Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010  (Read 161420 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010
« Reply #50 on: 07 July, 2009, 10:14:45 am »
Now that is really silly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #51 on: 07 July, 2009, 11:55:58 am »
Fame - A moonlit bike ride to remember: the legendary Dunwich Dynamo | James Randerson | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Hmm:

Quote from: James Randerson
...The lady floating above the crowd on her penny-farthing (although she would probably prefer to call it an "ordinary"). ...

He's calling Charlotte a lady?  (He obviously hasn't been reading the Trapped wind on night rides thread!)

<fx: Mallards and runs> ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #52 on: 07 July, 2009, 12:00:55 pm »
I have an offer of a Bickerton to borrow for next year's.

I wish you hadn't said that. My father's got one.

My principal concern would be whether a Bickerton will actually last for 116 miles.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #53 on: 07 July, 2009, 06:03:24 pm »
111 point something miles according to my GPS.  When I measured it with a cycle computer in 2005 it was 111.7, I think.  The official course partially avoids the A104 through the forest, but no-one has ever been known to go that way.  Likewise, I turn right at the roundabout after North Weald and then, after about a mile on the A-road, take Moreton Lane.  It's a slightly more logical route and avoids getting stuck behind groups in the narrow lanes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #54 on: 07 July, 2009, 06:07:01 pm »
So the guy that runs the local sandwich shop said he'd be interested in running a cafe stop from a van somewhere, ie sarnies, jacket potatoes, burgers, chips, soup etc. Should I start being serious and make it a definate? Where would be best?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #55 on: 07 July, 2009, 06:20:30 pm »
Needham Lake would be a good spot as it has parking, seating and 24 hour loos.

'tis between the half way stop and Dunwich.

I suspect Mid Suffolk Council or someone may have jurisdiction over this location though......

rogerzilla

« Reply #56 on: 07 July, 2009, 06:21:18 pm »
As a finish food outlet, Westleton would be ideal since the lot who go via Yoxford still have to pass through there.  Alternatively, Peasenhall which is also an effective pinch point.

The only issue is whether Barry Mason would be offended because he's probably promised the Flora cafe oodles of business - but (a) they can't realistically cope any more and (b) competition is always good, no?

« Reply #57 on: 07 July, 2009, 06:24:57 pm »
I don't think Barry would be offended.

The people who run the Flora may be though.

Word has it they served 900 breakfasts on Sunday morning  :o :o :o

I think if the weather is like this year's was (ie conducive of keeping the numbers up) Valiant's mate could cash in without too much publicity beforehand.

A cr@p forecast could scupper that.

rogerzilla

« Reply #58 on: 07 July, 2009, 06:29:08 pm »
I reckon even a crap forecast would see people stopping at a van exuding the smell of bacon.

« Reply #59 on: 07 July, 2009, 06:29:43 pm »
If the extra food stop comes some way from the end, I would almost certainly have a bacon sandwich there and breakfast at Dunwich... I'm sure I'm not alone!

Duncan

« Reply #60 on: 07 July, 2009, 06:58:30 pm »
I reckon even a crap forecast would see people stopping at a van exuding the smell of bacon.

I'm sure it would RZ - I don't think the forecast would put people off a bacon sarny, I'm just not sure you'd get the four figure number of starters we appear to have had this year.

I don't see why it shouldn't work though - I believe the crew from Cycle Chat had someone on the beach doing just that from a campervan - albeit for relatively small numbers.

rogerzilla

« Reply #61 on: 07 July, 2009, 07:18:15 pm »
The camper van was on the route at various points.  They had a proper cafe open for the finish (who must have been cursing the conditions - I was one of those who bought train tickets and then DNS).

« Reply #62 on: 07 July, 2009, 07:27:56 pm »
I don't think Barry would be offended.

The people who run the Flora may be though.

Personally, I'd be inclined not to change anything. Why run the risk of causing a problem with folk from the Flora. The Suffolk countryside doesn't deserve the uninvited smell of saturated fat that early at dawn on a Sunday? Needham Market's a quiet, serene place that time of day. Let's not wreck it with the stench of the city  :hand:

Having got fortuitous access to the secret control at Great Dunmow this year ;), where a mug of tea and a slab of cake hit the spot beautifully, if anything, I'd say GD is a perfect place to pick up something greasy to help you on your way.
Garry Broad

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #63 on: 07 July, 2009, 07:41:05 pm »
Trouble is a lot of people complained about the queues being too big, not enough food or that some of it was cold. My friends not doing it for the money, he'd rather stay in bed. It's just cos I asked really that he's considering it.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Chris S

« Reply #64 on: 07 July, 2009, 07:42:00 pm »
Jeez - I can't believe this thread is already five pages long - and it's still only four days since the 2009 edition. More to the point, it's still over a year before the next one! You guys can't keep this pace up, surely?

« Reply #65 on: 07 July, 2009, 07:42:36 pm »
Needham Market's a quiet, serene place that time of day. Let's not wreck it with the stench of the city  :hand:

A very good point.

The lakeside is indeed magical at that time of day, and I'm a fule for having made the suggestion. :-[

rogerzilla

« Reply #66 on: 07 July, 2009, 07:55:25 pm »
We laid the A14-to-Bury trap again by parking our bikes in the junction just after the lake and having a drink and a stretch, but no-one took the bait this year.   :demon:

« Reply #67 on: 07 July, 2009, 08:06:38 pm »
Word has it they served 900 breakfasts on Sunday morning  :o :o :o

Yikes, I didn't think Teethgrinder would get that hungry. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #68 on: 07 July, 2009, 08:08:20 pm »
I thought there was only 800 cyclists?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #69 on: 07 July, 2009, 08:14:08 pm »
800 was Barry's pre-ride estimate based on the number of bus tickets he'd had interest in.

900 route sheets sold.

900 breakfasts sold.

Both of the above suggest there may've been more than 1K participants.

« Reply #70 on: 07 July, 2009, 08:20:20 pm »
Trouble is a lot of people complained about the queues being too big, not enough food or that some of it was cold. My friends not doing it for the money, he'd rather stay in bed. It's just cos I asked really that he's considering it.

When we got down the beach it was at around 8ish, it was pretty miserable, raining and indeed the queue for the cafe was long, way too long for us to be bothered to join. So we left for home. Shame. I'm a 'grease head', and always partake in the breakfast, but this year, with an increase in numbers, it was a whole different scenario. So I agree with where you're coming from. It was a problem.

I had a feeling that numbers would be big this year, mainly because of the good weather forecast, and consequently Great W would probably be heaving, so, for the first time, I bought some grub for the half-way point. What a good move that was. If I ride it again, I'll most definitely do the same thing.

Having done it a few times, you know what to expect [or what not to expect as the case may be]. It's those who do it for the first time, expecting a food stop, mainly because they've been told there is one, only to be disappointed to find it's all gone.....and after queuing for ages. Hardly a bundle of laughs at 2am. However, it's worth remembering that the origins of the ride were of an unsupported one[AFAIK], so it's worth approaching it with this in mind, and make plans accordingly. To me, that's one of the things that gives the ride it's character.
Garry Broad

« Reply #71 on: 07 July, 2009, 08:56:30 pm »
... However, it's worth remembering that the origins of the ride were of an unsupported one[AFAIK], so it's worth approaching it with this in mind, and make plans accordingly. To me, that's one of the things that gives the ride it's character.

I usually try to ride self supported.

As a new rider to this event some years ago I did take sandwiches, but also used the mid way food stop and also the cafe.  Over time I learned that the queue wasn't worth it and returned to fully self supported.

I think an alternative stop might be a good idea, adding to my supplies as well as catering for newcomers.  If it was a bacon buttie van with a crowd outside I think I might be very tempted in stopping.

rogerzilla

« Reply #72 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:56:59 pm »
Due to a confluence of daughter's birthday and nearest-weekend-to-the-full-moon, I have to do this on a bike that will fit in the back of a car when everyone else is on it, so no full-size bikes with mudguards.

This means

or

I sincerely hope it doesn't rain, since 16" wheels on those roads are awful.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:01:39 pm »
Mebbe this is fate's way of telling you to take it slow, set off at a sensible hour and ride with the YACF loon squad?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #74 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:15:42 pm »
Given the lateness in July of this jaunt, I'm intending to take a tent and follow the Dun Run with a few leisurely days in Anglia (E).

Anyone else interested in this kind of silliness? There will be pubs, beaches and pootling, and possibly a train home a few days later - or I may ride. No firm hard & fast plans, just a pleasant few days.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.