Author Topic: Don't bother with Sudocreme  (Read 4604 times)

Don't bother with Sudocreme
« on: 08 May, 2009, 04:03:50 pm »
Tip for all you long distance cyclist's, much better than Sudocreme is Conotrane. Most Chemists stock it but you will have to ask - that's because it's £1.30 a tube so they hide it under the counter.

It's non-messy and smells pleasantly of Fresias, which is more than can be said for the area of application.

use it before your ride & occasionally during a long one.

So perhaps rename the board pass the Conotrane? not the same ring really

:thumbsup:

ChrisO

Re: Don't bother with Sudocreme
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2009, 04:06:43 pm »
not the same ring really

Are you sure about that ?

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2009, 04:07:01 pm »
I don't bother with an creams/cremes/lotions/potions.

Just make sure you keep that area down there as clean as possible.

On multiple day rides you want clean shorts each day too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

DanialW

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2009, 04:08:19 pm »
It's non-messy and smells pleasantly of Fresias, which is more than can be said for the area of application.

Speak for yourself.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2009, 04:16:24 pm »
I don't bother with an creams/cremes/lotions/potions.

Just make sure you keep that area down there as clean as possible.

On multiple day rides you want clean shorts each day too.

agreed

If you need botty creme, it's a sign that something else isn't right.

The subtitle of this board has always seemed slightly inappropriate to me.  Just slightly, mind ;)

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2009, 06:39:35 pm »
Take the advice seriously - it's free & from long experience.

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2009, 06:46:25 pm »
Sorry Sleepy, i don't think anyone was taking the mick - just that botty cream is a perennial topic of interest, so the answers are bit more flippant than perhaps is warranted :)

Sharing of experience is always welcome here.  As are you. 

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »
If you need botty creme, it's a sign that something else isn't right.

No, it's a sign you have fortunate physiology, all else being equal (ie.good bike setup)  I have a dvd with a clip of Erik Zabel applying cream to his shorts pad before a tour stage.  The entire pad was coated with a thick layer.

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2009, 07:11:36 pm »
well if it's good enough for Eric It's good enough for me, I remember a thick application of French stuff on PBP by a Massuer, she looked like my granny, I was backoned across for treatment, but knew how to rub tired muscles. "pour le derrier"  was the explanation. probably had Novocaine in it!

Seriously though, yes, some don't need it, but it's worth trying, also you may not know what you are missing?
I only use the stuff 'cos every little helps.
 ;)

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2009, 07:39:47 pm »

use it before your ride & occasionally during a long one.

So perhaps rename the board pass the Conotrane? not the same ring really

:thumbsup:

Ok...well, it does not smell of freesias at all....ROSES, not that I have been sniffing sleepy's bottom!  'During a long one' ? Long what?  AND...to use the word ring in the same post as talking about soothing bottoms....so wrong!!!  Maybe it's my mind!  But hey guys, he has sold it to me, it's good stuff,  but i am not offering to rub it in for anyone!
Not just a cyclist's wife!

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2009, 07:42:50 pm »
I tried conotrane after it was tipped in arrivee a while back but I didn't like its dryish consistency compared to other brands.

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2009, 07:51:35 pm »
Well, regardless of what others say - and we're talking significant others here, whom I look up to in the audax world - I packed a pre-sudocremed pair of shorts on last week's 400 and changing into them at the half way point (after a good botty rubdown with babywipes) was sheer bliss. If the Sudocreme helped or not - I know not, but it felt sublime  :).

« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2009, 11:13:56 pm »
I'd use it if I could stand the smell! It's used in the NHS to prevent bedsores so is good stuff - it also helps skin healing if required....

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2009, 11:45:04 pm »
No, it's a sign you have fortunate physiology, all else being equal (ie.good bike setup)

It's a sign that I've spent a very long time getting the equipment and position right

I have a dvd with a clip of Erik Zabel applying cream to his shorts pad before a tour stage. 

I bet he wasn't using a Brooks ;)

« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2009, 11:49:13 pm »
Well, regardless of what others say - and we're talking significant others here, whom I look up to in the audax world - I packed a pre-sudocremed pair of shorts on last week's 400 and changing into them at the half way point (after a good botty rubdown with babywipes) was sheer bliss. If the Sudocreme helped or not - I know not, but it felt sublime  :).

1 - how do you pre-sudocreme shorts without it going everywhere?

2 - I still recall changing into clean shorts after 240 hours (200 miles) .   That felt sheer bliss :)      (No cream used on either pair of shorts - or myself*)

* I prefer a small smear of cream should soreness develop, rather than pre-creaming.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2009, 11:51:05 pm »
Put me down as someone who uses a Brooks and has a good position but usually slaps on some chamois cream for 300+ km rides.  Abrasion just starts to kick in on longer rides.

I guess I just have delicate skin.  I tend to rub layers of skin off my hands as well, despite good gloves.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2009, 12:00:11 am »
It's the sweat crystals that get me.

And don't tell me to "get a brooks" as the last time I forgot to wash/babywipe I got chafing in the armpits, back of knees, and under the neck.  My arse crack was bad, but the least of the areas.

« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2009, 12:09:04 am »
I tried all sorts of potions and the only one that worked was Conotrane.

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2009, 12:46:58 am »
Sorry Sleepy, i don't think anyone was taking the mick - just that botty cream is a perennial topic of interest, so the answers are bit more flippant than perhaps is warranted :)

Sharing of experience is always welcome here.  As are you. 

Sorry Mal, don't you mean "botty cream is a perineal topic of interest..."  ;)

« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2009, 01:16:04 am »
No, it's a sign you have fortunate physiology, all else being equal (ie.good bike setup)

It's a sign that I've spent a very long time getting the equipment and position right

.... and you think Erik hadn't?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2009, 10:23:00 am »
I have just been to the Chemist and bought 100ml tube for £1.19. I will be trying this soon. If it works it is much cheaper than Assos stuff.

Just for the record I do not suffer chaffing but hair folical infections. I do not need lubrication but stuff to stop the infection. So this is not a bike setup or saddle problem. I finished BC (400km) with no sorness or chaffing at all.

Before the 'wise one' posts I do wash before each ride and change shorts and wash between days on long rides.

Lets hope this works.

As a cheap skate Northerner I appreciate the cheapness above all else!
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2009, 10:48:42 am »
Seriously though, yes, some don't need it, but it's worth trying, also you may not know what you are missing?
I only use the stuff 'cos every little helps.

I understand where you're coming from, but if every little helps...

Do you take the maximum recommended dose of Ibuprofen throughout the ride too? Even if you've got no symptoms? I find it helps alleviate many of the little aches, pains and niggles and makes the whole thing even more pleasant.

Actually, I don't, I only use it (Ibuprofen) when I need to, like I'll only use Sudocreme et al when I need to.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

yello

« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »
I use sudocreme and conotran (not together). I thought the two to be different things but having just read the labels and can see they have the same intended purpose. Sudocreme, I used for the ride itself. I get sweat rashes so it keeps those at bay.

Sudocreme is thicker and so I presume it lasts longer, is more heavy duty, whatever. Conotrane I use after a ride and after showering if I'm feeling a bit sore. It being lighter makes it much easier to apply and is more comfortable when in civies. If my thighs are looking really red and angry then I also apply some daktarin.