Author Topic: Pothole go-slow to 'calm traffic'  (Read 1556 times)

Pothole go-slow to 'calm traffic'
« on: 16 April, 2009, 06:22:15 am »
An Essex parish council wants potholes to be left unfilled for longer to act as a "natural traffic calming" measure.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8001310.stm

I like the idea of slowing traffic down, but going into a large pot-hole on a bike is no fun.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Pothole go-slow to 'calm traffic'
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2009, 06:34:50 am »
"Critics say uneven roads are a danger to cyclists and motorbike riders and could lead to more insurance claims."

Oh no, not higher insurance claims, what a disaster. Let's not worry about broken bones or even death, so long as the insurance companies aren't hurt.  ::-)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2009, 08:36:49 am »
Yup, it's a breach of duty of care.  The parish are only thinking about cars, not other road users - typical thinking.   ::-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2009, 09:17:58 am »
They would be hammered by a court if someone was injured and they had an explicit policy of non-repair (as opposed to the covert policy that Merton prefer).
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2009, 09:41:11 am »
My local council recently ad to pay me for damage done to a wheel by a pothole that I first reported almost a year before.
I had avoided it for over a year and then one dark, wet, night had to dodge an oncoming car and wrecked a perfectly good rim (and got a puncture in the pouring rain).

They have resurfaced the entire stretch now, the inspector who came out to look at it was astonished at how my wheel could be placed into the hole (which was a long crack) and the bike would stand unsupported.

They're now working on a whole load of other potholes elsewhere on my route.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2009, 10:08:54 am »
I read somewhere that average speeds fall when roads are repaired.

Can't find the reference just now, but it did  surprise me at the time, however it looked credible.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2009, 11:11:28 am »

Can't find the reference just now, but it did  surprise me at the time, however it looked credible.

That is surprising!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2009, 12:32:11 pm »

That is surprising!

I *think* I have read something similar - it was a study in the USA I believe. They found that smooth roads in sub0urban areas resulted in a slightly reduced average speed and put the cause as drivers feeling more relaxed and less 'involved' in driving the road i.e. avoiding potholes and 'handling' the car round them
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart