20 (42.6%)
Ok, good for a winter trainer
7 (14.9%)
Not the bargain I thought, would not buy again
0 (0%)
I would not put this on my turbo-trainer
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Ribble Bikes  (Read 42161 times)

Re: Ribble Bikes
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 02:36:21 pm »
BIKE   RIBBLE   £423.95
MODEL   7005 WINTER AUDAX   
PURCHASED   24 OCTOBER 2007   

Great value for money.
I wanted a bike to leave up in Blackpool for when I visit my Mum.
Collected it from the old shop. Put panniers on and cycled trough of bowland/Earby YHA area for three days. No problems.
Great value for money.
Also used it for my main bike whilst my Harry Hall was in for service and even with 23mm tyres it did the job well.
Completed a few club rides and a 100k Audax without any problems.
Just had it serviced with new tyres (Schwalbe durano Plus) and new handlebar tape.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 08:47:10 am »
Just done my first SR on a blue Ribble horizontal cross tube Audax / Winter trainer.  No problems what so ever.  I have committed myself to the 2015 PBP and contemplated getting a fancy Ti or steel frame.  But, you know what?  I don't think I'll bother.  I think I'll stick with the Ribble.

The ride and handling have been significantly improved by the recent addition of a pair of Harry Rowland hand built wheels.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 29-up! Series 30 ongoing
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 11:33:01 pm »
I see Ribble have adapted their Bianco Sportif for Winter and included it in their Audax range as the 365.  Does anyone have experience of the Bianco for long day rides (a la Audax) or any ideas about the 365? Seems a great idea to have a CF frame that fits 'proper' m/gs rather than using the tight fit types.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100 22 Mar 20.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 07:33:35 am »
They have also introduced a steel winter / audax frame as well. Repeat after me "You don't need another bike. You don't need another bike ..."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 07:50:53 am »
They have also introduced a steel winter / audax frame as well. Repeat after me "You don't need another bike. You don't need another bike ..."
You bad man. Why did you have to tell me that? Ermmm got the umm ahh URL?   :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 08:14:14 am »
You bad man. Why did you have to tell me that? Ermmm got the umm ahh URL?   :)

Those nice people at Ribble are utter bastards.  CLICK

I am perfectly happy with my alloy horizontal top tube AND DON'T NEED A REPLACEMENT ... GOT IT???

LEE

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 12:32:58 pm »
I see Ribble have adapted their Bianco Sportif for Winter and included it in their Audax range as the 365.  Does anyone have experience of the Bianco for long day rides (a la Audax) or any ideas about the 365? Seems a great idea to have a CF frame that fits 'proper' m/gs rather than using the tight fit types.

I've been eyeing it up as a potential PBP bike.

Apparently it's got a long steerer which gives a relatively high bar height.  Most reviews say it a great "all day bike".

Oh no! I just saw the Ribble 525 model...it looks bloody lovely.  I have a very under-used Ribble Audax/Winter trainer.... I wonder what I could sell that frame for to offset the price of the 525.

Any indication of what size tyres will fit on the rear?  My view is that a winter bike should be able to take 28mm with mudguards.

Pity they didn't spec horizontal drop outs because they wouldn't be able to build them fast enough to meet the fixed demand if they had.

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »
I popped into Ribble as I was passing. The 525 has clearance for mudguards and 23mm tyres only. The lad on the counter said there was no demand for a deep drop brake version. Hewitt's fill that demand around here.

TimC

• Bike pilot
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2012, 04:38:28 pm »
That is a damn shame. I would have considered it as a replacement for my Kinesis Racelight had it been able to take 25s with 'guards. It's certainly a good looking bike.

LEE

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2012, 04:44:17 pm »
I popped into Ribble as I was passing. The 525 has clearance for mudguards and 23mm tyres only. The lad on the counter said there was no demand for a deep drop brake version. Hewitt's fill that demand around here.

Same as my current Alu Ribble then.

Damon, what did it look like in the flesh?  It looks somewhere between orange and red on my monitor.

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2012, 05:10:44 pm »
I didn't notice the colour much, it looked retro. It has an integrated headset, which spoils the retro aspect a bit. It was built up with Tiagra. You could always fit Audax forks, it would alter the geometry a touch, but maybe for the better.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2012, 11:23:55 pm »
The sloping top tube spoils the retro aspect a lot.

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 09:40:39 am »

It depends how far back you're thinking.

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2012, 06:04:51 pm »
Back to the original question, if that doesn't qualify as a thread hijack............

N+1 this year was an Evo Pro Carbon, 105 compact double, and it's lurvely.
Previous posh bike was a VN Yukon and to be perfectly honest I'm thinking of getting rid of it and going for carbon audax.
Would either be the Ribble 365 or Dolan Dual, or some such.

Out of curiosity, does anyone of this parish know if it's a better idea to buy frame and forks and transfer existing kit, or sell bike and buy complete new one?

Steve
The dog did nothing in the night-time - that was the curious incident..........

LEE

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2012, 06:07:52 pm »

If it had a horizontal top tube and would accept 28mm and (SKS) mudguards I'd definitely be riding one now.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2012, 06:11:17 pm »
I bought my Ribble as a frame and forks and then transferred everything over. After which I sold the old frame on ebay. Then I gradually upgraded all the components I had transferred over and sold some of the old stuff on ebay. Its a stealthy way of getting a decent bike without alerting the unwanted attention of one's wife!

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2012, 12:08:22 pm »
I bought my Ribble as a frame and forks and then transferred everything over. After which I sold the old frame on ebay. Then I gradually upgraded all the components I had transferred over and sold some of the old stuff on ebay. Its a stealthy way of getting a decent bike without alerting the unwanted attention of one's wife!

;D
Like the way you think, OD......

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2012, 12:19:15 pm »

Only other point is the transferring everything over part- I can be a trifle cack-handed when I put my mind to it, so would probably ask LBS to do that.
I guess that probably makes it self-defeating in cost terms, so I'm back to the "but I REALLY need another bike" story.......

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2012, 12:23:25 pm »

Only other point is the transferring everything over part- I can be a trifle cack-handed when I put my mind to it, so would probably ask LBS to do that.
I guess that probably makes it self-defeating in cost terms, so I'm back to the "but I REALLY need another bike" story.......

I'm useless at mechanical / DIY stuff.  I found I could manage it with a bit of thought and help from people on here.

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2013, 08:49:08 am »
Bradley Wiggins 10 record of 17:58 comes out as 33.4mph.
Yes, but that's an average speed, from leaving the starters grip, to crossing the finish-line.

Quite happy with my Ribble 'Winter', but I've only had it since last Monday

TheLurker

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2017, 07:56:02 pm »
Looks like the 7005 has finally gone mainstream*.

A not exactly in-depth Telegraph Review.

*I.e. drawn to the attention of those who think bike brands begin and end with Raleigh. :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:50 am »
Roll forward the winter trainer, a utilitarian bicycle that reverse hibernates, only coming out to play when the weather is foul and the nights long.
Estivates? Probably aestivates for the Telegraph.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2017, 10:01:14 am »
Looks like the 7005 has finally gone mainstream*.

A not exactly in-depth Telegraph Review.

*I.e. drawn to the attention of those who think bike brands begin and end with Raleigh. :)
an external bottom bracket also helps to keep the damp out.
Ha ha ha ha ha

Shame the journalist just dropped out of the tree
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2017, 11:17:06 am »
My "Winter" Audax was perfectly fine.  I bought the frame and transferred everything from a broken bike.

I had 2 complaints:

1) Clearance for 25mm/28mm tyres (Maybe it has more clearance now)

2) A fairly harsh ride.

It used to be about £500 and nothing really came close for the money.  I think Decathlon/B'Win compete in that space now though.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

TheLurker

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2017, 06:33:48 am »
My "Winter" Audax was perfectly fine.  I bought the frame and transferred everything from a broken bike.

I had 2 complaints:

1) Clearance for 25mm/28mm tyres (Maybe it has more clearance now)

2) A fairly harsh ride.

It used to be about £500 and nothing really came close for the money.  I think Decathlon/B'Win compete in that space now though.
I'm happy with the ride, but I'd agree with (1).  It is the only thing I'd change were it possible.  It'd probably helpful with (2) if a rider finds it harsh(ish).  I _was_ tempted to write to the Telegraph suggesting the "journalist" consider the B'twin range, but life's too short...