Author Topic: Waitrose trailers again  (Read 1360 times)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
Waitrose trailers again
« on: 16 May, 2009, 06:22:32 pm »
Finally had the time to swap bikes and head on up. My daily bike has a carbon seat post, and I didn't really fancy using that....so I took my old Marin MTB with the steel post.
The trailers are indeed bike hods, with a massive green bag with, on mine, a couple of side pockets. The wheels are plastic and solid, but rolled OK. The attachment is by a simple U-bolt with two nuts, butting onto a curved rear half of the clamp. There are a number of different sized clamps for different diameter posts.
Hiring it involved photo ID and proof of address, and signing a disclaimer. There was no deposit, just a requirement to bring it back three days later, and not use it for anything other than Waitrose shopping.

I filled it about two -thirds, and rode home. The trailer felt stable, and the bike's handling was undisturbed. There was, howver, a varying drag, as if my brakes were being gently applied and released every so often. My ride back involves a climb up and over a railway bridge. Not exactly a climb, but the other side gives a chance at a descent; the trailer was hardly noticeable uphill, and did nothing nasty downhill.

One thing I did notice was how cars stopped trying to squeeze through when I had the trailer on.

Me like!

Re: Waitrose trailers again
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2009, 06:56:06 pm »
I've just come back from Sainsburys with a trailer load of shopping.  Mine's a Bob Yak, so it's probably not even as wide as me and the bike, but cars still give me a wide berth.  I guess it's the whole "WTF is that?" aspect.

I can probably carry about twice the weight of two panniers with the Bob, more than that and the trailer gets a bit unstable.  It is much easier to pack though, and you can carry a lot more light but bulky stuff.  Today I only picked up three full carrier bags of shopping plus a big bag of Iams for Talisker and a four pack of kitchen roll.  About one minute to fit in the trailer (I have a big plastic box bungeeed onto it), I could possibly have just about fitted it all into the panniers, and bungeed onto the carrier, but it would have required careful packing at the checkout, and would have been a damned sight harder to carry home.

Yay for shopping with trailers. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2009, 10:15:37 pm »

One thing I did notice was how cars stopped trying to squeeze through when I had the trailer on.

Me like!

Same happens on a recumbent - 2 or 3 wheels
Never knowingly under caffeinated

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
This rig

Generates quite some road space :)

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2009, 10:51:30 pm »
LOL, my old Trice recumbent trike plus Yak Bob also generated lots of clear road, although it wasn't terribly stable, so I never used it much, or over much distance.
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2009, 10:54:47 pm »
That thing has a tendency for oscillations to start if it's a bit over-heavy.  I've lost the trailer at speed a few times.  Once the hitch went through one of the back wheels as it disconnected :o

« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2009, 08:23:34 am »

Me like!

Same happens on a recumbent - 2 or 3 wheels

Was about to say the same!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:31:59 am »
I filled it about two -thirds, and rode home. The trailer felt stable, and the bike's handling was undisturbed. There was, howver, a varying drag, as if my brakes were being gently applied and released every so often.

This is normal with trailers. It  is due to the momentum of the trailer and the unevenness of your pedalling.
As you pedal you alternately drag the trailer up to speed (down stroke) and then the trailer pushes you along as your applied effort drops on top/bottom dead centre.

You notice it most on the flat where the trailer can carry momentum but doesn't have to fight the wind because you are in front of it.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:34:35 am »
I used to haul my trailer on a 59" fixed - it has a very flexy hitch, as you can see.  Going up hills at a lowish cadence with a heavy load, I'd be alternately pulled back and pushed forward :)

rdaviesb

« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:54:26 pm »
Northern alert.

Wots Waitrose?  :o Posher than Tescos Finest?