Author Topic: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?  (Read 113020 times)

Re: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?
« Reply #175 on: 16 March, 2010, 06:41:21 pm »

Enter 600+100 ECE, then
- sleep in proper bed Chepstow/Aust
- 0600 Ride BCM (619k)
- 2200 Sunday finish -> proper bed @Chepstow/Aust
- 0400 Get up after 6hrs* sleep/eating/chatting/faffing

*If finish BCM late, I'll still get 3-4hrs sleep. Just enough!

Then the entire ECE 700 wouldn't be validated

« Reply #176 on: 16 March, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »

Enter 600+100 ECE, then
- sleep in proper bed Chepstow/Aust
- 0600 Ride BCM (619k)
- 2200 Sunday finish -> proper bed @Chepstow/Aust
- 0400 Get up after 6hrs* sleep/eating/chatting/faffing

*If finish BCM late, I'll still get 3-4hrs sleep. Just enough!

Then the entire ECE 700 wouldn't be validated

I think he means finish the BCM close to the 10pm BRM deadline. 10pm finish and 4am wake up is 6 hours sleep minus the time spent chatting at the finish of the BCM, faffing around collecting bags, cycling back over the bridge to the SV Services, checking in, getting to the room, etc, etc.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #177 on: 16 March, 2010, 06:58:02 pm »
Oh yeah. Sorry  :)

Martin

« Reply #178 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:43:10 pm »
yes I think he meant that too but be aware that if you do not finish the calendar event in time you will not be able to claim an ECE.  The reverse does however apply, the aim of ECE's is to encourage riders to extend existing events, if you fail the ECE portion you've still entered and paid for the calendar event separately and it's all yours.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #179 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:59:29 pm »
yes I think he meant that too but be aware that if you do not finish the calendar event in time you will not be able to claim an ECE.
Yes, that's what I meant. Hoorah, I got something right!

(I finished near enough bang-on 40hrs in 08, after a reasonable kip at the YH, so it seemed like a reasonable 'schedule'.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #180 on: 28 April, 2010, 12:08:01 pm »
please don't send .axe files with prospective entries for the time being; my newly installed autoroute doesn't seem to like some of them unless they have the correct Masonic handshake; just a list of controls please.

same goes for DIY's

Thanks  :)

« Reply #181 on: 12 May, 2010, 05:44:41 pm »
OK, I've read through this thread and now my brain has melted to a quick yay or nay question.

If I ride a 200k ECE on top of a 400k ride, do I get to claim the kit and kaboodle as a 600k for the purposes of an SR?

border-rider

« Reply #182 on: 12 May, 2010, 05:47:23 pm »
yes

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #183 on: 12 May, 2010, 05:47:28 pm »
OK, I've read through this thread and now my brain has melted to a quick yay or nay question.

If I ride a 200k ECE on top of a 400k ride, do I get to claim the kit and kaboodle as a 600k for the purposes of an SR?

Yes, as long as you enter it as 200+400 ECE beforehand.

(But it won't be BRM, regardless of whether the 400k ride is a BRM or not and you do the whole thing within 40 hours. So don't count on it as a qualifier for PBP2011 next year.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #184 on: 12 May, 2010, 06:10:39 pm »

yes, but you can't claim the 400 as well

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #185 on: 12 May, 2010, 06:21:18 pm »
Yes, as long as you enter it as 200+400 ECE beforehand.

(But it won't be BRM, regardless of whether the 400k ride is a BRM or not and you do the whole thing within 40 hours. So don't count on it as a qualifier for PBP2011 next year.)
Crikey, I hadn't thought of that when I did my 500 the other week!

Oh well, I expect to ride at least one more long BRM this year ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #186 on: 12 May, 2010, 08:57:18 pm »
The 400 from your BC will still count as a BRM tho.

Martin

« Reply #187 on: 12 May, 2010, 10:33:09 pm »
The 400 from your BC will still count as a BRM tho.

correct; you get both a BRM 400 (for ACP purposes) and a BR (via ECE) 600; but for AUK purposes it's only a 600 and you need another 400 (by any means) for an SR in 2010,

to save confusion I would suggest that anybody needing a BRM SR in 2011 does not ECE any of the critical PBP quallie events unless they are riding more than one. In theory an ECE wll not impact at all on how the calendar event is validated but not sure (even having done it) how AUK homologate your SR for ACP

« Reply #188 on: 13 May, 2010, 09:12:42 am »
Thanks, not looking to make it BRM as the BCM should cover that for this year. I'm just planning on a double SR this year and a 400+200 would be better domestically than some of the available 600s. I also have history with the Hessle 400 that I plan to lay to rest this year.

Now new question. On the AUK site it says for the Randonnee + 200km "Convert a 200km calendar event to a 400km by riding an extra 200km to or from the start.". I presume that this is the one that I want as that means that this would be substituted to Convert a 400km calendar event to a 600km by riding an extra 200km to or from the start. Or is there a list of extensions that I haven't spotted on the AUK site?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #189 on: 13 May, 2010, 10:10:42 am »
Or is there a list of extensions that I haven't spotted on the AUK site?
Yes, because they're not there! Martin may confirm/deny this, but basically only the more common options are listed already.
Hence my 400+100 (ridden 2 weeks ago) is not listed, but Martin kindly confirmed that it was possible - I'm just the first to have bothered, so it isn't 'pre-configured' as an option on AukWeb.

Given that Martin has already discussed your rider here, I thnk it's safe to say he is happy with your combo. Just write something intelligent on the Entry Form and he'll work it out! (get it in early to be on the safe side)

Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #190 on: 13 May, 2010, 05:00:20 pm »
Is a plotted Bikely route acceptable?

Martin

« Reply #191 on: 14 May, 2010, 12:24:30 am »
Is a plotted Bikely route acceptable?

not really; sorry

ECE's should ideally be a route to and / or from the start of the calendar event that meets the minimum distance with additional controls as required to bring it up to that distance, by all means plot it on bikely to work out the distance (although google maps or viamichelin is a lot quicker) For ECE's what I need is a list of start finish and intermediate points of the extension either way (remember it can be a one way extension) and the event you wish to extend; I can work it all out from there.

and yes mattc has it spot on; the nature of the AUK website and results etc is that each ECE configuration must have a distinct perm created for it; we've listed the likely ones but new ones will be added as and when people go out and ride them. Just remember that above 150+50 the extensions are almost all going to have to be multiples of 100km

« Reply #192 on: 14 May, 2010, 09:10:04 am »
As sorry, I though you needed a plotted route to indicate where I would be going showing the control points.

I use bikely because on a perm I'm happy to take cut throughs that other mapping programs may not allow. I'm more concerned about my minimum distance rather than the potentially greater minimum distance that may generated by michelin autoroute.

So if I just say to you that I want to do the Moors and Wolds 400 starting from Alfreton on 12th June and that my ECE will be Gleadless in Sheffield, Retford, Southwell, Alfreton for 100k in both directions will that be suitable?

Martin

« Reply #193 on: 14 May, 2010, 09:59:24 am »
So if I just say to you that I want to do the Moors and Wolds 400 starting from Alfreton on 12th June and that my ECE will be Gleadless in Sheffield, Retford, Southwell, Alfreton for 100k in both directions will that be suitable?

yes that's fine viamichelin makes it 103km either way  :) there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to shortcut the route by eg going off road; all looks fairly linear between controls.

« Reply #194 on: 14 May, 2010, 10:01:55 am »
Excellent.

I'll have my entry over to your shortly.

And thanks for all of the clarification. Much appreciated.

Chris S

« Reply #195 on: 16 May, 2010, 03:50:18 pm »
Does the ECE system support GPS validation - presumably by sending a gpx of  the track including the embedded calendar event?

Sorry if this has been asked already on this thread - we're on quite a few pages now, and I CBA to trawl through it all... ;)

Martin

« Reply #196 on: 16 May, 2010, 11:14:44 pm »
Does the ECE system support GPS validation - presumably by sending a gpx of  the track including the embedded calendar event?

not at the moment sorry  :(

The vast majority of ECE's I've had have been "ride from home to calendar event and ride back via a co-op if need be to make up the distance" there's not really any reason to change that format so soon into the new system. If you have a control point that cannot be easily validated by receipt we can probably work something out.

Chris S

« Reply #197 on: 17 May, 2010, 08:11:07 am »
If you have a control point that cannot be easily validated by receipt we can probably work something out.

Not really - but if I'm riding to an event, living where I do I generally have to start at Early O'Clock, before local amenities are open. AIUI the only way to have a validated route that literally starts "at home" is using GPS, as that is the only way to prove that's where you did in fact start.

It's not a biggy. There's a 24 hour garage a few km from here which doesn't add much to a long ECE in the grand scheme of things.

« Reply #198 on: 17 May, 2010, 08:16:44 am »
If you have a control point that cannot be easily validated by receipt we can probably work something out.

Not really - but if I'm riding to an event, living where I do I generally have to start at Early O'Clock, before local amenities are open. AIUI the only way to have a validated route that literally starts "at home" is using GPS, as that is the only way to prove that's where you did in fact start.

It's not a biggy. There's a 24 hour garage a few km from here which doesn't add much to a long ECE in the grand scheme of things.
that's true for all of us, unless we live in a 24 hour garage. Thankfully for me there is a 24 hour garage about 1km away. ;)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #199 on: 21 May, 2010, 09:46:35 am »
Looks like I'm finally a winner! Just had card back:

ECE_400+100_01

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------