Author Topic: BikeRadar review of Brompton M6R-X  (Read 5028 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
BikeRadar review of Brompton M6R-X
« on: 19 April, 2009, 01:16:24 pm »
Brompton M6R-X Review - BikeRadar

The new 6-speed with wide-ratio hub.  Stupendously expensive (£1189) and all that titanium doesn't seem to help much with the weight, which is said to be 26.5lb* in old money, so about a pound more than my steel 3-speed with dynohub, bar ends and a Brooks.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: BikeRadar review of Brompton M6R-X
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2009, 02:03:37 pm »
Since Brompton have always done bespoke solutions, I imagine you could just order a normal bike (ie no titanium bits) with the BWR hub.  Looking at their website, it looks like it'll cost you another £120, although I expect it depends on what base model you are tweaking.
Actually, it is rocket science.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2009, 03:34:37 pm »
I'm waiting for a new M6L to arrive.  It's spec'd with the new wide range hub and with a brooks, it comes to about £800.  I must admit that I didn't think the extra cash for the ti bits would be worth it.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2009, 05:46:41 pm »
It's not.  You can get a lot of the weight saving from just the Ti (now Al) seatpost, and the Ti one misses out the pump, which is a cunning way to save another 1/3 pound or so.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2009, 08:43:18 pm »
Thanks for the pointer.  I'm on the threshold of going out for a S6L myself - being a shortie the M-style bars are a bit too high for me, and I do prefer a bit of forward lean.  I'm used to half-step gearing - in fact prefer it - so don't think the shift pattern will pose any problems.  I have wondered if those triggers could be replaced with twistgrips, though - I'm sure I've seen a S-A three speed twistgrip, and a standard front shifter gripshift could operate the derailleur, given it only has two positions.  Or is there something I've missed?

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2009, 09:21:40 pm »
The bars are standard diameter so you could, at least in theory, fit other shifters.  They are a bit narrow though, so a Raleigh Grifter twist shifter (the only SA gripshift I know) would leave no room for a normal grip.

The standard Brompton triggers work OK, they just look rubbish.  I thought about replacing with a 1970s chromed SA trigger, but although it's an infinitely higher quality item, it wouldn't suit the bike.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2009, 11:26:01 pm »
The bars are standard diameter so you could, at least in theory, fit other shifters.  They are a bit narrow though, so a Raleigh Grifter twist shifter (the only SA gripshift I know) would leave no room for a normal grip.

The standard Brompton triggers work OK, they just look rubbish.  I thought about replacing with a 1970s chromed SA trigger, but although it's an infinitely higher quality item, it wouldn't suit the bike.

Modern SA twist grip

The Brompton shifter is a little lighter than the SA trigger.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...