Author Topic: Tudor plusses  (Read 3457 times)

Tiger

Tudor plusses
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:02:51 pm »
Exploring retro kit - bought some plusses from Tudor. I remember Tudor from the 1970's when they wer just about the only brand of kit to be found in the UK - usually in a box at the back of the bike shop. You had to be quite committed to wear 'cycling kit' in those days.
Seriously Old School. Genrous of cut and high of waist. Good thick stuff in some sort of mix slightly stretch knit with pile inside.  Stripey elastic cuffs.  Quite warm - not for summer use.
Lovely touch - one of those sewn 'seams' that such manly kit used to have.
All in all not bad.
Immediate veteran status.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Tudor plusses
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 07:59:26 am »
Old post I know, but how did these work out, well lived, or bottom drawer fodder. Not sure what you meant by the manly seam. Must be a bit dim. Anyone tried their jackets as well. Both prob too warm for use now tho.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 05:33:48 pm »
I lived in my Tudor kit most winters until I gave up cycling.
David adopted my hand-me-downs and still wears the ones whose elastic I have replaced.
I had RED and blue Tudor jackets. I'm not sure what has happened to them...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 05:56:48 pm »
Good kit. I still have one of the jackets from circa 1988. Would definitely consider a pair of the longs for winter.  ISTR recall a pronounced sort of 'piping' which ran down the front of the leg.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:31:19 pm »
The piping was to mimic a press fold.
My M&S pull-up trousers are similarly 'piped'.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:22:59 pm »
not sure about the pluses, but a black tudor jacket has been awarded retro cool points in the pub,

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 12:22:12 am »
I lived in my Tudor kit most winters until I gave up cycling.
David adopted my hand-me-downs and still wears the ones whose elastic I have replaced.
I had RED and blue Tudor jackets. I'm not sure what has happened to them...
in the early 80s I had the Red jacket, the winter longs with double padded seat and 3/4s with real chamois.  They were hugely functional, comfortable and durable ... as I get more retro I'm looking longingly at the Tudor site!

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:26:23 am »
Still available and made near here in Leicestershire www.tudorsports.co.uk I enquired about the nylon fronted jackets by email a while ago, and got an immediate (but non-committal ) reply almost immediately.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 09:54:01 am »
I haz a pair of the tights and the plusses. The tights are great, comfortable, very warm - definitely winter wear only, though I frequently persist with them into spring and boil - but with little zips at the ankles for a bit of cooling breeze. The plusses, despite being the same size, don't fit properly. They're fine round the waist but seem tight around the knees and calves. I'm not sure if the length is wrong for me or they're just getting stuck over my mighty calf muscles! (ok, so the latter is an unreality). They both have the piping down the front - it never occurred to me it was meant to mimic a trouser fold! Who wears trousers like that nowadays, other than to a formal office? The coloured bands are supposed to be 'world champion rings' but I don't think they're in the right order (and what right would Tudor have to use them if they were?)
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:31:30 am »
Of course to be fully retro one has to wear the leggings with braces ....

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 02:29:40 pm »
Each tme I look at the title of this thread, I think Half Timbered!

Used to have Tudor leggings (and braces) in the 1970s. Shame they don't do bib shorts and leggings.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 03:23:41 pm »
My braces for my tudor longs were "la vie claire" patterned  :thumbsup:
Still have a pair of pluses hiding away at the bottom of my "under-bed bike gear store"
Might give them a revival if i ever enter a sportive or something.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 11:05:23 pm »

That's too cool for words ... though I'm currently sporting my La Vie Claire socks from my ride this evening  :D

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 09:41:45 pm »
Still have a pair of pluses hiding away at the bottom of my "under-bed bike gear store"
Might give them a revival if i ever enter a sportive or something.

If they are mediums and you wish to part with them - the under bed Tudor plusses that is - I might be yer man to relieve you of the embarrassment for some dosh?

Wot's a sportive for?

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 10:13:46 am »
I've got a pair of Tudor Sport black longs that I use for commuting. I have to walk through a full office to get to the shower/changing room and feel less self conscious in these than full lycra/Roubaix tights. They're warm enough even for the coldest days. Just to complete the retro look, mine are held up with braces too!

I used to have a pair of Altura winter cruisers, but they aren't tight enough fitting around the ankle and the cold wind whistles up the trouser leg. The Tudor Sport longs don't suffer from this fault.
Sherwood CC - Squadra Giallo Verde

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 10:32:12 am »
All the clothing is still made.
They will also sometimes do special orders should you require.
I got a top in red with black sleeves.
Alas I only have red braces to hold up the longs.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 03:03:18 pm »
I wore the tudor plusses last week for a 200 audax in the rain. They became so wet and so heavy that they sagged down off my bum. Not for wet weather.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 03:29:48 pm »
I wore the tudor plusses last week for a 200 audax in the rain. They became so wet and so heavy that they sagged down off my bum. Not for wet weather.

Where was your oilskin cape?

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 10:29:17 pm »
I have one of these, which was half today's price when I bought it
http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Cycling_Double_Ventile_Jacket.html
a copy of something with a long history.

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 10:40:30 pm »
I have one of these, which was half today's price when I bought it
http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Cycling_Double_Ventile_Jacket.html
a copy of something with a long history.
I've been lusting after one of these for too long. How does it perform - is it reliably waterproof? is it heavy? is it well made? does it get hot and sweaty inside? how small does it pack down?