Author Topic: Bike Week -- help needed  (Read 1733 times)

Bike Week -- help needed
« on: 29 April, 2008, 08:21:16 am »
We have a 'carbon neutral' group at work (mostly a bunch of graduates who've been given a 'special project').  We also have a serious parking problem.  I've suggested that we could do something on the 'ride to work' bit of Bike Week.  We already have fairly good facilities at work (Sheffield stands under cover with a CCTV, shower, changing rooms with lockers, free bike service once a year).  Does anyone have any suggestions for things we can do.  Really we need to persuade more of the people who live close to ride in.

I've added a (suitably anonymised) copy of the email exchange below.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Subject: Bike Week 2008

Hi XXX

I understand you're co-ordinating the 'carbon footprint' stuff that some of our graddies are doing.
Adding that to our parking problems I was wondering if this was any use.  It's to do with 'Bike Week' - which is in June.
If nothing else it would be a possible photo opportunity for the local press

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for this.  I like the idea of supporting the Carbon Footprint project with something tangible that demonstrates a bit of commitment.  Got any ideas for what we might do?

Kind regards,

XXX XXXXXX
Commercial Director
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Bike Week -- help needed
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:38:08 am »
I can't remember the details (I may even be indulging in wishful thinking) but I have vague memories of some scheme whereby the employer can pay (there is/was some tax break or other involved) for a number of breakfasts (6?) per year for cycling employees.   If the scheme still runs I'd bet you've got at least a few greedy guts who'd cycle to work for the chance of free scoff.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:47:27 am »
Cycle training surely?  That'd be the best and most likely way to convince a few people to use their bikes.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

spen666

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:14:20 am »
We have a 'carbon neutral' group at work (mostly a bunch of graduates who've been given a 'special project').  We also have a serious parking problem.   I've suggested that we could do something on the 'ride to work' bit of Bike Week.  We already have fairly good facilities at work (Sheffield stands under cover with a CCTV, shower, changing rooms with lockers, free bike service once a year).  Does anyone have any suggestions for things we can do.  Really we need to persuade more of the people who live close to ride in.

convert more parking spaces into an indoor bike store.

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2008, 10:10:03 am »
Maybe buy/hire a few pool bikes to let the non-cycling members of staff have a go...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...