Linked Events

• Mille Cymru 1000: 23 July, 2010 - 26 July, 2010

Author Topic: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010  (Read 226471 times)

Bones

• Oh dear!
Re: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010
« Reply #125 on: 31 October, 2009, 10:17:35 pm »
err... do I detect an air of pre-ride hysteria? Then in July, 1000k of hard riding, too little sleep, alcohol at all controls - the hallucinations will be interesting!!

Fantastic route though; but probably not for me just yet as after just the 200k of the Elan & Ystwyth I was completely done for. However the Ystwyth valley lifts your spirits. I really hope you get some good weather to enjoy it.
There are no steep hills - just puny legs and the wrong gears :D

simonp

« Reply #126 on: 31 October, 2009, 11:00:46 pm »
Well given my recent experiences with alcohol and riding fixed (not that I would be on this event to be sure) my legs have sod all power in them after a couple of pints.  Riding fixed for 7 miles into a gentle head wind really shows this.

I've never had booze during a 200 let alone a longer event.  After's another matter (but even then the only events I've done that for are PBP and LEL).

simonp

« Reply #127 on: 08 November, 2009, 11:36:54 pm »
Off to the post box...  :facepalm:

Chris N

« Reply #128 on: 12 November, 2009, 01:07:04 pm »
Good news: a friend of mine is getting married on the 24th July, so I'm not riding. :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #129 on: 12 November, 2009, 02:01:33 pm »
Good news: a friend of mine is getting married on the 24th July, so I'm not riding. :)

I'm sure John will let you do the route check the week before :)

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
« Reply #130 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:26:53 am »
Just put my entry in via the rather nice new website.

« Reply #131 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:44:00 am »
Oh poo! Had just gone through the faff of snail mail entry with envelopes, SAEs and stamps - letter on dresser waiting to go to post!

Oh well - have now used the website and PayPal - seems OK, although the "Return to Merchant" button doesn't seem to work. Could be my browser?

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #132 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:57:44 am »
Have entered this way.

Now to get fit enough....!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
« Reply #133 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:30:49 pm »
Oh well - have now used the website and PayPal - seems OK, although the "Return to Merchant" button doesn't seem to work. Could be my browser?

I had the same thing, but it's just that he hasn't finished building the site yet.

« Reply #134 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:35:13 pm »
Just tried the website.  The Paypal screen says you are entering the Mille Cymru 100.  Seems expensive for a morning ride :0 :)

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #135 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:41:07 pm »
I've entered.  :thumbsup:

Found the same thing as other - return to merchant option not working.

« Reply #136 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:48:30 pm »
How we doing for entrants? Seems to be fairly racing along. Was hoping to enter in Jan once I've done a few more rides in the winter.....

DanialW

« Reply #137 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:50:38 pm »
Give me chance - I haven't finished building it yet!

(We hope to fill it with lots of content over the next week or so.)

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #138 on: 13 November, 2009, 06:49:07 pm »
How we doing for entrants? Seems to be fairly racing along. Was hoping to enter in Jan once I've done a few more rides in the winter.....

enter now then you'll make sure you do the rides you need :)

« Reply #139 on: 13 November, 2009, 06:57:26 pm »
Yes thats what the Boss said, hesitating due to the cr*p-eating card fraudsters that hit my account and the banks lackadaisical performance when it comes to re-imbursement.....
So I'll have to enter tonight then guys...
Toby, good luck 2moro on the Gloom its blowing more than 40 at the mo + still raining - roads flooded round Swansea way....

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #140 on: 13 November, 2009, 06:59:27 pm »
Toby, good luck 2moro on the Gloom its blowing more than 40 at the mo + still raining - roads flooded round Swansea way....

Perfect  ;D

« Reply #141 on: 13 November, 2009, 07:18:29 pm »
That's it, in now!!! No more excuses..... ::-)

crwydryn

« Reply #142 on: 13 November, 2009, 07:36:40 pm »
It comes past my front door but I dont think I can offer any help or refreshments as I am probably leaving that day.
Also you will probably be doing 40mph as you pass the house.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #143 on: 13 November, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »
That's it, in now!!! No more excuses..... ::-)
Welcome to the show.

Going fast with the sudden rush of interest now that online is available. The list so far...

Danial   WEBB
Julian   WILLIAMS
Ben   TAYLOR
Anton   BROWN
Toby   HOPPER
Mike   KELLY
Martin   BERRY
William   WEIR
Mark   HUMMERSTONE
John     PERRIN
Trevor   WOODMORE
Andy   SEXTON
Mike   THOMPSON
Charles   WARNER
Phil   CHADWICK
Mark   TYRELL
Ian   HELLAWELL
Mike   PLUMSTEAD
Andrew   SOUTHWORTH
Matt   ZORN
Simon   PROVEN
Eoghan   BARRY
Peter   FAULKS
Peter   MASTENKO
Patrick   WADSWORTH
Scott   WILLIAMS
Yan   FARGEOT
Martin      NEWSTEAD

I was going to take some flyers to plug at the AGM. Might not be worth bothering the way things are going.

« Reply #144 on: 13 November, 2009, 08:17:11 pm »
I was guessing the start is at The Corbet Arms in Upton Magna?
I showed interest but I am still investigating the financial consequences. How much are nights at the hotel at the start?

I was thinking of a ferry, but the Eurostar is waaay cheaper, and I should be able to get from Enschede, NL to Shrewsbury in a day. Now only what do the Eurostar people think of a 2m long recumbent... I guess I have to make some calls for that.

Bikes in UK trains are free as long as you make a reservation, from what I understood, is that correct?
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

simonp

« Reply #145 on: 13 November, 2009, 08:39:20 pm »
There are some services where reservation is required.  On others there is no reservation but there may be restrictions at certain times of day (rush hour but in practice this is a 3 hour window and in a long journey these can be hard to miss).

This page provides info on every provider:

The UK Bike/Rail Page

If you book tickets via this website:
   National Express > Home > Train tickets for travel to London, York, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow
then you can do the bike reservation online at the same time.  I really have no idea if bike reservations are practical when booking from abroad, I'm afraid.

The trip to Shrewsbury from London is typically via Birmingham New St on Virgin (bike reservation needed) then on a slower service (Arriva?) to Shrewsbury.  They also need reservations on some services so I would check their website, the bike and rail page section is here: The UK Bike/Rail Page

Getting from St Pancras International to Euston to get the Virgin services is only a few hundred metres, you could easily walk it.  Unless you are wearing cleats. ;)

JohnHamilton

« Reply #146 on: 13 November, 2009, 08:43:26 pm »
I was guessing the start is at The Corbet Arms in Upton Magna?
Just down the road in the Village Hall.

I showed interest but I am still investigating the financial consequences. How much are nights at the hotel at the start?
Free camp bed accommodation in the hall (bring a sleeping bag), or camping outside. For more luxury the cheapest option is likely to be the Travelodge www.travelodge.co.uk at Shrewsbury Battlefield (about 4 miles) away. Look out for cheap deals and you can get rooms for as little as £9. Plenty of accommodation around. See www.visitshrewsbury.com for options.

I was thinking of a ferry, but the Eurostar is waaay cheaper, and I should be able to get from Enschede, NL to Shrewsbury in a day. Now only what do the Eurostar people think of a 2m long recumbent... I guess I have to make some calls for that.

Bikes in UK trains are free as long as you make a reservation, from what I understood, is that correct?
Yes, don't think anyone charges any more. But you may well have problems getting your bike on the train. Very few train companies will take tandems and your recumbent will be about the same length as our tandem. Virgin Trains will get you from London Euston to Wolverhampton - their trains have reasonable space and take tandems AIUI so you should be OK (Virgin INSIST on reservations - you won't get on the train without one). Local train to Shrewsbury definitely won't have space so you'll have to get the last 20 miles or so on your own.

Hopefully Wrexham & Shropshire will be taking bikes by then which will give you a direct train from London Marylebone to Shrewsbury with a full luggage van and a walk-on anytime fare of £40 which is somewhat cheaper than Virgin.

Or you can try plugging on here for a lift. Plenty of the above from the South East of the country...

« Reply #147 on: 13 November, 2009, 08:50:56 pm »
Getting from St Pancras International to Euston to get the Virgin services is only a few hundred metres, you could easily walk it.  Unless you are wearing cleats. ;)

I have seen that. What makes you think I'd walk when I have a bike with me?
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

simonp

« Reply #148 on: 13 November, 2009, 08:59:32 pm »

I have seen that. What makes you think I'd walk when I have a bike with me?

It might not be worth the effort especially if the traffic is busy since when walking you can push the bike down the pavement.  This could actually be quicker.  And some people don't like cycling down Euston Road very much.

« Reply #149 on: 13 November, 2009, 09:12:41 pm »
Free camp bed accommodation in the hall (bring a sleeping bag), or camping outside. For more luxury the cheapest option is likely to be the Travelodge www.travelodge.co.uk at Shrewsbury Battlefield (about 4 miles) away. Look out for cheap deals and you can get rooms for as little as £9. Plenty of accommodation around. See www.visitshrewsbury.com for options.

I have found I don't sleep well in a tent or a hall beforehand, so I'd like something fancy for the night from 22 to 23 July. But just one night is not a financial obstacle. My original plan involved 2 nights beforehand and a night on the ferry. That is a financial obstacle.
Afterwards I'll be tired enough to sleep anywhere.

Yes, don't think anyone charges any more. But you may well have problems getting your bike on the train. Very few train companies will take tandems and your recumbent will be about the same length as our tandem. Virgin Trains will get you from London Euston to Wolverhampton - their trains have reasonable space and take tandems AIUI so you should be OK (Virgin INSIST on reservations - you won't get on the train without one). Local train to Shrewsbury definitely won't have space so you'll have to get the last 20 miles or so on your own.

A 20 mile ride will be quite nice after a full day of public transport...

Or you can try plugging on here for a lift. Plenty of the above from the South East of the country...

That will be from London St. Pancras then. Or wherever the Eurostar stops, I have no idea.

Todo this month: call Eurostar. Oh, and I need to sign up with paypal.
Todo next year: SR closerby than Ivo's (save on hotelnights and traintickets).