Author Topic: Front disc hub choice and Avid BB7 queries  (Read 2986 times)

Front disc hub choice and Avid BB7 queries
« on: 25 April, 2008, 07:25:09 pm »
I think I'll go for the Avid BB7 for my Marin. A few queries:

- will this work with the Cotic Roadrat fork which has the disc mount on the right?
- how do I choose the disc size?

Shimano centrelock hubs: am i right that these require an adapter to use the above disc?

Any other recommendations for reasonably priced durable disc front hubs?

TIA
Simon

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: Front disc hub choice and Avid BB7 queries
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2008, 07:37:02 pm »

- will this work with the Cotic Roadrat fork which has the disc mount on the right?

Shimano centrelock hubs: am i right that these require an adapter to use the above disc?

TIA
Simon

1) I don't know, but I would think that it would be fine.

2) This depeds on the power you wish. Bigger rotor = more power. Personally I would choose the biggest rotor available for the front and smallest for the rear. There is no such thing as too much power, if you have good technique, and as soon as you develop good technique you will want more power so cut out the middleman and go for the biggest rotor.

3) Yes. It will require modification and I would suggest going for a hub with standard mounts for the rotor. I have Hope hubs and think they are awesome.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Craig

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »
Note that Cotic say rotors larger than 160mm will invalidate the warranty on the forks.

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2008, 07:41:01 pm »
I've just read that the Cotic fork is only guaranteed if using discs up to 160mm so that's that question answered (although I suppose that figure is with hydraulics rather than mechanical in mind). I don't need massive braking power, this is not a downhill MTB or anything.

(Edit: ta Craig)

Dave

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2008, 07:41:17 pm »

TIA
Simon

1 Won't be a problem. Just fit everything the 'wrong' way round.

2 Cotic say max 160mm and you definitely won't need anything bigger than that.

3 I'd suggest that if you're not fitting Shimano brakes, don't fit Centrelock hubs. Get some normal 6-bolters. Hope are great (got 'em on my MTBs - they're ace), but a little pricey. On-one are pretty good, so I'm told.

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:42:02 pm »
Got to say any fork with a 160mm rotor limit would scare me off through implied weakness (though 160mm is quite sufficient on-road).  Not a lot of disc brakes around smaller than 160 either! (esp. on the front).

BB7 is a decent brake, and I would definitely go for a 6-bolt hub rather than any of that proprietary centre-lock malarkey.

cc93

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:45:47 pm »
I have the BB7 on a front centre-lock hub and it works fine, but if you have the choice I'd go for a standard disc flange hub

Dave

« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:51:07 pm »
Got to say any fork with a 160mm rotor limit would scare me off through implied weakness (though 160mm is quite sufficient on-road). 

Really? Most XC MTB suspension forks say 210 max these days, true, but I doubt 160 implies anything about any 'weakness' in the Roadrat forks (I know there was a recall on them at the beginning - but knowing Cotic, I suspect that means the current forks are over-engineered). There really is no need to go any bigger for any of the riding you're likely to do on a Roadrat.

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2008, 12:23:06 am »
Thanks a lot everyone, most helpful. The argument I was given for using Shimano centre-lock even if not using a Shimano disc was that it sidestepped the "fiddly, prone to seizure, crack-generating" bolts directly into the hub. Any thoughts?

My budget for a hub, looking at what is available, is about £40 odd. £20 or £30 (covering XTs etc) would be better. I can't see any advantage in spending more. Priorities: good seals, minimal servicing. Must be available in black.

Dave

« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2008, 07:20:54 am »
Thanks a lot everyone, most helpful. The argument I was given for using Shimano centre-lock even if not using a Shimano disc was that it sidestepped the "fiddly, prone to seizure, crack-generating" bolts directly into the hub. Any thoughts?

Sounds like marketing spin designed to make you feel better about buying in to a proprietory technology. I'd love to see some evidence of rotor failure due to 'crack-generating' bolts... ::-)

My budget for a hub, looking at what is available, is about £40 odd. £20 or £30 (covering XTs etc) would be better. I can't see any advantage in spending more. Priorities: good seals, minimal servicing. Must be available in black.

If you can stretch to £45, buy a Hope Pro 2. Superb seals, pretty much maintenance free and very black 8).

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2008, 08:09:21 am »
 :) I think I deserve that hub.

« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2008, 11:33:18 am »
I have XT centrelocks on my mtb and they're been faultless.   I do think it a bit odd though that one manufacturer goes it's own way.  That's not normal, is it  ;D   ::-)

« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2008, 12:02:18 pm »
Re the BB7 disc, will this work with my existing Avid Single Digit 7 lever? It looks pretty much identical to the Speed Dial lever suggested for the BB7.