Author Topic: You can't adjust the height of the saddle  (Read 4005 times)

Speshact

• Charlie
You can't adjust the height of the saddle
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:30:37 pm »
This morning, the Chief Cycling Instructor, backed up by the Road Safety Officer, of a London borough I work for clarified their position on cycle adjustment. Cycle Trainers can't adjust the bikes - not even the saddle height - but instead have to send a note home with the parents for them to see to it. 

Teaching in the afternoon, one of the bikes had: the rear brake not working at all; rear pads not-aligned; both front and rear cables in dreadful condition; saddle loose and wrong height; headset loose; tyres hardly inflated.

I told the child they would need to get the bike fixed before using it. But the lead instructor said the child could use it in the playground today.

I wonder if she'll be allowed to take it on the road tomorrow in an unimproved condition?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: You can't adjust the height of the saddle
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:48:04 pm »
What ! How ! Why ! Where did they get that smart idea from ?

So they are happy to send a child out on a not road safe bike, even if it is in the playground, that is not going to happen on my watch.

I have taken a child of the course because they did not have a working front brake. And when they forgot their helmet when their consent form tells me that they have too.
#bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:00:16 pm »
Up here the company (which i must stress I have not yet had any paid work from) guidelines relating to adjustments is that if it takes a couple of seconds then do it, but for more lengthy adjustments don't, we're there to teach cycling on the road, not fix bikes, pump up tyres etc.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:59:37 am »
So is it "losing time" they're worried about, or the possible legal responsibility if you alter something and then it fails in some way?
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 03:18:19 pm »
So the kid wasn't allowed to endanger him/her/it's self by not wearing a helmet, but it was allowed to endanger it's classmates by having no brakes??

Geez, remind me to tell my folks not to allow my Sister on any cycling courses!!