Author Topic: Glueing tubulars  (Read 1746 times)

Jakob

Glueing tubulars
« on: 23 April, 2008, 03:38:15 pm »
So, yesterday I glued on my first tubular. Previous times I'd used Tufo's tub-tape, but since the near-new rims I bought had already been used with glue before, I thought, "Why not".
 The tyres got 3 layers of glue the day before and then gave both the rim and tyre one more layer yesterday.
I had stretched the tyre in advance. It was mounted for 3 days on a rim, but it was still a huge pain to get on. Further, it was hard work to align the tub, once I finally got it on the rim, due to the glue instantly grabbing hold.
 Next time I'll A) use Tufo tubs, as they're supposed to be a lot more stretchy B) go back to Tufo Tub-tape. It takes less than 10 minutes with tape.
On the other hand, I know that should I need to change tyre on the road, I can take a unglued tub and the glue will be more than strong enough to get me home. I'm not sure if it's the same case with tape.

Oh and I got to do the other wheel tonight and I've lost most of the skin on my thumb from pushing the tub on the rim yesterday.

gonzo

Re: Glueing tubulars
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:36:55 pm »
How many different swear words did you use?

The tubs should have a warning; "May cause sudden uncontrolable bursts of tourettes"!

Jakob

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:48:27 pm »
How many different swear words did you use?

Just the universal one:
 "Gnnnnnnneeeeeehhhhhhyyyaaaaaaarrrhhnnnnnnnnnngggg".

Jakob

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:08:02 am »
Second one went on today, with the Misses help. My spare was going to be another Conti (Gatorskin), but I might replace that for a cheap tufo instead!.