Author Topic: Amusic BMI-related article in The Register  (Read 1044 times)

Amusic BMI-related article in The Register
« on: 17 March, 2009, 05:02:24 pm »
Obesity witchhunt is a 'moral panic' - sense out of Texas • The Register

My favourite bit:
...it's totally unclear that dying expensively early on from diabetes, heart failure or whatever is a worse result for society than the alternative. The virtuous drunken lardo shuffles off this mortal coil, towards the end of working life or shortly after. His or her worldly goods, home etc pass on to someone younger who probably needs them more - to raise some kids, pay some taxes, contribute to society in general.

By contrast, the parasitical teetotal skinny lives on for decades, occupying a probably badly-needed residence and quite likely costing society more than he or she ever paid in. Then the skinny dies, again expensively, of Alzheimer's or some other disease of thin sober people. The only difference is that society had to house, feed and pay them for a much longer period.

I like the term a 'disease of thin sober people'. Almost sounds like a plural noun.

Chris S

Re: Amusic BMI-related article in The Register
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2009, 05:45:42 pm »
Very good. This is precisely what the Smokers have done for us too. In fact more so, because there's no tax on being fat whereas smokers pay approximately four times as much into the exchequer than they remove in health needs - and yet still check out early so as not to be a burden.

Good work fatties - but top marks still go to the smokers  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »
Precisely. The dude has stolen my long established argument.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2009, 09:27:53 pm »
I've always wanted to be a burden on society.  I guess by cycling and keeping fit I'll accomplish my goal!  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

simonp