Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 398581 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #2775 on: March 31, 2019, 07:44:04 am »
About 70 of them yesterday, at the Wayfarer Centenary ride. Not just the individual bikes but also the mix. Everything from a dual suspension E-MTB through carbon gravel bikes and steel tourers (and a tandem) to SA-hubbed and fixed veteran cycles that were a century old. All ridden (and walked) to the Wayfarer's memorial via road, gravel and bog. Many of us continued over the top and looped round for over 70km for the day with some seriously tough pitches. Isla showed she is still a formidable rider, on a vintage single speed with original brakes. She floated away from me on the initial technical climb, seemingly without breaking a sweat.

https://grahamnevett.smugmug.com/2019-Wayfarer-RSF/?fbclid=IwAR3YCPM0zcs1oz04a7CJV6ReVRXDXtxuzxQ500QBzZh13iU0CXbU7LPK4JM
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #2776 on: April 10, 2019, 10:41:08 am »
That looks like a wonderful day.
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2777 on: May 17, 2019, 10:20:48 am »

IMG_2949_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2778 on: May 22, 2019, 08:37:17 pm »
The number of box bikes locally continues to increase. There are two Dutch bakfiets and a couple of days ago I saw a homemade version, made by cutting and welding bits on to a Raleigh hybrid. Deeper box than the Dutch variety. I did take a photo but it was dark and it's too dull to be worth posting here.

« Reply #2779 on: June 01, 2019, 06:10:50 am »
Something like 20 tandems went past in Amiens yesterday afternoon as I sat in le café. I guess it must've been a rally or something?

« Reply #2780 on: June 04, 2019, 10:08:01 pm »
Last friday I was walking with my neice in Swinley Forest when we stepped aside for a pair of fat bikes. The amount of tire noise was horrendous but seeing the amount of effort required to climb the next hill was worse.

« Reply #2781 on: July 07, 2019, 07:35:30 pm »
A fully plastic Itera bike on the back of a car
Never tell me the odds.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2782 on: July 07, 2019, 07:48:57 pm »

I couldn't work out if this was a deliberate attempt to make an expensive bike look as uninteresting as possible, or just accidental.  Little details like the fabric reflective triangle hanging from the rear rack, the pipe lagging and duct tape concealing the S&S coupler on the toptube, and the decent-looking bike computer fitted to the *underside* of the stem.  The Chinese bar bag and double bar-ends went a long way towards throwing me off the scent, too.

Indeed, I'd got as far as attaching my panniers to my bike and was fumbling for my keys when the Rohloff-dar kicked in, shortly followed by "hang on, it's a Thorn", "wait, there's a SON and Edelux, too" and "how did I miss the Brooks?".
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #2783 on: July 07, 2019, 08:37:03 pm »
Cyclecare in Purton have a very nice gravel bike by The Light Blue in the window.  I don't really want or need a gravel bike but TLB colours are always good.

I also find the photo on their website amusing: https://www.thelightblue.co.uk/Sport/complete-bikes

I remember us doing the same helmet-slung-on-the-bars thing for the long hot slog up to the Dartmoor plateau, back when we went MTBing most weekends.
Never tell me the odds.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2784 on: July 08, 2019, 10:13:47 am »
Reminds me a bit of LEE's avatar.  :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2785 on: July 08, 2019, 10:33:04 pm »
Wandered into Mud Dock today, not for anything particular but because I happened to be passing, and they have four (4) Tern GSD electric-assist cargo bikes. These have small wheels and a wheelbase not much bigger than a standard solo, on a similar principle to a Circe Helios. They had them set up in various modes, one was rider + cargo, one was rider + two child seats, multiple configurations possible on any one bike. They cost four grand and apparently are selling well (cargo bikes generally seem to be going through the beginnings of a mini-boom) to "people who are buying them instead of a second car" in the words of Mud Dock staff.