Author Topic: £3000 mistakenly put in recycle bin  (Read 3936 times)

£3000 mistakenly put in recycle bin
« on: 21 April, 2009, 09:51:34 am »

This happened to a neighbour last night. Bin emptied early this morning.

Bin motor will have been emptied by now, as this is a blue bin it should have went to a recycle centre.

Any ideas who to contact?

LEL

Re: £3000 mistakenly put in recycle bin
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2009, 09:57:17 am »
Phone the  council and get put through to the  wast recycling manager - if it is flagged up before it goes on the conveyor, you may get it back.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2009, 09:57:48 am »
Someone living on a landfill in China is in for a nice surprise...

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:01:43 am »
it's likely that the recycling is done by a contractor.

Contact the council or whoever manages the recycling (here it's a separate trust) and get the contact info for the local depot for the recycling contractor.  Contact them immediately - it's possible that the money is still on the truck or at the local depot.  Either way you need to catch it before it gets baled and shipped

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:40:11 am »

Contacted council who gave me number of recycler. The wagon has not returned so at least they know where the cash is.

Apparently recycle waste is given some hand sorting at the site. The next step is to find a white envelope in thirty tons of rubbish.

The odds are low but it could be found.

Thanks all.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:45:54 am »

Contacted council who gave me number of recycler. The wagon has not returned so at least they know where the cash is.

Apparently recycle waste is given some hand sorting at the site. The next step is to find a white envelope in thirty tons of rubbish.

The odds are low but it could be found.

Thanks all.

A 10% reward? No reward for just half of it..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:53:55 am »
Despatch the specially trained retrieving herring gulls. Fly, my pretties, fly!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2009, 11:29:03 am »

9pm Tuesday 21st of April.

Old dear knocks on the door to explain she found the cash behind her sofa.

Phoned recycler this morning, they were OK but not too happy.

Old folks eh?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2009, 11:31:59 am »
Hmmm.  Bet someone enjoyed searching through that lot...
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2009, 11:32:11 am »
Please please please try and convince her that £3000 in loose cash underneath the mattress / down the back of the sofa etc is not a safe saving scheme.  For all their shortcomings, banks are generally a much safer place to store large amounts of money. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2009, 11:40:20 am »
At least you can dust off that balaclava and those black silk gloves now and put them to good use.
It is simpler than it looks.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2009, 04:56:14 pm »
Please please please try and convince her that £3000 in loose cash underneath the mattress / down the back of the sofa etc is not a safe saving scheme.  For all their shortcomings, banks are generally a much safer place to store large amounts of money. :-\

I've heard Icelandic ones are a pretty good bet.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2009, 12:24:24 pm »

9pm Tuesday 21st of April.

Old dear knocks on the door to explain she found the cash behind her sofa.

Old folks eh?

What did you say your address was again? Does your neighbour have a dog?  :demon:
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2009, 12:30:47 pm »
Sorry this is of no real help... but when we went to stay with some friends of the family in Canada a few yrs back (after a conference).  Mr F. had mislaid a historical letter someone had lent him, and he thought it had been thrown away.  So I went with him to the town tip along with wellies and marigold gloves and stomped through the rubbish looking for his bin bag - didn't find it though.  Don't know whether it turned up eventually.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuzzy

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2009, 06:00:47 pm »

We woke up one morning to find the collar from one of our cats- Garfield had been posted through the letter box. About an hour later a colleague knocked on the door and apologised. He said his sergeant had just told him he had found Garfield dead on the road. He had posted the collar through the slot and put Garfield in the rubbish bin :'( I checked the bin and they had been emptied. SWMBO rightly said that she could not leave it at that. I contacted the waste disposal dept at the Council who checked and told me the dustcart was still out. I met the truck at the landfill and explained the situation- dead cat, distraught wife and kids. They said to give them half an hour. I returned to be handed Garfield in a bag. She is now buried in the garden.

Good bunch of blokes my dustmen.

« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2009, 06:03:49 pm »
his sergeant had just told him he had found Garfield dead on the road. He had posted the collar through the slot and put Garfield in the rubbish bin

:o

The mind boggles... I take it this guy wasn't in the victim support end of things?  ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2009, 06:17:01 pm »
his sergeant had just told him he had found Garfield dead on the road. He had posted the collar through the slot and put Garfield in the rubbish bin

:o

The mind boggles... I take it this guy wasn't in the victim support end of things?  ;D

He was a bit of a muppet to be honest ::-)

« Reply #17 on: 23 April, 2009, 06:49:41 pm »
Just be grateful he took Garfield's collar off before posting it through the letterbox then...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #18 on: 23 April, 2009, 07:46:07 pm »
Good bunch of blokes my dustmen.

Ours have a policy of not taking stuff not in the bin. Leaving a slab of lager on top of the bin at christmas means that anything you leave out gets taken, in the bin or not!

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Zoidburg

« Reply #19 on: 24 April, 2009, 05:43:26 pm »
Just be grateful he took Garfield's collar off before posting it through the letterbox then...
I think you would have to flatten it a bit first...

« Reply #20 on: 24 April, 2009, 05:50:08 pm »
Run over - could have been flat enough already.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

fuzzy

« Reply #21 on: 27 April, 2009, 05:26:33 pm »
Oi you lot! This is a dearly beloved ex pet we are talking about- heartless gits the lot of you ::-)