Linked Events

• WARTY: 09 May, 2009

Author Topic: WARTY - 9th May  (Read 16372 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: WARTY - 9th May
« Reply #50 on: 03 May, 2009, 05:04:44 pm »
Now my Manningtree ride is out of the way I'm looking forward to this one (might try and persuade my husband to come as he had such a good time on the ride yesterday).
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 03 May, 2009, 06:06:35 pm »
OK - here we go!

Meet Marks Tey at 9.30 (8.38 from Lpoo St to which the 8.28 from Prittlewell connects, arriving at Marks Tey at 9.29).

I've arranged 11ses at the Swan in Bures, where we thawed out and had lunch on the Jan WARTY. They have agreed to do tea, coffee, Stella and cake for about 10.30 (we'll cycle slowly!).

Lunch at the Bell, Kersey, who have promised to email me a menu. En route we will have time to look around St. James's Chapel, Lindsey, with a view to eating at about 1 p.m. It's scarcely 10 miles from Marks Tey to Bures and a further 12 from Bures to Kersey by the route I've chosen.

From Kersey we'll head for NCN 1, through Hadleigh and will follow Beeching's Folly through Raydon Great Wood, then back onto the road through Raydon and Stratford St. Mary (there's another CAMRA-recommended pub there). From there we'll weave our way back with the Stour on our right and then another brief bit of off-road to cross the Stour again visit an island in the river by Wissington. The final southward leg will be via Wormingford, Fordham and Ford Street where there's another pub or two which we could visit, and then back to Marks Tey.

Total distance just under 50 miles.

Route here.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #52 on: 03 May, 2009, 06:55:43 pm »
Excellent WB, see you at Marks Tey.  WJ do you want a lift ?

« Reply #53 on: 03 May, 2009, 11:23:37 pm »
Excellent WB, see you at Marks Tey.  WJ do you want a lift ?

Yes please.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #54 on: 04 May, 2009, 08:42:24 am »
I've arranged 11ses at the Swan in Bures, where we thawed out and had lunch on the Jan WARTY. They have agreed to do tea, coffee, Stella and cake for about 10.30
:thumbsup: ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #55 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:14:10 pm »
I've arranged 11ses at the Swan in Bures,
Good call -- a decent pub.
Lunch at the Bell, Kersey,
Good call v2 - also a great pub
From Kersey we'll head for NCN 1, ... (there's another CAMRA-recommended pub there).
bit of a theme creeping in there
.... and Ford Street where there's another pub or two which we could visit,
- count me in!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #56 on: 05 May, 2009, 02:24:58 pm »
Looks like my husband, Uncle James, will be coming on his trike too. We're trying to work out whether he can drive to the start, have the required beers throughout the day and still drive home again. He doesn't want to do the full route that I am doing (cycling to and from the start) as it's a bit too far for him. If he cycles to the start he may peel away at Stratford St Mary and go straight home (5 miles from there). He will decide nearer the day but Saturday's ride was his longest ever (46 miles) and if he cycles to and from Marks Tey, and does the ride,  it'll be nearer 75...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #57 on: 05 May, 2009, 03:04:17 pm »
 :'(
A Third no-show in a row for me.
 :'(

The rowing crew that I coach is competing in their first-ever race at Shrewsbury Regatta.  If they'd been given an early first round, then the first train from here wouldn't have got there in time.  So I was all prepared to bike through the night.  Last weekend I rode there (6am start, arrive 12 noon) to find out how long it takes.  Good news - their first race is 1108, so I can use the train.

But once I've ditched this rowing habit, I'd love to re-establish my WARTY credentials.  If you'll have me.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #58 on: 05 May, 2009, 06:50:58 pm »
Sadly a rather difficult personal situation has arisen that means that I will be unable to attend  :( :(

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #59 on: 05 May, 2009, 09:28:57 pm »
Hi all,
unfortunately I am now unable to make this ride.
See you soon no doubt
ian.

« Reply #60 on: 06 May, 2009, 11:50:11 pm »
I've decided not to go on this ride.

A combination of travel difficulties, too much other stuff to do and general apathy.

sorry.  :(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #61 on: 06 May, 2009, 11:55:26 pm »
So, is anyone in the rapidly diminishing list of attendees going to be meeting up at Liverpool Street for a groupsave?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #62 on: 07 May, 2009, 08:31:30 am »
Looks like 14 of us at the moment. I've heard nothing from the Kersey pub about a menu. I'll chase them up today.

Annie
Wowbagger
Mrs Wowbagger
Delthebike
Fatbloke

Bobb
Auntie Helen
Uncle James
Dasmoth
Emily

TimO
Her_Welshness
Tokamak
Ploddin Pedro

Any more for a WARTY?

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #63 on: 07 May, 2009, 08:52:02 am »
I'm quite tempted but I need miles at the moment and I fear there may too many carbs on this ride. It's a heck of a long drive too.

a great mind thinks alike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #64 on: 07 May, 2009, 08:56:12 am »
I'm quite tempted but I need miles at the moment and I fear there may too many carbs on this ride. It's a heck of a long drive too.

Some of us could take that personally!  ;)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #65 on: 07 May, 2009, 10:24:39 am »
So, is anyone in the rapidly diminishing list of attendees going to be meeting up at Liverpool Street for a groupsave?

Hi Tim

See you at Liverpool St for 8.15?

« Reply #66 on: 07 May, 2009, 01:43:02 pm »
Assuming I wake up in time. :-[ ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #67 on: 07 May, 2009, 10:32:10 pm »
I'm up for this ride; my son returned from Singapore today, and will also come, so that's two more!

« Reply #68 on: 08 May, 2009, 08:22:33 am »
Sadly I'm out this time - life intrudes. Hopefully next one.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #69 on: 08 May, 2009, 09:14:58 am »
Looks like 14 of us at the moment. I've heard nothing from the Kersey pub about a menu. I'll chase them up today.

Annie
Wowbagger
Mrs Wowbagger
Delthebike
Fatbloke

Bobb
Auntie Helen
Uncle James
Dasmoth
Emily

TimO
Her_Welshness
Tokamak
Ploddin Pedro

Any more for a WARTY?

Orienteer & son

« Reply #70 on: 08 May, 2009, 09:18:18 am »
Hello! I've not been keeping up with this thread but I'm very much still on for the ride tomorrow, so see you at Marks Tey at 09:30.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #71 on: 08 May, 2009, 01:36:31 pm »
Anyone planning arriving early for breakfast/cuppa?

« Reply #72 on: 08 May, 2009, 01:48:16 pm »
Anyone planning arriving early for breakfast/cuppa?

Where? If we arrive early, we're driving there.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #73 on: 08 May, 2009, 01:52:30 pm »
Across the A12 from the station car park (over the pedestrian footbridge) is Food, a big deli that does breakfasts and stuff (apparently), although I haven't been in. There were a few other cafés but nothing with an 'eat in' section that I could see. If I find myself there very early (will be coming by bike) I may get myself a cuppa from Food (or was it Cook, or some other snappy name?)

« Reply #74 on: 08 May, 2009, 05:40:18 pm »
OK, thanks! The prospect of a fine cup of coffee always has a slingshot effect!