Author Topic: Fertile Fibre Coir Compost  (Read 2438 times)

Fertile Fibre Coir Compost
« on: 05 May, 2009, 02:45:59 pm »
Being in need of some (actually a lot of) compost, unable to get the the store (broken knee) and therefore having to order online, I decided to go with Fertile Fibre Coir-based compost.  They do plain coir but also stuff that is blended for seeds or for potting-on.  It seemed to come with good reviews. Normally I get New Horizon organic peat free, but couldn't find anyone to deliver it this year.

However I can't say I've been that impressed.  Some plants have liked it, but others I've struggled to germinate, including ones that usually grow like weeds.  Some of the plants look like they need feeding after a very short time considering it is supposed to be ready to go compost.  The spuds absolutely love it, but the tomatoes (a very closely related plant) really don't like it, and I've been forced to start feeding much earlier.  Courgettes love it, beans love it, most of my flowering plants really don't like it at all apart from Achilleas.

So, probably won't be getting it again.  Anybody else used coir-based compost?
Spinning, but not cycling...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Fertile Fibre Coir Compost
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2009, 04:16:56 pm »
I used to use it but I make my own compost these days.  I too found that it didn't retain nutrients well, though I far prefer it to New Horizon.  Toms are hungry blighters at the best of times anyway.

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2009, 07:25:05 pm »
I would use my own compost except I can't get Mr DS to turn the currently in use heap into the other heap for use, so it's been sitting there for about 3 years.  I've used up all the second heap, mainly dug into the garden as soil improver.  It really is too heavy for me to turn myself.

I've got about a tonne of perfectly good compost I can't use!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2009, 08:20:59 pm »
Our Dairy Crest milkman delivers compost to our home; both peat-free and standard ompost are available.
Beats ordering online.

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2009, 10:21:09 pm »
hellymedic - that would be great, but local milk deliveries have long been history round these parts :(

Those were the days...(I remember when the milk cart was horse drawn etc etc).

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2009, 02:21:57 pm »
You can get compost delivered free by the coalman:

http://www.creativegardenideas.co.uk/
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2009, 06:07:43 pm »
I finally gave up, dug up my tomatoes and re-planted them in some home-made compost (I persuaded Mr DS to turn the heap).  They have immediately perked up and are growing vigorously.  So I guess the fertile fibre stuff doesn't suit the tomatoes.  Most other things are doing alright in it.