Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 425661 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5650 on: May 15, 2020, 09:46:20 pm »
On a similar note, the Chiltern Railways message, "This train is for Solihull/Marylebone/wherever." I keep thinking, "Well, who is against Solihull?" whereas the message is simply missing one word. It should be, "This train is heading for (or bound for) Solihull."
Ooh, it's a long list!
Oi, watch it! I wouldn't mind so much if people could pronounce it properly. It's so-lee-'hull with a final stressed syllable. And it could be worse, it could be Sutton Coldfield.

AKA The Royal Town of Not Birmingham, Either
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #5651 on: May 15, 2020, 10:42:09 pm »
You can also set something alight but you can't alight anything.
No, but somehow it sounds closer to setting the train on fire than to disembarking from it ;D

« Reply #5652 on: May 18, 2020, 03:28:22 pm »
Just ordered some tights from Endura. Their confirmation email says:

"Thank you for placing an order with us. We are in the process of getting your order ready for shipment and we will follow up to let you know when it is on its way. PLEASE NOTE OUR CURRENT DELIVERY TIMES OUR 10 WORKING DAYS SO PLEASE BARE WITH US."

::-) ;D

I think the stuff in capitals was added by someone who didn't draft the first (non-caps) sentence.

(Luckily, I haven't so completely worn the old ones that I am baring anything)
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #5653 on: May 18, 2020, 04:50:59 pm »
Just ordered some tights from Endura. Their confirmation email says:

"Thank you for placing an order with us. We are in the process of getting your order ready for shipment and we will follow up to let you know when it is on its way. PLEASE NOTE OUR CURRENT DELIVERY TIMES OUR 10 WORKING DAYS SO PLEASE BARE WITH US."

::-) ;D

I think the stuff in capitals was added by someone who didn't draft the first (non-caps) sentence.

(Luckily, I haven't so completely worn the old ones that I am baring anything)

The first one is a bit prolix.  Could better be "We are getting your order ready for shipment and we will let you know when it is on its way."
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.