Linked Events

• WARTY: 09 May, 2009

Author Topic: WARTY - 9th May  (Read 16369 times)

Re: WARTY - 9th May
« Reply #100 on: 10 May, 2009, 07:47:22 pm »
Just for the sake of completeness, this is the GPS route as recorded by my Satmap Active 10 GPS (edited to remove the travel to and from Marks Tey, and simplified down to 1000 data points using GPS Babel so that Bikely would load it).  I don't think it's a lot different from Wowbaggers original planned route, posted earlier, aside from a few occasions when we made mistakes, or went into carparks for stops.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #101 on: 10 May, 2009, 08:34:52 pm »

There are a small handful of pictures which I took here.

« Reply #102 on: 10 May, 2009, 11:35:44 pm »
I'm really annoyed that I missed this.  Main reason being that I was going to fit a new drivetrain in preparation for today's 200k audax, plus I was knackered from a hectic two days away for work.   The drivetrain didn't turn up so I ended walking down Southend Pier for the first time in 14 years.  It hasn't improved.

Del looks rather angelic here in the shaft of sunlight...

Does his bum look big in that?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Four people walked past carrying a rowing boat along the road, which doesn't happen every day!

It's becoming more common than you think.   I overtook a canoe on one main road today.  Fortunately both carriers were walking on the same side of the road.

« Reply #103 on: 11 May, 2009, 11:30:07 am »
I went down on Burnt Dick at 192.9 RPM.   :o 
My fastest fixed speed to date of 34mph.

What gear were you running del? I hit 34mph at some point on the ride, with 48/18 - 70"

The scariest bit was coming into Boxford over the rumble strips, I was going 32mph there with my back wheel bouncing up in the air! Water bottle came flying out, was recovered but found to have a hole in, so is now destined for the recycle bin.

Was a cracking day out, should have had a hat on - red forehead when I got home, but looking more tanned now :thumbsup:. There seems to be an increasing element of off-roading creeping into these rides, which is no bad thing, although I might think carefully about what tyres to use next time! :P

« Reply #104 on: 11 May, 2009, 11:46:41 am »
What gear were you running del? I hit 34mph at some point on the ride, with 48/18 - 70"
Sheldon says 64.2" on 48/20.

« Reply #105 on: 11 May, 2009, 11:53:51 am »
You are the Spinmeister! 8)

« Reply #106 on: 11 May, 2009, 12:10:41 pm »
You are the Spinmeister! 8)
ITM Angelic Spinmeister.  O:-)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #107 on: 11 May, 2009, 12:34:12 pm »
Was a cracking day out, should have had a hat on - red forehead when I got home, but looking more tanned now :thumbsup:. There seems to be an increasing element of off-roading creeping into these rides, which is no bad thing, although I might think carefully about what tyres to use next time! :P

But it wasn't the off-roading part that pushed tyres to their limit, it was the slippery patch of stones through that ford!  My dignity, such as it was, is still recovering...

Thanks to everyone for a great ride, and especially to the Spinmeister for the loan of his tyre levers.  I've been carting the plastic set around with me for years, but since I'm usually riding tyres which go on and off easily with finger-power alone, I'd never realized just how feeble they'd seem when faced with a tyre-bead which actually fights back.  Will definitely be getting some metal ones now.

...although, between the Ford Incident, the fairy-strike, and the fact that the tyres look disappointingly cut-up for their age, we're thinking pretty seriously about some new rubber for the tandem.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #108 on: 11 May, 2009, 12:37:35 pm »
I was wondering what you were using. They look relatively light compared to ours. I think we will be returning to 26*1.75 Marathon Plus for the Ireland trip. We are currently running Marathons at 26*1.5.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #109 on: 11 May, 2009, 01:13:28 pm »
I was wondering what you were using. They look relatively light compared to ours. I think we will be returning to 26*1.75 Marathon Plus for the Ireland trip. We are currently running Marathons at 26*1.5.

They're the "default" tyres which came with the tandem.  They're from Ritchey and are just marked as "Slick".  A bit of googling suggests that they're probably actually "Tom Slick".  They do roll quite well, but I'm not convinced by their toughness.  My favourite 26" tyres as Panaracer Pasellas, but I'm not sure how well-suited they are to tandem use.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #110 on: 11 May, 2009, 01:15:56 pm »
Thorn put them on their tandems prety much by default, I think, but we had problems with them on our LEJOG, which is why I upgraded to Marathon Plus.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #111 on: 11 May, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »
So.... is the WARTY scoreboard going to be updated?

Oh, and James has decided he doesn't want to be Uncle James so perhaps he could be 'James on the Trike'
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #112 on: 11 May, 2009, 02:06:28 pm »
Oh, and James has decided he doesn't want to be Uncle James so perhaps he could be 'James on the Trike'
I really don't think this thread is a good place to air your pending divorce.  ::-)

« Reply #113 on: 11 May, 2009, 02:12:39 pm »
So.... is the WARTY scoreboard going to be updated?

In a more traditional way, he could be Mr Auntie Helen. ;D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #114 on: 11 May, 2009, 02:25:02 pm »

In a more traditional way, he could be Mr Auntie Helen. ;D
Hmmm... somehow I don't think he'd go for that either!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #115 on: 11 May, 2009, 11:53:08 pm »
What about Trikey Jim?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #116 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:12:27 am »
Triker James probably works out a bit more suitably  ;)

« Reply #117 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:15:18 am »
What about 'Liegedreiradfahrer'?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #118 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:19:24 am »
What about 'Liegedreiradfahrer'?
There is that, but he doesn't speak much German.

« Reply #119 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:31:10 am »
He shall be called "Not a bike Cyril" and be happy with it!  ;)