Author Topic: Bugging out for the Zombocalypse - S24O on Friday the thirteenth of June  (Read 82817 times)

I'm happy to share.

I think  :o

Okey-dokey... I'll check the three man tent tonight.

I promise not to cuddle you in the middle of the night...  ;D

I can do sleeping in clothes.

Given your comment about my arse on the canal ride, I do wonder...

How are we securing the bikes? Do zombies steal bikes?

I'll bring my normal couple of locks, and if all else fails I'll just lock the bike and trailer to each other.  Anyone who wants to carry that lot off is welcome to try, but given that the site isn't the most urban of locations, I don't think theft is going to be a big issue.

If we did feel that there was a problem, a dozen bikes locked up to each other would probably be beyond the capabilities of anyone not equipped with a fairly heavy duty crane!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
We're camping in the middle of nowhere.  I'm not bringing a lock.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Yebbut I have to ask because my new bike is my baby, innit.

Mebbe just a very light cable lock. The zombies might eat bikes.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
I'm just bringing a cafe wire, and that's only because I'm using lots of trains 'n' stuff all weekend.   Tie bike to tent (or to big toe) for nighttime security!  ;)

Hmm, what cooks well in gert big fires? 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Halloumi.  Onna stick  :D

OK, I found my old foam mat, and it looks OK, aside from the fact that it's been rolled up for several years, so will want to stay that way!  I'll unpack the sleeping bag and let it air overnight.  Do you want me to bring both of them in?  I can always leave anything which is unneeded at work if you won't know what you need until later.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Ok. Sandwiches and Clif bar type things it is then, will keep it simple. As long as I can cadge a hot drink off someone in the morning...

I really shouldn't, but I might treat myself to a sleeping mat. There is a Blacks near work that I can wander in at lunchtime. Are they rip-off merchants?

Aha, have just remembered the one item of camping-suitable gear I own: my microfibre incredibly small-folding towel!

Seriously now. What do people sleep in (clotheswise)? I'm guessing you're not all bringing pyjamas...

If you want a sleeping mat, ALDI currently have some on special. They're tremendous value for money if not the lightest, smallest mat you can get - £12 a pop. I think.
a great mind thinks alike

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Squirrel.  Onna stick  :D

Fixed that for you, tree-hugger.  :)

Hm, I better not bring the thermite, eh?
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Big Tent checked - seems OK.  But it is Mr R's tent, so I may be a bit slower putting it up thatn I would be with my tent.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
My gods, I have so. much. freaking. gear. 

Still, the important thing is sorted: the glow-in-the-dark zombie mascot and the weapons.  Now, there's a bike under here somewhere.... :o

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
What more stuff do you have than was in the photo?

You looked quite light on kit to me.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
20 pages on, and you haven't even gone yet!!

Seriously tho', I hope you all have a wonderful time contemplating TEOTWAWKI, and I look forward to the pictures.  That is, if there's an internet left when it's all over.

But I'll be sleeping soundly in my bed tomorrow night.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
What more stuff do you have than was in the photo?
You looked quite light on kit to me.

Add the tent, sleeping bag and thermarest.  The BOB sprouted some Clif bars (they're yummy) and the Havoc Pod (well, okay, a belt-pouch with Toys).  And it's all about 30% bigger than it looks in that photo.  ;)

Oh, and I'm toting stuff so I can go straight on to the Exodus - clean shorts, the usual overnight ride's doubled-up lights, reciprocating sombrero and so on.  I am gloriously over-equipped.  There's a freaking rescue strobe in there.

I even used it, once.  In a blizzard.

You never know, there might be a blizzard tomorrow night.   ;D

Only just got in. Switched pedals on bike to spds that arrived today. Thank heavens the old pedals were not on too tight for weedy me.

TimO - would you mind bringing both, in case I can't find anything I want tomorrow lunchtime? Seeing as you have the option of leaving it if I don't need it.

Regulator, that's ok. I'll help/hinder you with my non-existent tent pitching skills  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have extra rice to go with my jalfrezi and plenty of porridge oats for those who wish to join me at breakfast..

Tiffin is very important to me so a pint of milk will find its way into my pannier. I think I might bring a mini-cold bag & block.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Julian

• samoture
I am taking:

tent
portable bbq
foam mat
sleeping bag
spoon
fork
chopsticks
sharp knife
some food (as yet unpurchased)
antibacterial hand gel
mug
plate
skewers
warm jumper
bike rescue kit

and that's it. :)

Oh, and a map.  I must remember a map. 

...Oh, and a map.  I must remember a map. 

I've hunted for, and failed to find my map, so I'm going to have to follow you lot, or rely on my GPS mapping.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
I'm really not going to make this but it sounds like a *lot* of fun.  If no one dies or gets too badly burnt this time, please, please can we do another one in August?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Quite possibly, with sillier zombie games.  Though I have a nice variant of Space Invaders planned... ;)

I have loaded the BOL into the Death Star, TimO. As long as the zombies don't get to GPS Mission Control and throw the satellites way of course, that's covered.

Maps?  ::-) GPS?

Can I just follow someone, pretty please?

I mean, I just got (slightly) lost on my way back from Wood Lane to Stockwell. And I was bloody well born here. There is no hope for me.

Ooh can I have some porridge Wow?  :-*

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Maps?  ::-) GPS?

Can I just follow someone, pretty please?

You can follow me.  At least I've actually been there before  :)

If this is successful (and how could it not be?) then I fully expect a repeat sooner than August.

Getting all my stuff on the bike was a bit of a challenge, it's loads bulkier than I thought it would be. The two side panniers are each completely taken up by my sleeping bag in one, and my tent in the other, sticking out the top!
Riding to work with it all was surprisingly easy though, despite getting my first puncture in 6 months about 400 yards from work. I pumped the tyre up good and hard so I wouldn't get a pinch-flat, but ended up with a bit of metal stuck through it instead ::-)

NSTN, I'm definitely taking a lock so I can just lock your bike to mine if you want.

Just to check, it's 6 at Hyde Park Corner right? Hopefully I'll get to London in time to find a food shop, at the moment my entire food supply is 3 Ryvitas!

Getting all my stuff on the bike was a bit of a challenge, it's loads bulkier than I thought it would be. The two side panniers are each completely taken up by my sleeping bag in one, and my tent in the other, sticking out the top!
Riding to work with it all was surprisingly easy though, despite getting my first puncture in 6 months about 400 yards from work. I pumped the tyre up good and hard so I wouldn't get a pinch-flat, but ended up with a bit of metal stuck through it instead ::-)

NSTN, I'm definitely taking a lock so I can just lock your bike to mine if you want.

Just to check, it's 6 at Hyde Park Corner right? Hopefully I'll get to London in time to find a food shop, at the moment my entire food supply is 3 Ryvitas!

If you're following TimO's routes on Bikely I might aim to intercept you as you pass through Wandsworth, say as you enter the A217, Garratt Lane. I'll try to blend in with the undead as I wait.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Just to check, it's 6 at Hyde Park Corner right?

Right.  If you want my phone number, PM me.