Author Topic: Bygone bits  (Read 23147 times)

Re: Bygone bits
« Reply #50 on: 08 May, 2008, 02:06:34 pm »
Topeak Rear Mule rack.

Designed to carry a D lock slotted horizontally into the rear of the rack above the wheel and between the panniers. A very neat solution which no one else has copied and Topeak have dropped.

Matthew

fuzzy

« Reply #51 on: 09 May, 2008, 04:42:32 pm »
Not a 'bit' I know but proper Choppers complete with one piece buddy carrying seats and juvenile gonad mashing top tube mounted gear knobs.

Domestique

« Reply #52 on: 10 May, 2008, 08:18:40 am »
Bone spanners and the flat do it all spanner you used to get with a new Raleigh bike.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #53 on: 10 May, 2008, 09:25:44 am »
Bone spanners and the flat do it all spanner you used to get with a new Raleigh bike.

The one made from stale cheese that was guaranteed to round off any nut or bolt to which it was applied?    ::-)

I have one of those in the garage - it's never been used.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #54 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:05:08 pm »

I had a very good one of those, until very recently.  It lasted myself, and my father for many years, until struggling to remove a wheel on a colleagues bike, that had been tightened excessively by some gormless LBS mechanic, did for it. >:( :'(

Actually, it is rocket science.

Martin

« Reply #55 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:07:19 pm »
Bzzzt; not bygone

still available crafted from Emmental in the latest Aldi saddle bag.

Wibble

« Reply #56 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:37:52 pm »
Bzzzt; not bygone

still available crafted from Emmental in the latest Aldi saddle bag.

And EBC, Decathlon...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:49:04 pm »
I bought one out of desperation a while back when on a ride inexplicably without my AJ.

The roughly hexagonal holes nearly, but not quite, fit regular bolt sizes ::-)
Getting there...

Pete

« Reply #58 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:51:21 pm »
The point is, I think, that most bike bits nowadays go on with allen key screws.  It used to be nuts, hence the need for a spanner.  Less need today.

Any thoughts on this development?  Personally, I'm not the world's greatest fan of allen keys, albeit they do make for a neater appearance.  With old-fashioned nuts, if the worst happened and you rounded off the flats, there was always the recourse of the trusty pipe-wrench or mole-grip.  With allen key bolts, you're snookered - time to reach for the Black and Decker... :-\

Perhaps this ought to be a topic for another thread...

fuzzy

« Reply #59 on: 10 May, 2008, 08:53:30 pm »
The point is, I think, that most bike bits nowadays go on with allen key screws.  It used to be nuts, hence the need for a spanner.  Less need today.

Any thoughts on this development?  Personally, I'm not the world's greatest fan of allen keys, albeit they do make for a neater appearance.  With old-fashioned nuts, if the worst happened and you rounded off the flats, there was always the recourse of the trusty pipe-wrench or mole-grip.  With allen key bolts, you're snookered - time to reach for the Black and Decker... :-\

Perhaps this ought to be a topic for another thread...

Yeah! Bugger off and start your own thread...
 ;)

Martin

« Reply #60 on: 10 May, 2008, 09:27:35 pm »
With allen key bolts, you're snookered - time to reach for the Black and Decker... :-\

In my years of Bike Autopsy I've come across one impossible Allen bolt;

Now; how many Cotter pins have I attacked with a hammer in that time?

Pete; here's a nice local story for you; I was riding from Cuckfield over to Colwood when my chain broke; a very helpful motorist with the ubiquitous 70s toolbox stopped and kindly fixed it with an old fashioned link; how eternally grateful I was...

until I tried to pedal through the rear mech, that was fun; doing 12 miles on half pedal strokes  :'(

Pete

« Reply #61 on: 10 May, 2008, 09:58:27 pm »
Now; how many Cotter pins have I attacked with a hammer in that time?
I thought gently tapping with a hammer was the only way to deal with cotter pins.  In fact, I seem to recall the first issue Richard's Bicycle Book devoted a whole chapter to this topic - including the advice to support the bottom bracket spindle on something to avoid 'brinelling' the bearings...

Pete; here's a nice local story for you; I was riding from Cuckfield over to Colwood when my chain broke; a very helpful motorist with the ubiquitous 70s toolbox stopped and kindly fixed it with an old fashioned link; how eternally grateful I was...

until I tried to pedal through the rear mech, that was fun; doing 12 miles on half pedal strokes  :'(
Colwood!  You modestly omitted to mention the serious ups and downs around there!  Even if you walked the worst bits, that was some achievement!  :thumbsup:

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #62 on: 11 May, 2008, 11:27:04 pm »
I think he means one of these!

we got one for my little bro one birthday, but the shop only had 28" or 26" versions - and little bro wa on a 24" wheeled bike still. We got him a 26" wheel version thinking he'd like to feel he'd gone those extra miles.  No idea if he ever found out either ....
Another reminiscence.  Not exactly a bike bit, but nevertheless a useful accessory, I remember my father giving me, in my teens, a map-measurer.  No photo I'm afraid, it looked like a compass with a dial and needle calibrated in miles, driven by gearing from a small steel wheel (about 2-3mm) projecting from one end of the gadget.  Calibrated for one-inch-to-the-mile maps (1:63360, now obsolete!), before the days of Google Maps and suchlike, it was the only way of measuring out a ride in advance. 
I used to use one until (a) some nameless child broke off the hands and (b) I acquired a copy of autoroute.  I found it handy enough but didn't need massive accuracy.  I'd wind forwards along the route and then wind backwards along the scale counting off km until it got back to zero.

As mentioned in that other thread, I still have single pivot brakes attached to suicide brake levers (though I removed the downtube shifters as I never changed gear (Suffolk is flat ..)).  I swapped the 6" mudguards for real ones, but still have the brake cable cover that goes the whole way along the top tube.
My fixie has cottered cranks, carefully filed as the first lot of cotter pins loosened and fell out.

Rod brakes? (Like on my childhood tiger tricycle, inherited from big bro). Actually tricycles for children are pretty rare nowadays.

Those nice rubber pedals to make it possible to ride a bike in bare feet (shoes were for school, mainly, between age 8/9 and about 12)

There's those lovely wire baskets you can hang on your handlebars.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #63 on: 23 May, 2008, 05:16:29 pm »
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

« Reply #64 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:42:12 am »
Bone spanners are available here, although they call them by a different name. Anybody remember Mafac centerpull brakes? Or the cheap Mafac tool kit in a little plastic case, with a set of combination tire levers/wrenches? Were Sachs "Torpedo" 3 speed hubs with coaster/backpedal brakes ever sold anywhere besides Germany? More recently, Campagnolo C-Record retro-friction shifters were possibly the smoothest friction shift levers ever made, IMO. I've still got a set on an old road bike that I keep at my parent's place.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #65 on: 24 May, 2008, 08:14:07 pm »
SA 5-speed hub with two gear control cables - one into each side.  Controlled from goolie-threatening levers (huge) on the stem.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #66 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:40:35 am »
Bone spanners are available here, although they call them by a different name. Anybody remember Mafac centerpull brakes? Or the cheap Mafac tool kit in a little plastic case, with a set of combination tire levers/wrenches? Were Sachs "Torpedo" 3 speed hubs with coaster/backpedal brakes ever sold anywhere besides Germany? More recently, Campagnolo C-Record retro-friction shifters were possibly the smoothest friction shift levers ever made, IMO. I've still got a set on an old road bike that I keep at my parent's place.

Mark, I just traded me an old set of Mafac "Racer"' so I was a thrilled when I found a couple of those NOS toolset's at a LBS. Not so when he said he wanted £20 for it!  :-X
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

bikenerd

« Reply #67 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:40:05 am »
I have a pair of Mafac centrepull brakes going spare, if anyone wants them.  The front one I recently stripped, polished, greased and rebuilt.  The rear one I recently stripped.  :-[
They are complete but need new straddle wires (derailleur cables).  I have two yokes, one is marked Weinmann, one Mafac, though.