Author Topic: I think I may finally be losing it...  (Read 5416 times)

I think I may finally be losing it...
« on: 21 April, 2008, 03:30:44 pm »
So, doop & I had a lovely weekend out on our bikes (doop's first decent ride on his very nice new Condor Fratello, collected on Friday).  We set off on Saturday morning armed with a map and a vague direction (south-east-ish from Bermondsey), with the intention of making the rest up as we went along.

Down through Bromley and Keston to Cudham (where we accidentally went up a sodding enormous and very unexpected hill.  On foot), then to Ide Hill and Chiddingstone Causeway.  Lunch at Langton Green, where there was a Good Beer Guide pub with excellent chips.  On through the Weald to Flimwell and Hawkhurst, then down to Hastings, where my stated intention of avoiding the A21 led us to another 1 in 5 (Stonestile Lane). 

Those paying attention and/or who know the area will have observed that this, whilst only covering about 110k, was pretty damn hilly.  The light drizzle/mist may have actually been a good thing as I was getting fairly warm anyway.  (I actually found myself rather enjoying the greyness - sign one that I may finally be losing it.)

We found a nice hotel on the seafront, and retired after a shower and a splendid curry.  Then up again on Sunday morning for an enormous breakfast, before setting off along the coast to Brighton.  Via Beachy Head.

We skipped out of a bit of the climbing en route to Brighton courtesy of a recommendation by a couple of local cyclists (encountered whilst drinking Harveys at a pub) to take the Undercliff Walk from Saltdene.  Which was v nice.  As were the chips on the beach at Brighton, before train home to pizza & beer. 

An entirely splendid weekend of cycling adventure. 

So, why then am I concerned, as per the title, about my sanity? 

It was the moment, towards the top of some climb or other around midday on Sunday, when I found myself thinking:
"You know, I can kind of understand why some people say they like hills."

It is TOO LATE.  My marbles have departed me.  My cycling fate is sealed. 

Oh well. 

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: I think I may finally be losing it...
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:44:15 pm »
Commiserations.

See you at the support group meeting in Wales next month   :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

annie

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:48:15 pm »
I found myself actually missing the hills today so I know I have lost it, it isn't too late for you though.  Sounds like you had a splendid time.

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:48:53 pm »
welcome to the club  ;D

note that enjoying doesn't imply being good at.

which is another sign of losing it, of course - why would you enjoy something you are cr'p at?
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:55:04 pm »
I think that it is partly due to getting *better*, albeit not *good*, at hills.  I'm now mostly tackling them on the middle ring, until it gets to the 16% and upwards at which point the granny ring is my happy saviour :) 

I've started using the top ring for cruising-speed, now, as well, which I haven't for *years* (I've been a spin-little-gears type since having knee problems, but since riding fixed my knees are stronger and I know I can push a slightly bigger gear, so it makes sense to do so.).

alan

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:28:54 pm »
It was the moment, towards the top of some climb or other around midday on Sunday, when I found myself thinking:
"You know, I can kind of understand why some people say they like hills."

:o
anethma

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2008, 06:44:17 pm »
A couple of images to secure you in your insanity:

Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:59:50 am »
Climbing at that angle on *cobbles*?  No ta.  Cobbles unnerve me (though not as much as gravel). 

Charlotte: it did occur to me that perhaps I was just trying to con myself on in preparation for next month :)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:53:50 am »
My hypothesis:

Hills are not in and of themselves, fun.

The fun comes from knowing that you're now fit enough that hills no longer get in the way of you enjoying a fantastic ride.

Whatever the potential for scenery  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:56:17 am »

Oh but they are!

I know that a long turgid 2.5mph climb up some monster will, all things being equal (which they aren't - bends!) will lead to a few seconds at 40mph+. Lovely!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:00:59 pm »
Climbing at that angle on *cobbles*?  No ta.  Cobbles unnerve me (though not as much as gravel). 

It's what steel bikes made in Belgium are for. Guess the place Clarion and no cheating.

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:02:55 pm »
*slap*

Get a grip of yourself woman!

This insanity leads to... shudder... Colstrope Lane on 73" Fixed.

Save yourself while you still can!

« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:20:35 pm »

On the other hand, a ride with no hills certainly isn't fun (memories of a certain defunct 600).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:54:58 pm »
MSeries, I reckon that looks like Haworth.  Am I right?  It'd have to be fairly early in the morning for it not to be teeming with tourists...
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:56:21 pm »
Go on.  Go on go on go on go on Gwan!  You know you want to try it!*

* Not in the rain - they're rather slippery.  Downhill is also a bit 'loosening'.
Getting there...

« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2008, 02:00:40 pm »
MSeries, I reckon that looks like Haworth.  Am I right?  It'd have to be fairly early in the morning for it not to be teeming with tourists...
No it's Heptonstall.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 22 April, 2008, 02:02:30 pm »
d'oh! :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 22 April, 2008, 05:52:32 pm »
When one is fit there's little more gratifying than a hill, a nice hill; even on a fixed.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #18 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:47:29 pm »
Colstrope Lane!  I have ridden up that several times.  Although never on fixed, no.  That would be crazy talk :)

Peli - hope you rediscover your mojo soon.  Taking it easy for a bit really is the best bet, but not always easy to do...

bobajobrob

« Reply #19 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:57:05 pm »
Jealous of Cheltenham here. I seem to have gained a stone in the last year and am struggling up hills (there's lots of them round here). I'm seriously considering liposuction.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 23 April, 2008, 08:44:56 am »
There is a joy in hills themselves, and, for all the pain and puffing & panting, I sometimes feel disappointed when I get to the top.

I find urban hills less easy to enjoy, however.

You're not mad, you're just finding the cycling nirvana.
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 23 April, 2008, 08:47:53 am »
Hehehehe!  I'm finding myself enjoying the ride home to Biggin Hill more and more too.  At first it was a very painful thing indeed.

I know I like hills when I'm a bit lighter and fitter - on the L2B I get verra verra excited when I see Ditchling approaching.  Maybe it's not entirely fair, since I'm only taking 2.7kg of skates up there instead of 10kg of bike, LOL!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.