that count?

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2009, 05:26:34 pm »
Mrs Pcolbeck has put a wire frame over the emergent rhubarb to keep the chickens off. Does that count ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2009, 07:28:05 pm »
It all counts.

John - how are you doing your carrots?
Stropping rocks

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2009, 10:52:14 pm »
John - how are you doing your carrots?

A big pot that I grew early potatoes in last year.

annie

« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2009, 10:55:18 pm »
Going to sterilise greenhouse this week.  Started weeding and picking up cat shit :sick: bloody cats from down the road.  No idea what I shall grow in the greenhouse this year.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2009, 10:42:28 am »
There are seed trays by the patio doors, wher seedlings of lupin, marigold and Livingstone daisies are sprouting.

annie

« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2009, 11:04:42 am »
Greenhouse hoovered :)  Weeding has started in earnest.  Pots washed and drying.  Taking a break.

« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2009, 11:10:03 am »
Going to sterilise greenhouse this week.  Started weeding and picking up cat shit :sick: bloody cats from down the road.  No idea what I shall grow in the greenhouse this year.

Horse muck is so much better for the plants than cat's.  ;)

Si

« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2009, 02:21:28 pm »
Have just pruchased my 1st earlier.
this time from Wilko rather than dobies.  only cost £3 per 3kg as opposed to nearly £6, and you can actually see the state of the ones that you are buying.  Wonder if they will taste as good.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:07:35 pm »
Yesterday was my second visit to my allotment this year - nothing is growing at present except weeds and lots of berry bushes that don't need a lot of care until they start to flower.

Did a lot of digging. More digging still to do!

The good news is that our allotment society has just bought a rotavator that we can all borrow (I've got a large un-farmed patch I've been too lazy to dig) to go along with the heavy and light duty strimmers, and has just acquired a few hundred bags of green-waste rotted compost that is available at a discount

Furthermore they've just  given me a voucher for £10 worth of free seeds so I'll need to decide what I'm going to grow this year :)
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:28:02 pm »
Not had a chance to get out in the garden yet.  Weekends tend to be busy.  Maybe with the lighter evenings...
Getting there...

Chris N

« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:37:27 pm »
Not yet.  Had to knock the old shed (that was standing on what will be the veg patch) down first.  Finished that yesterday so next job is to clear out the rubble, scrap wood and bindweed.  Then I need to get a load of muck (from the dairy farm round the corner, most likely) and dig it in.  That'll have to sit for a while to rot in properly, so I'll need to cover the ground with a membrane to stop stuff growing.  So, chances are we won't get anything out of the plot this year - but we do have potatoes and tomatoes planned, in pots/baskets.

« Reply #16 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:54:13 pm »
Had a good go at it yesterday, dug over a surprisingly large area (no discomfort this morning either, the soil is nice and easy to work three seasons in). Moved my nets for beans etc. Ms P dug trenches for the potatoes, started to tidy up the strawberry bed. Quite a good area ready for planting now.

« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2009, 02:15:32 pm »
Getting the base ready for my new tool store (tiddly little terrace house garden - don't want to lose space to a proper shed) & moving the compost bin today. The well-rotted (or rather, worm-chewed over winter) stuff at the bottom is going on the garden. Very happy blackbird has been taking advantage of the feast thus made available.

Relocated the rosemary bush (trimmed down drastically - it was far too big) to under the bathroom window. Morning sun- a nice smell wafting through the window in summer.

Found a sunny little corner for a few tomato plants in the back garden. That's getting a load of compost in about 15 minutes from now. The ideal spot out the front is out this year, because blight hit them there last year - a perfect blight year. Salvaged some, but the crop was a bit puny, what with blight & the builders trampling some. They apologised, & I have to admit that I can't see how they could have avoided it, so I can't complain about that.

Crocuses are looking good, & irises are shooting up. Should be a good show when they flower.

Next thing is to build the new bike shelter/woodshed in the permanently shady patch up against the neighbours extension. That comes after the tool store is in place & filled up with all the stuff currently under a rotten lean-to in that spot.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #18 on: 03 March, 2009, 11:32:07 am »
Haven't done anything yet but have a few plants that have survived the winter - Japanese onions, chicory, endive and cabbages.  But the broad beans I sowed haven't.

Weather forecast not good for the next week, though.

« Reply #19 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:47:57 pm »
New potatoes, carrots, red beet and parsnips planted last week, lots of things up in the greenhouse - toms, peppers, onions, lettuce, leeks, sprouts, broccoli, etc.

Outside: peas and broard beans are up; shallots and garlic are shooting well; rasberrys and rhubarb are showing a few inches growth and there are buds on the plum tree.

Planted aubergines, outside tomatos and mini sweetcorn in the greenhouse today.

Last autumn I lifted a self-sown asparagus plant and potted it up in the greenhouse over winter. I should have planted it out earlier, in the gap in my asparagus row. Today it was sporting a proudly erect 6" spear!  :o

« Reply #20 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:57:11 pm »
Broccoli is sprouting nicely and the chard has survived again and is ver. tasty. Apple trees are about to blossom and the raspberries have just started sprouting.

we did loads of weeding today and have a tonne of topsoil & mulch to wheelbarrow down to the veg patch during the evenings this week, then we can plant spuds and beans.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #21 on: 29 March, 2009, 10:00:31 pm »
Trying to get ahead of myself but may have over done it.

Spuds in last week [earlies anyway]

Pea supports up.
First lot of peas in the mini-greenhouse sprouted
Peppers in pots indoors
Sweetcorn germinating on the window sill
Runner beans also appeared in the green house
2 rows of early carrots over the last 2 weeks under fleece
80% of the raspberries seemed to have survived.
Onions showing signs of live
October planted garlic going great guns
Spring garlic pokin through.
50% of the pumpkins coming through.
Strawberries have survived.

Got tomorrow off so not sure what to do....a few trips to the stables perhaps and trim the grass. I should really clear the shed out but now the evenings are lighter i can I have a bonfire at 7.00. No contest..
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #22 on: 30 March, 2009, 07:10:00 pm »
Planted many trays of flowers for the garden. Started to harden off greenhouse raised shallots, peas, broccolli etc. Spud bed half dug over. Paths mowed. New guttering installed on greenhouse.

I haven't really been home very much lately.
Stropping rocks

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #23 on: 31 March, 2009, 03:14:58 pm »
I'm chitting some potatoes (Arran Splendour - the blue/purple skinned ones) and they'll be going into potato grow bags when they're ready.

Strawberry plants (Cambridge Delight and Halpi) will be going into grow bags this evening.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #24 on: 01 April, 2009, 12:55:04 am »
I'm chitting some potatoes (Arran Splendour - the blue/purple skinned ones) and they'll be going into potato grow bags when they're ready.

Strawberry plants (Cambridge Delight and Halpi) will be going into grow bags this evening.

Incorrigible ... ::-)