Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 3002512 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #18550 on: 09 February, 2015, 09:41:17 pm »
spesh, you forgot

(click to show/hide)

I have struck out the unimportant bit and have emboldened the bit that means you should stay at home. Or get a car.

Rule 8 should be added to your list.

(click to show/hide)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #18551 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:46:24 pm »
Aberystwyth called me up a couple of times in the years after I graduated (2005). I told them that when I've finished paying for my degree, I'll think about chipping in for someone else's.  ::-)

I've had that, they were very nice but as I explained they'd already had somewhere in the region of 10 grand out of me (I was part time) they weren't getting any more until they brought the engineering department back and binned all the stupid new media course's* I had to help with tutorial sessions for in my final year.

* youngsters mostly in on clearing, with no interest in computing or programming and no prior knowledge. I spent 3 weeks explaining logic gates (at GCSE physics level) to a group of kids who had mostly done sociology and art and had washed up in the the former facility of engineering, computing, and technology.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #18552 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:08:35 am »
"I'm a teacher, please RT/share this pic to show da kidz how fast shit flies on the internet"

Fuck off fucking clickwhores.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18553 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:29:45 am »
^^^ "Share this to show that you care."  So if you don't care then you don't share, which means you can't show you don't care without sharing what you don't care about in the first place and saying you don't care about it. Which means that you've shared which means that you care.

What ^^^ you said beginning with F. Fuckin' A.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #18554 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:34:09 am »
Ah yes, the endless requests to share, retweet, recommend, endorse, like, promote...

Indeed, I'll share, retweet, recommend, endorse, like, and promote the following: fuck off, the lot of you.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18555 on: 11 February, 2015, 11:27:11 am »
I'm in the habit of doing innumerable crappy quizzes on Facebook and not 'Liking' or sharing them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18556 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:48:40 pm »
No, Natasha!  No, Marleen!  You did not "find my profile" in the Mega-Global Walled Garden Corporation of Menlo Park, USAnia.  So I am certainly not going to click there to see nine photos of your big boobs and big butt.  I may, however, dedicate some of my Copious Free Time to tracking you down and pushing your face through a barbed-wire fence.  Slowly.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #18557 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:46:26 pm »
The Civil Service/public sector has served this country well for hundreds of years. However, there seems to be an increasing tendency for politicians to abuse or blame public servants of all kinds for governmental policy failings, financial strictures, or lack of decision making/ownership failure by ministers, usually for political purposes and they do this at their peril. You do NOT shout at or demean senior civil servants in public. They cannot answer back, this is bullying. Challenge them by all means but do this properly. These guys are hugely competent, dedicated and very bright indeed, whilst  normally, very quietly, trying to protect your apolitical arse. Salaries are crap, pensions under attack, and push come to shove they can always go elsewhere to produce a better brighter soap sud, but with Jag.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #18558 on: 12 February, 2015, 07:59:35 am »
How right you are.  I dread to think what brought on your own rant, but you are so, so right.  I've seen too much of it in a Local Authority scenario and of course there are certain high profile examples I still seethe over.
Wombat

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18559 on: 12 February, 2015, 08:20:18 am »
20+ year ago I wandered into a demo by striking civil servants in Le Puy, and mentioned to one of them that I was self-employed but supported him completely. He was gobsmacked - said it was the last thing he expected.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #18560 on: 12 February, 2015, 12:09:53 pm »
Why, in the name of anything you care to name would I want to go and see some over-privileged mannequin looking at the view?

Enjoy your adulation.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #18561 on: 12 February, 2015, 01:28:19 pm »
Ooh, you are privileged!  I suppose I could have ogled her from the other side of the water, using my long lens, but I watched some paint dry instead.  Actually I lied for effect, I went and bought some shoes for work...
Wombat

JJ

« Reply #18562 on: 12 February, 2015, 02:04:52 pm »
Cheerful whistling text alerts.  In the office.  Frequently. 

Fuck Off and Turn it OFF

« Reply #18563 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:00:57 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18564 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:41:23 pm »
Huh, I thought it was an Apple thing. At least all the people I notice using it are fruit fanbois.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #18565 on: 13 February, 2015, 01:33:36 pm »
Our company is switching to Samsung phones  :-\  The office will soon resound with whistles.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18566 on: 17 February, 2015, 10:34:29 am »
Dear client, if didn't you apply the database structure updates I sent you two months ago then don't fucking whine because the latest update of the program crashes. Bloody hell, your engineers haven't even fixed the balls-up they made of entering installation coordinates last June and I've told them how to at least twice, but they still bellyache when they don't show up on your daft Autocad city map. Your twats put them in the middle of the fucking Atlantic.

(The above has been conveyed to the client in slightly different terms. But not all that different.)

ian

« Reply #18567 on: 17 February, 2015, 10:41:49 am »
Jeebusfuck, 42 page Powerpoint presentations in Arial 8/10pt. That's not a presentation, you've dropped a fucking sloppy brain turd into Satan's underpants.

For heaven's sake, someone on this mothership learn how to prepare and make a presentation. I have to read this shit and try and make sense of your organisational diarrhoea.

« Reply #18568 on: 17 February, 2015, 12:23:22 pm »
But does it have fancy animations & sound clips? :D

ian

« Reply #18569 on: 17 February, 2015, 12:38:56 pm »
No it's just 42 pages of dense bullet-pointed text. I've no idea why people think this is a good idea. Have they ever received a similar Powerpoint and felt their hearts soar?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18570 on: 17 February, 2015, 12:45:17 pm »
No it's just 42 pages of dense bullet-pointed text. I've no idea why people think this is a good idea. Have they Has anyone ever received a similar Powerpoint and felt their hearts soar?

There.  Much better :)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18571 on: 17 February, 2015, 01:25:30 pm »
No it's just 42 pages of dense bullet-pointed text. I've no idea why people think this is a good idea. Have they ever received a similar Powerpoint and felt their hearts soar?

Isn't that just a report?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18572 on: 17 February, 2015, 01:28:58 pm »

Quite.  They just wrote it in Not Excel.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18573 on: 17 February, 2015, 01:36:06 pm »

Quite.  They just wrote it in Not Excel.

If it was in excel they'd probably think it was a database :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18574 on: 17 February, 2015, 02:18:33 pm »
I've known people write their CV in Excel.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.