Author Topic: Bugging out for the Zombocalypse - S24O on Friday the thirteenth of June  (Read 82811 times)

That is a kind offer indeed, thank you. I don't have any of the other gubbins though, and it's all a bit last minute. Perhaps I should try and get myself in order for next time, presuming it is so successful that there is a next time.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
What gubbins do you need?

Apart from a tent, all you *really* need is a sleeping bag anna kip mat of some kind.  We can round those up for you, I'm sure.  Some kind soul is bound to offer to make you a cuppa in the morning  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
I shall be bringing a cafetiere with me and some real coffee...

I may not be able to whip up a cappucino but I make a mean black coffee!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

I've got a spare sleeping bag, it's a synthetic bag which I've replaced by a down one, which should be smaller and warmer (although the old one isn't particularly cold!)  I think I've got an old style solid foam sleeping mat, which I replaced some time ago by a Thermarest mat.  It's not as good as a Thermarest, and it has a tendency to roll itself back up (as do most of these mats), and I'm not 100% certain I've still got it, and won't be able to check until I'm back home.  You're welcome to borrow both if you want to, it won't be much more effort to bung them on top of the rest of the gear on the trailer (assuming I still have the mat!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Would someone also be kind enough to help me put up said tent, considering the attempt of my fourteen-year-old self was ballsed up quite badly?!

I wouldn't want to be the reason you *didn't* make it by nightfall and got eaten by zombies. I'm not the fastest. I don't want to be a burden on the zombe-fleeing hordes.  ::-)

Presumably Regulator will know how the tent pitches, since it's his.  Failing that, I'm sure we have enough "Sidewalk Superintendents" to stand around and offer "helpful" advice! ;D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Given the sheer amount of kit that some people appear to be hauling, I doubt that a lightly laden NSTNewbie will slow us down. 

Besides - you have a new bike  :D

Regulator

I could bring the three man tent which comfortably sleeps two...

Green Party Councillor

Yes, but which two?   :)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
NSTN, I am intending to be there. My bike will be heavily laden. I'm already slow when it's not.

It won't be you slowing people down. :)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
We're planning on using Wowbagger in the "Captain Oates" maneuver if we get cornered by non-stationary cadavers  :D

Regulator

Yes, but which two?   :)

I shall select the cutest on my arrival...  ;D

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
We're planning on using Wowbagger in the "Captain Oates" maneuver if we get cornered by non-stationary cadavers  :D

I'm planning a bowl of porridge for brekkie anyway. Anyone care to join me?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Not *that* kind of Oates...  ::-)

Ok. So tentwise, Regulator is offering me his tent (or a place in his tent?!)

Sleepingbagwise TimO is offering me his sleeping bag and foam mat (I do remember the said rolling-up foam mat on my D of E trip, as it was I pitched the tent on a slope and ended up sleeping on the ground/my tentmate anyway  ::-))

What else does one need? Food, presumably?

Regulator

You could join the zombies eating Wowbagger....  ;D

Green Party Councillor

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
He's probably a bit gristly anyway.  Yeah, bring food.  Whatever you need for dinner and for breakfast.

Dehydrated stuff's best, but sandwiches are as good an option.

Cooking kit and/or eating kit, depending on what food you bring.  I'm guessing you haven't got a cooker, but you can probably beg/borrow use of someone elses.  For cooking you can get away with a large mug and eat and cook everything in that, using a Spork for all mixing and eating duties, or you can have various degrees of cookware and plates, bowls, cups, cutlery etc.  Again, I suspect you can borrow many things off of other people, but that may delay your eating if they are currently using them!

Waterproofs and/or clean & dry clothing, wrapped up in multiple plastic bags in case of major downpourage, which seems unlikely given the forecast, but there may be some light drizzle.

Torch and/or bike lights (depending on our efficiency and speed it may be getting dark by the time we get there).

Toiletries/Towel depending on how clean you want to be!  (don't forget your toothbrush...)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
You could join the zombies eating Wowbagger....  ;D

Look, mate, you don't think I got to being this size without the odd zombie being on the menu, did you? I never understood what all the fuss was about. They're wusses, those zombies, the lot of 'em.

Ok. Sandwiches and Clif bar type things it is then, will keep it simple. As long as I can cadge a hot drink off someone in the morning...

I really shouldn't, but I might treat myself to a sleeping mat. There is a Blacks near work that I can wander in at lunchtime. Are they rip-off merchants?

Aha, have just remembered the one item of camping-suitable gear I own: my microfibre incredibly small-folding towel!

Seriously now. What do people sleep in (clotheswise)? I'm guessing you're not all bringing pyjamas...

Regulator

So - I'll bring the three man tent and you can share it with me then?  Or I do you want me to bring the little one man tent you can have to yourself (I'll have to check it's all there mind)?

I sleep naked....  ;)

;D

Green Party Councillor

I'm happy to share.

I think  :o

I really shouldn't, but I might treat myself to a sleeping mat. There is a Blacks near work that I can wander in at lunchtime. Are they rip-off merchants?

They don't look any worse than other high street merchants (Field and Trek, Cotswold, Millets, etc).  You can probably save money by hunting around online, and then waiting for delivery, but that really isn't an option in this instance!

Actually some of their own brand self-inflating mats look relatively cheap compared to branded stuff like Thermarests, but how good it is I know not.  Possibly it's worth a root around on the net to see if there are any reviews or comments.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Apart from the concertina style egg-box one that Therm-A-Rest do, most foam kip mats are much of a muchness.  Don't pay more than £5-10 or you're being fleeced.  They're not great, but they'll stop you getting too cold or uncomfortable.  Beware, though - they're not luxurious by a long way.

Because this is a lightweight S24O, I'm not bringing much in the way of spare clothes.  Jammies didn't make the cut for weight so I'll sleep in my clothes.  That's the beauty of this kind of ride - I'll be away from home for no more than 18 hours.  So no change of clothes required, I'll have a shower when I get home.

YMMV, though...

Regulator

I'm happy to share.

I think  :o

Okey-dokey... I'll check the three man tent tonight.

I promise not to cuddle you in the middle of the night...  ;D

Green Party Councillor