Author Topic: Tour de France 09 (may contain spoilers)  (Read 75206 times)

gonzo

Re: Tour de France 09 (may contain spoilers)
« Reply #650 on: 25 July, 2009, 01:08:27 pm »
cyclingfans.com for all your cycling streaming needs!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #651 on: 25 July, 2009, 01:17:33 pm »
cyclingfans.com for all your cycling streaming needs!

Thanks! Made my day :D

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #652 on: 25 July, 2009, 03:23:34 pm »
This is brilliant :thumbsup: 3 km to go. But it seems unlikely Wiggins will get 16 seconds on Armstrong. Fantastic riding from A. Schleck to help his brother, tho it's not achieving it's aim to drop Lance or Wiggins.

Edit: Ooooo Wiggins has just cracked  :( ......

and he's back :thumbsup: Wow.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #653 on: 25 July, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »
Well done Wiggo! Holds on to fourth, just.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #654 on: 25 July, 2009, 03:35:10 pm »
Hurray! It would have been brilliant if he'd got onto the podium but still, 4th is fantastic!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #655 on: 25 July, 2009, 03:41:08 pm »
Brilliant ride by Wiggins to hang onto 4th by 3 seconds :thumbsup:. Andy Schleck was just incredible today - how many attacks did he do? Now, Schleck needs to go away and improving his TT ability before next years tour if he wants to win it!

Great rides from Garate and Tony Martin, too.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

gonzo

« Reply #656 on: 25 July, 2009, 03:54:58 pm »
That ride was a great example to show to people who say there are no tactics in cycling!

Also, great ride by Wiggo!!!

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #657 on: 25 July, 2009, 04:24:04 pm »
I think Wiggo did amazingly well to hand on there. He looked like he really had to dig deep. Can't wait to see him next year.

gonzo

« Reply #658 on: 25 July, 2009, 04:46:35 pm »
Can't wait to see him next year...

..when Contador's not allowed to race? ;)

Seriously though, I think wiggo did extraordinarily well in the best field for years (even though it did favour a TTer this year).

αdαmsκι

« Reply #659 on: 25 July, 2009, 04:49:20 pm »
..when Contador's not allowed to race? ;)

Nah, Contador will be a super-domestique for Wiggins (or more likely the other way round).

gonzo

« Reply #660 on: 25 July, 2009, 05:00:29 pm »
If Garmin employ him, I will be considerably more likely to believe that he's clean.

« Reply #661 on: 25 July, 2009, 05:27:15 pm »
What a ride.  Not only by Wiggo, but by Contador and Andy Schleck and Armstrong.
I hadn't realised - Andy Schleck won Liege Bastogne Liege this year as well - that makes 2nd in the tour all the more impressive.

I didn't think it favoured the TTer this year.  The Schlecks are basically climbers, as is Nibali, and Contador and Armstrong have been fantastic climbers who can also TT for a few years...  IMO Wiggo was the only guy in the top 6 who's TTing was stronger than his climbing.

« Reply #662 on: 25 July, 2009, 06:43:52 pm »
Wiggo looks a bit like Cadel Evans*, can't attack on climbs but can somehow just hang in there.

* without all the annoying whining

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #663 on: 25 July, 2009, 06:59:05 pm »
I thought he was off the back SO MANY times!  Well held that man.  Gritty performance.

Also: Awesome tour photos: 2009 Tour de France - The Big Picture - Boston.com
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

gonzo

« Reply #664 on: 25 July, 2009, 07:07:12 pm »
I think it was the team TT that eliminated all who didn't have good TT based squads.

Wiggo looks a bit like Cadel Evans*, can't attack on climbs but can somehow just hang in there.

* without all the annoying whining

And a certain sense of humour too; when asked if he was going to be on the podium in Paris he replied that anything could happen, he could blow up and loose loads of time, heck he might even crash horribly and end up in hospital!

border-rider

« Reply #665 on: 25 July, 2009, 07:35:49 pm »
Great stage !

I was amused when Phil & Paul reckoned the 22k climb would take an hour or so.  That being almost twice as long as it took me onna Brommie :)

It's good when they do a  road you know and have ridden.  

The total f'in desolation of the summit doesn't fully come across in the TV coverage...

Wiggins is my hero after that.  Armstong and Contador rode an intelligent race too - payback for Contador hanging his team out to dry earlier in the week ?

gonzo

« Reply #666 on: 25 July, 2009, 07:44:06 pm »
Armstong and Contador rode an intelligent race too - payback for Contador hanging his team out to dry earlier in the week ?

I think that Contador knew that he didn't need to gap anyone. It also reflects better on him as he'll shortly be looking for a new team!

« Reply #667 on: 25 July, 2009, 08:02:30 pm »
Blimey that was nail-biting at the end. What a stage. And what a performance by Wiggins to hang in there. Enjoyed it immensely.

Superb TV coverage.

The total f'in desolation of the summit doesn't fully come across in the TV coverage...

I am reminded of that documentary 'Death on the side of a Mountain'[?] about Tom Simpson where they were describing conditions on that day -  how intolerably hot & barren it was after they emerged from the shelter of the tree cover. I'd like to catch that program again sometime.
Garry Broad

« Reply #668 on: 25 July, 2009, 08:53:06 pm »
Armstong and Contador rode an intelligent race too - payback for Contador hanging his team out to dry earlier in the week ?

I don't think Bruyneel or Kloden will have kept their opinion about Contadors silliness to themselves.  That said for all the strength of Astana holding it all together for 3 weeks it looks likes it will fold at about 5pm on sunday.

« Reply #669 on: 26 July, 2009, 09:25:12 am »
I am reminded of that documentary 'Death on the side of a Mountain'[?] about Tom Simpson where they were describing conditions on that day -  how intolerably hot & barren it was after they emerged from the shelter of the tree cover. I'd like to catch that program again sometime.

Charlie Wegelius tweeted that riding past the Tom Simpson Memorial was almost a religious experience yesterday.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #670 on: 26 July, 2009, 09:30:45 am »

Charlie Wegelius tweeted that riding past the Tom Simpson Memorial was almost a religious experience yesterday.

I know what he means. I felt that I was much closer to meeting my maker than I was comfortable with when I went past it on Monday too!  ;)

« Reply #671 on: 26 July, 2009, 12:09:43 pm »

. I'd like to catch that program again sometime.

I've got it on DVD recorded off the TV, along with A sunday in hell about Paris Roubaix in Merckx's era if you'd like a copy

« Reply #672 on: 26 July, 2009, 12:20:03 pm »

. I'd like to catch that program again sometime.

I've got it on DVD recorded off the TV, along with A sunday in hell about Paris Roubaix in Merckx's era if you'd like a copy

Ta very much Aidan. YHPM
Garry Broad

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #673 on: 26 July, 2009, 01:40:24 pm »
I thought he was off the back SO MANY times!  Well held that man.  Gritty performance.

Also: Awesome tour photos: 2009 Tour de France - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Awsome in deed great link thanks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #674 on: 26 July, 2009, 01:57:41 pm »
Its seemed like the best tour for years to me despite or perhaps because we no longer have eurosport.I think though mainly because of the high Brit factor,I thought yesterday was gripping Schlecks attacking ,Contador and Armstrong responding and Wiggins hanging in there ,throw the crowd and atmosphere in to the mix and it was compelling.