Author Topic: Cockatiels..?  (Read 1894 times)

Cockatiels..?
« on: 14 June, 2009, 01:06:53 pm »
We're investigating these as pets for the minis.  Does anyone keep them?  How big a cage does one need to house two comfortably?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Cockatiels..?
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2009, 02:13:20 pm »
My aunt used to have one and it ate the buttons off her remote controls, the ends off shoelaces and a big chunk of the wallpaper.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:14:19 pm »
I've been pondering this one since it was posted, as it is clearly making me wince - why would anyone want to cage a bird?

If the minis are to 'keep' pets, surely some other creature would be a more suitable candidate.

« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:16:34 pm »
Cockatiels should be kept in an enclosure like this:

;)

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:25:54 pm »
How big a cage does one need to house two comfortably?

IMO, a cage is only comfortable for the 'owner'. Birds are comfortable when behaving naturally and flying.

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2009, 08:09:37 pm »
Interesting, I know what you mean, though, apparently all cockatiels as pets are all bred in captivity, none of them are exported from the wild i.e. Australia.  

Cockatiels as Pets:
Small, intelligent, and easy to care for, Cockatiels have graced the homes of bird lovers for many years. Their engaging personalities and high trainability have put them near the top of the list of the most popular pet bird species.

When cared for properly, Cockatiels can be affectionate and fascinating pets. They are a wonderful species for inexperienced bird owners because of their natural friendly dispositions and curious playfulness.

Cockatiels are members of the parrot family, and have the ability to mimic. While it is possible for Cockatiels to learn a few words, most prefer to whistle or sound out noises that they hear in their environment, such as ringing telephones or doorbells. Sometimes their imitations can be quite convincing!

Temperament:
Mosy handfed Cockatiels have a very sweet, even temperament, and will exhibit a rather curious and inquisitive nature. They can bond closely with their owners and can be extremely affectionate. Cockatiels are quite intelligent and very social, and enjoy interacting with their human "flock". When properly stimulated, they are relatively easy to care for and make wonderful companions.

Like all parrots, they relish the times they get to spend with their owners -- they are very social and must be interacted with to remain tame. They should be handled, talked to, and played with every day to ensure their health and happiness.

We have two dwarf rabbits that are in their double decker hutch most of the day, except for evenings, and at weekends, when they go in their 'run'.  And 'farmed' tropical fish (my charge)... that you might expect to prefer the amazon, yet do pretty well in our freshwater tank... ;)

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2009, 08:15:05 pm »
Interesting, I know what you mean, though, apparently all cockatiels as pets are all bred in captivity,

Andy,
they're birds.
I'm struggling to add much more to this thread.
J.

« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2009, 09:02:20 pm »
...and you've made your point, thanks.  I not trying to defend any cruelty, but they're common pets by all accounts and seem to be potentially very content if looked after well; but was just wondering if anyone here kept cockatiels .  We've not decided anything, and TBH I thought the tropical fish were enough.  ;)

« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2009, 09:22:42 pm »
Another thing worth researching is the relationship between certain lung conditions and caged birds. I have encountered quite a number of people with respiratory conditions thought to be related to long term exposure to birds, whether that be racing pigeons or caged parrots. I don't know great deal about this (and the problem may be less significant with cockatiels, for all I know), but IMHO the problem is reported sufficiently frequently to give pause for thought.

« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2009, 09:26:26 pm »
What pets are politically acceptable then...?

Eh?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2009, 10:04:32 pm »
I used to know a couple who kept cockatiels. They were awful. Quite dreadful. Although the cockatiels didn't tell me that - I worked it out for myself. It's the only time in my life I "unmade" friends deliberately. One day she phoned trying to arrange a social event, and I couldn't handle it any more. I just said we didn't want to see them and that was that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2009, 08:21:48 pm »
I used to know a couple who kept cockatiels. They were awful. Quite dreadful. Although the cockatiels didn't tell me that - I worked it out for myself. It's the only time in my life I "unmade" friends deliberately. One day she phoned trying to arrange a social event, and I couldn't handle it any more. I just said we didn't want to see them and that was that.

I'm not clear if the birds or the people are the awful ones.

There are dog owners out there with everything going from spacky hips

Spacky hips?  :-\
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #12 on: 19 June, 2009, 10:17:45 am »
I think it might have been the sue of "spacky" that resulted in  :-\
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.