Author Topic: Ouch, my ears !  (Read 3826 times)

Ouch, my ears !
« on: 14 April, 2009, 07:39:31 pm »
Just put the new tyres on my second set of wheels, pumped them up and this happened:-

At 6.5 bar. Ouch.

The new tyres look great (Marathon Extremes). I'm worried that I'm so drawn to them- it doesn't seem right.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: Ouch, my ears !
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2009, 07:55:25 pm »
Gaaargh! Don't stop there, show the bike! Show the bike!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2009, 08:10:13 pm »
Gaaargh! Don't stop there, show the bike! Show the bike!

They're not on the bike- tomorrow's, Thursday's and the weekend's rides are all on tarmac so I'm sticking with the Marathon Supremes.
Unless you'd like a picture of those on the bike ?  ;)

Jacomus

« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2009, 08:12:36 pm »
*Hops from foot to foot*

Ooooh, I still wanna see!

*Keeps hopping*
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2009, 08:39:28 pm »
As long as we're clear that it's only because you asked me to.............

The light isn't so good for pictures and the bike is still dirty from the weekend- sorry about that JrG.
A shiny 'photo here:-
Have you been out today?

Hope that's OK  ;)

Jacomus

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2009, 08:44:05 pm »
Eeeeeeexellent.  :thumbsup:

Thanks chocolatebike - that is a sweeeeet looking machine. Was it your idea to go with disks?

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2009, 08:55:04 pm »
Eeeeeeexellent.  :thumbsup:

Thanks chocolatebike - that is a sweeeeet looking machine. Was it your idea to go with disks?

Thanks Jac- I love it more and more as I ride it. The discs are part of the reason- I was fed up of not being able to stop in the rain, wearing rims out in 3000miles (on my Super Galaxy) or brake blocks in ~300 miles........
Being able to spec the discs when I ordered the bike was one of the main reasons that I went for it.
It's not what you would call light though.........

Jacomus

« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:03:14 pm »
That is basically my idea for my next road bike. I am hoping that by the time that I hae saed enough money, Canyon will hae put their prototype STIs with hydraulic brake leers into reality. Otherwise I will go for a large rotor BB7 set up like you are running.

I'e gone down the flighty roadbike route, and decided that our roads are just not conductie to my riding pleasure on such a bike. Its all about large olume tyres and disk brakes.

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:22:43 pm »
Its all about large olume tyres and disk brakes.

's what I've got- tyres are 35C (both sets).
Don't dismiss the BB7s with cable. I've only ever ridden one hydraulic disc-braked bike (Helen's Trek MTB) and I can't say that there's a great deal of difference in ultimate braking power or modulation. The big rotors are probably a large part of that though.
Helen's new bike- this:-

has BB5 calipers and 160mm rotors. While it still brakes remarkably well, it's not as good as mine.
Having said that, it's a cracking bike.

BTW- still having keyboard issues ?  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:30:25 pm »
lovely!!  I've gone for cable BB7s on my peregrine..  not quite finished, so no pics yet.  Next week, p'raps.

« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:31:05 pm »
Just put the new tyres on my second set of wheels, pumped them up and this happened:-

At 6.5 bar. Ouch.

A few more bar and you might have had to start learning sign language.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:36:05 pm »

At 6.5 bar. Ouch.

A few more bar and you might have had to start learning sign language.

Pardon ?

« Reply #12 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:44:36 pm »
We're sorry we can't return any but there is a prize for those that are shown.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Jacomus

« Reply #13 on: 14 April, 2009, 11:22:03 pm »
Did somebody say the ultimate in braking power and modulation? :P ;)

205mm floating saw-edge rotor. 6 pot hydraulic caliper, open system.

Schwalbe SuperMoto tyres (huge, but road specific) Loing the Schwalbe! Are those Marathon Extremes road or off-road?

« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:20:15 am »
I can't see your pictures Jac.

I'm going to use the Extremes for off-road- trails and the like.
Reading the Schwalbe info, it seems that they're also quite fast on tarmac.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:41:13 am »
That is basically my idea for my next road bike. I am hoping that by the time that I hae saed enough money, Canyon will hae put their prototype STIs with hydraulic brake leers into reality. Otherwise I will go for a large rotor BB7 set up like you are running.

I'e gone down the flighty roadbike route, and decided that our roads are just not conductie to my riding pleasure on such a bike. Its all about large olume tyres and disk brakes.

So you'd be looking for something like this:

which is the same frame as Mike was referring to upthread

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2009, 07:53:41 pm »
I really like that, Chocolatebike - I first noticed the set-up in a photo taken during Martin's Hilly some time back (I assume that was you). Very interesting. Did Enigma make the fork?

« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2009, 07:55:44 pm »
lovely!!  I've gone for cable BB7s on my peregrine..  not quite finished, so no pics yet.  Next week, p'raps.

They are a great brake Mike. I posted a thread on my experiences fitting one - within it there are links to tutorials etc on setting them up (I hadn't had a disc brake before). Totally hassle free once set up right.

« Reply #18 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:27:41 pm »
I really like that, Chocolatebike - I first noticed the set-up in a photo taken during Martin's Hilly some time back (I assume that was you). Very interesting. Did Enigma make the fork?

That wasn't me ! I posted in Member's Bikes when I first got the bike (10 months after ordering it  ::-) ).
The fork is indeed from Enigma and the only fault I can find so far are the rather large fittings for conventional rim brakes. I'd rather it didn't have them. The rear triangle has them as well. Hey ho.
I love this bike  :thumbsup:

Lovely bike Paul and I'm looking forward to seeing Mike's.
Bring on the discs.

« Reply #19 on: 16 April, 2009, 12:04:11 am »
What is the fork like when you really have to throw the anchor out?

Discs are the way to go, no doubt about it.   

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #20 on: 16 April, 2009, 12:23:47 am »

Lovely bike Paul and I'm looking forward to seeing Mike's.
Bring on the discs.

Thanks

Discs are definitely the way forward for commuting or touring I think unless you're a real 'weight-weenie' . Once I tackle the weight above the saddle I'll look at reducing it below :)

« Reply #21 on: 16 April, 2009, 09:45:13 am »
What is the fork like when you really have to throw the anchor out?

I've not given it a second thought so I guess that says everything. I've certainly not noted any flexing but, given the construction of the thing, I wouldn't expect any.

« Reply #22 on: 17 July, 2009, 03:00:22 pm »
JRG- I think that I've found the Canyon bike that you were referring to:-

Canyon | Project 6.8

Two front calipers and tiny discs. Brilliant  :thumbsup: