Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 9309 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2019, 10:54:47 am »
Now this man really is a tool junkie..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guSG03tB2vQ

« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2019, 09:39:16 am »
Was in Barnetts (A brilliant and huge traditional DIY / lighting and cookware shop in York) on Friday and they had a nice Bahco box of screwdriver bits on special offer. Full set of PZ, PH slotted and Torx. So I bought it. I already have Wera and Weha sets of the more common ones so this will fill in the weird used only once in blue moon sizes. Now I can throw away the quality street tin of rubbish bits I have collected over the years.
I also bought a set of Wiha SoftFinish screwdrivers for normal clean jobs to go with the Were Chiseldrivers I already have for more heavy duty jobs in the garage (these are brilliant by the way they have striking caps and hex shoulders shanks if you need some serious leverage)
This is part of the plane to replace the loads of cheap tools I have acquired over the years with a smaller number of better quality ones.
Next weekend I will be going through my toolboxes and dumping all the crap screwdrivers.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2019, 10:11:55 pm »
By the by I need some new pliers for shop use. I have some Park long nose but after 7 years of constant daily use they're getting a bit tired.

Looking for a set, long nose, combi, side cutters.

Bahco? Knippex? Or something else...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2019, 01:43:47 am »
Our son does know who Boz Scaggs is, we've done ok as parents.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2019, 09:24:29 am »
Is that like a Birmingham screwdriver? (Having googled, I know what it is and have even used one, but had never heard the name.)

This is a Birmingham screwdriver
(click to show/hide)
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2019, 10:07:17 am »
..... I'm still hankering after a bandsaw and am considering a seasonal request letter for late December.

Sore point with me, that.   I only needed a small one, so I bought an 8"-throat Metabo BAS 261 in 2017 and a worse POS for the money I've yet to see - bad design and sloppy assembly.  I had to invalidate the guarantee half a dozen different ways to make it usable.  I get the impression that if you're going to pay less than 800€-1200€ you might as well go to Aldi.  Unfortunately, most low-end machines use the same style of upper blade guide arm, which is specially designed to stop you seeing the blade with both eyes at once. Oh, and if you use the built-in LED illumination on the Metabo it casts a deep shadow right where you don't need it.

I was seriously considering the 10" one Aldi have been offering recently for £150. Although there are a lot of good reviews around, there were just too many "had to send it back twice" or "had to modify it" reviews to make me pull the trigger - even at that low price.

It seems at the lower price points - whatever the brand (or indeed whatever it's branded as) you get a lot of people raving about them but at least 25% of reviews are terrible....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2019, 11:10:14 am »
..... I'm still hankering after a bandsaw and am considering a seasonal request letter for late December.

Sore point with me, that.   I only needed a small one, so I bought an 8"-throat Metabo BAS 261 in 2017 and a worse POS for the money I've yet to see - bad design and sloppy assembly.  I had to invalidate the guarantee half a dozen different ways to make it usable.  I get the impression that if you're going to pay less than 800€-1200€ you might as well go to Aldi.  Unfortunately, most low-end machines use the same style of upper blade guide arm, which is specially designed to stop you seeing the blade with both eyes at once. Oh, and if you use the built-in LED illumination on the Metabo it casts a deep shadow right where you don't need it.

I was seriously considering the 10" one Aldi have been offering recently for £150. Although there are a lot of good reviews around, there were just too many "had to send it back twice" or "had to modify it" reviews to make me pull the trigger - even at that low price.

It seems at the lower price points - whatever the brand (or indeed whatever it's branded as) you get a lot of people raving about them but at least 25% of reviews are terrible....
You, of all people, should know that cheap tools are generally teh meh. ;)

« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2019, 11:41:12 am »

IMHO, you are better off hunting for a better quality used machine on Fleabay or wherever, then doing whatever needs to be done to get it back to near-perfect condition.  That way, and I've done this, you end up with a better quality machine, that you know inside out, and you may well have still paid less overall than on some cheapo bit of re-badged new Chinese tat.  That's not to say that the Chinese cannot make good quality tools, they certainly can, but they make tools to a price point set by the UK importers, and that price point is too low to buy anything even half decent.

And breathe...........

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2019, 12:59:16 pm »
Is that like a Birmingham screwdriver? (Having googled, I know what it is and have even used one, but had never heard the name.)

(click to show/hide)

Made in Digbeth[1].

[1] "It's like Stokes Croft, but industrial"
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #209 on: Yesterday at 11:28:20 am »
A Stokes Croft screwdriver is probably a can of nitrous!
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #210 on: Yesterday at 09:12:06 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Made in Digbeth[1].

[1] "It's like Stokes Croft, but industrial"

Huh, the spoiler pic is just the lightweight model

Rob