Author Topic: Which wireless bike computer with HRM?  (Read 4668 times)

Which wireless bike computer with HRM?
« on: 22 April, 2008, 08:33:56 pm »
I know this has been asked a million times elsewhere, but a search on here produced little info. I am fed up with paying silly money for new Cateye brackets so I want another brand.

I'd like it to be wireless, with options for mounting on stem or bars, and to have a HR monitor. It must have a backlight. It must be legible, and it needs to handle 2 bikes and to have a readily available and not overpriced second bike kit.

I am thinking along the lines of the Sigma BC1706 HR.

Any other suggestions? The Blackburn Neuros look OK - any comments on them?

gonzo

Re: Which wireless bike computer with HRM?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:13:43 pm »
I like the Garmin edge (705) as speed is based on GPS, not a magnet.

Oh and it comes with two bike mounting kits.

Someone'll probably be able to tell you about the 205/305 which don't have GPS and are therefore cheaper.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:03:04 pm »
I have a Garmin Edge - its brilliant. I had a Polar CS200 it was cheap tat!

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:16:39 pm »
Someone'll probably be able to tell you about the 205/305 which don't have GPS and are therefore cheaper.

ITYM "which don't have any mapping" as they are certainly GPS devices.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:23:41 pm »

Agreed. The 305 with HR strap and wireless cadence sender can be had for around £200 or less now.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:25:11 pm »

They most certainly do have GPS! What they don't have is pictorial mapping, so they are not much good for navigation. All of the recording features are pretty much identical to the 705.

Edit: sorry Greenbank, didn't notice you'd answered this!

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:27:46 pm »

Agreed. The 305 with HR strap and wireless cadence sender can be had for around £200 or less now.

And, if you don't mind buying second hand, probably much cheaper than that once people start buying the 605 or 705 and flogging their old 305 on eBay.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:28:08 pm »
I have a Blackburn Delphi 6.0 which is the previous incarnation of the Neuro 6.0.

It is very well made and has been very reliable.

a great mind thinks alike

gonzo

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:34:42 pm »
ITYM "which don't have any mapping" as they are certainly GPS devices.

You're quite correct. my brain's fried from report writing!

« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:36:14 pm »
I am planning to get a proper GPS once I decide what is best (705 or "full size" e.g. Colorado), but fr now I am simply looking for a bike computer. The Sigma seems reasonably priced for one that comes with an HRM, but I am finding it impossible to get a "second bike" kit for it.

« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:37:28 pm »
I have a Blackburn Delphi 6.0 which is the previous incarnation of the Neuro 6.0.

It is very well made and has been very reliable.

How does the bike mount work for those, JT? I see it says it can be fitted to the stem but the bracket pictured seems very much of the bar-mount type.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:07:34 pm »
How does the bike mount work for those, JT? I see it says it can be fitted to the stem but the bracket pictured seems very much of the bar-mount type.

I'll check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure mine can only be bar-mounted.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2008, 08:46:14 pm »
No, the one I've got will only mount on the bars.

« Reply #13 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:34:40 am »
Thanks JT. I see that the Neuros come with stem fittings.

I have asked a couple of suppliers if they can come up with the parts for a second bike for the Sigma; if they can do this I'll go for the 1706. If not I'll move on to look at the Neuros but they are a little more than I want to spend.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #14 on: 24 April, 2008, 05:05:32 pm »
I am planning to get a proper GPS once I decide what is best (705 or "full size" e.g. Colorado), but fr now I am simply looking for a bike computer. The Sigma seems reasonably priced for one that comes with an HRM, but I am finding it impossible to get a "second bike" kit for it.

I saw your envy at my Colorado....  ;D

AFAIK Decathlon do spare mounting kits for Sigma bike computers.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2008, 04:15:56 pm »
Doing a bit of fettling preparation for a ride tomorrow. Sigma BC1706 has arrived with all necessary parts for a second bike.
All looks good although the setting methods for the various parameters are very laborious - no wonder retailers have a keypad that connects to them.
Happy with my choice so far - although I am not totally convinced as to the security of the O-ring attachment of the sensor to the fork. Might add in a bit double sided tape once I am happy with it all.

Good service from Zepnat who took the trouble to gather up the required bits and bobs.

Note that the standard Sigma magnet will not work with bladed Kysrium type spokes - unless of course you put the magnet on the very end of the spoke if you can get away with it.

I saw your envy at my Colorado....  ;D

It's a good job. I'll wait for a few reports on the 705 before deciding; it's a fairly substantial outlay at the heavy end of 500 smackers for Colorado + maps.

Tomorrow will be first time I've been on my Van Nicholas in weeks  :D

Edit: setup is actually pretty straightforward, the are no heart rate alarm limits etc to fiddle with. It does help if you RTFM.