Author Topic: LEL debrief  (Read 75338 times)

LEL

Re: LEL debrief
« Reply #550 on: 14 August, 2009, 11:14:06 pm »
The Humber bridge was looked at early on when we were  investigating  controls for LEL.  Two control  possibilities had been suggested  which would have provided a route via the bridge.(though Hull itself is  not very  good to cycle through having to cross major  roads  to a ferry port)  Unfortunately, one control was not big enough and way over  cost and the other not available due to refurbishment, so we stuck to the original route trough thorne.

« Reply #551 on: 14 August, 2009, 11:24:17 pm »
The Humber Bridge to Beverley road isn't one I'd like to see used in a routesheet. I've used it a few times going south but I know that not all riders are as comfortable as I am on fast A roads. There are other routes away from the Humber Bridge though, the Humber Bridge 400 went from Helmsley via Malton to the Humber Bridge visitor centre carpark, then over the bridge to N. Lincs.

« Reply #552 on: 14 August, 2009, 11:40:40 pm »
Can I ask an question?  Never having ridden LEL or any other long events......

Why is the UK "flagship" event LEL? 

Given all the 'problems' re route etc is there scope to have the 'Flagship' event to be something else?

e.g. here to there.  and worth it.

LEL

« Reply #553 on: 14 August, 2009, 11:45:37 pm »
Can I ask an question?  Never having ridden LEL or any other long events......

Why is the UK "flagship" event LEL?  

Given all the 'problems' re route etc is there scope to have the 'Flagship' event to be something else?

e.g. here to there.  and worth it.

By default.

Its the longest  regularly run event on the  long distance cycling club of Gt Britain's calendar.

For info, it has never been formally adopted by AUK committee as their  official 'flagship' event.

« Reply #554 on: 14 August, 2009, 11:50:30 pm »

Given all the 'problems'
Problems ? it was a cracking event overall. Whinges, not problems. IMHO.

LEL

« Reply #555 on: 14 August, 2009, 11:53:58 pm »
The Humber Bridge to Beverley road isn't one I'd like to see used in a routesheet. I've used it a few times going south but I know that not all riders are as comfortable as I am on fast A roads. There are other routes away from the Humber Bridge though, the Humber Bridge 400 went from Helmsley via Malton to the Humber Bridge visitor centre carpark, then over the bridge to N. Lincs.

More the fact its a dull town having been badly hit during the last war.

There are worse places to cycle through though. 

« Reply #556 on: 15 August, 2009, 12:01:50 am »

Given all the 'problems'
Problems ? it was a cracking event overall. Whinges, not problems. IMHO.

That's why I wrote 'problems' rather than problems...cos I knew you would be 'pedantic'  ;) ;D

« Reply #557 on: 15 August, 2009, 12:04:55 am »
By default.

Its the longest  regularly run event on the  long distance cycling club of Gt Britain's calendar.

For info, it has never been formally adopted by AUK committee as their  official 'flagship' event.

Aye, I know that.  Seriously I'm not trying to stir things.  Just asking. 

P.S. I thought AUK was the a UK organisation and not just Gt Britain  ;)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #558 on: 15 August, 2009, 12:19:21 am »
In the spirit of adding landmarks, would York be possible to incorporate? Don't have local knowledge, just asking! Going round it was a bit frustrating in terms of km ridden vs progress towards London!
Chief cat entertainer.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #559 on: 15 August, 2009, 10:59:50 am »
There's a major risj to using the Humber Bridge: it can be closed in windy conditions (not that those occur on the LEL). My York Arrow route used it several times and once it was closed to high-sided vehicles (the Marmite Queen said that I was included in those!) and it didn't seem very windy to me, so just sub-gale might close it completely.

As for York - I hate the place for cycling. All those kerb-line 'cycle lanes' are dangerous: the cretcans keep in close (the 'magic barrier') and the peds. just step off the kerb without looking. I was nearly knocked off my bike by a ped. (that then swore at me) and I was stationary at the time!

Trying to deal with a busy town that suppresses and marginalises us is unpleasant when one ia awake.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

simonp

« Reply #560 on: 15 August, 2009, 11:09:00 am »
+1 for avoiding York.

Went there on a permanent last year, and at 2am I don't think a busy city centre full of drunks is a good place to be.

mikewigley

« Reply #561 on: 15 August, 2009, 04:33:38 pm »
As for York - I hate the place for cycling

That's not a terrific endorsement of a "Cycling Demonstration Town" or whatever it's called

border-rider

« Reply #562 on: 15 August, 2009, 04:35:26 pm »
As for York - I hate the place for cycling

That's not a terrific endorsement of a "Cycling Demonstration Town" or whatever it's called

It's hugely better than it was.  I'd not chose to cycle through it on a long audax either, but that doesn't mean it's worse than any other town, or indeed worse off for the pro-cycling measures.

« Reply #563 on: 15 August, 2009, 04:43:56 pm »
For audax rides you need another city lay out as the one usually preferred by city planners if they want to make a town 'cycling-friendly'.

« Reply #564 on: 16 August, 2009, 11:42:41 am »
+1 for avoiding York.

Went there on a permanent last year, and at 2am I don't think a busy city centre full of drunks is a good place to be.

I went through York on LEL, at about 01:00 it was fine, just followed the inner ring road, many lights turned green for us, no traffic, no people. Made a nice break from the dull and dark lanes. Navigating was easy. Wouldn't like to put it on a routesheet though. Didn't use it south because I knew it would be busier during the day (would have missed the Lancashire Fusilier and the Vulcan if we had)

« Reply #565 on: 16 August, 2009, 04:53:12 pm »

More the fact its a dull town having been badly hit during the last war.

There are worse places to cycle through though. 
Beverley ? Nice Minster, cows ? or do you mean Hull ? Don't have to go through Hull to use the Bridge. Good hospital in Hull though, MSeries recommends  :thumbsup:

« Reply #566 on: 20 August, 2009, 10:57:07 am »
I just found the backup paperwork I took with me on LEL - routesheets (not needed as I was using GPS), drop-bag gear list, entry details, etc., which were in a sealed plastic bag (or so I thought!).  There was in fact a small hole in one corner, and the whole lot is covered in mildew, with that characteristic "mouldy wallpaper" smell.

Somehow a very appropriate souvenir!
The sound of one pannier flapping

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #567 on: 20 August, 2009, 01:53:29 pm »
I see things are hotting up on the Yahoo group ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #568 on: 20 August, 2009, 02:08:12 pm »
When I did the South then North 600km Audax few weeks back we went over the Humber Bridge. I found it a bit scarey with the cross wind and it did not help my vertigo but on the other hand it was a bit "jolly". We had come down from Selby and hit the Bridge Sunday afternoon when it was popular with the tourists but I do not recall any issues regarding the volume of traffic in the area. Unfotunately I do not have the route sheet any more but I do recall Elloughton and Howden.
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #569 on: 20 August, 2009, 02:26:58 pm »
I cursed myself on that ride for being remarkably stupid. Having hauled across the bridge on the windy side, I still contrived to follow the instructions to ride down the windy side of the River Trent as well, not thinking about it until too late.

Should the LEL ever be routed over the Humber Bridge and down the Trent, riders should definitely be advised about the shelter that can be obtained by riding on one side or the other.

simonp

« Reply #570 on: 20 August, 2009, 02:31:35 pm »
I cursed myself on that ride for being remarkably stupid. Having hauled across the bridge on the windy side, I still contrived to follow the instructions to ride down the windy side of the River Trent as well, not thinking about it until too late.

I did this ride in 2008, riding down the windy side and everything.  Never again.  :hand:

DanialW

« Reply #571 on: 20 August, 2009, 04:02:57 pm »
I did this ride in 2008, riding down the windy side and everything.  Never again.  :hand:

Ah, I'd planned on riding a 300km DIY, Todmorden-Humber Bridge and back, on Saturday, crossing the bridge N-S then heading back via Thorne and Wakefield.

Any tips to avoid this wind you all talk of?

« Reply #572 on: 20 August, 2009, 04:10:00 pm »

I did this ride in 2008, riding down the windy side and everything.  Never again.  :hand:

Ah, I'd planned on riding a 300km DIY, Todmorden-Humber Bridge and back, on Saturday, crossing the bridge N-S then heading back via Thorne and Wakefield.

Any tips to avoid this wind you all talk of?

I have a 200 to the Humber Bridge and back, it's the one I crashed on in 2007 and broke my pelvis. [It took me three weeks to get home after than one and then it was in an ambulance!!] Often the wind is a tailwind in the afternoons on the way back. The first time I did it, not as an audax, I had a headwind from Keadby Bridge to Thorne on the A18 !! Urgh, that's the worst road in the world.

To avoid the winds, ride with a big bloke and sit on his wheel

« Reply #573 on: 20 August, 2009, 04:28:45 pm »
As you cross the Humber Bridge, note which way the wind is coming from. Use this information to decide which side of the Trent to ride down. On one side the levees will funnel them into your face, on the other they will shelter you.

This only works if you go down the side of the Trent.

« Reply #574 on: 20 August, 2009, 04:34:50 pm »
Going back to Thorne, he'll not be going down the Trent after he's crossed it using Keadby Bridge. And before he's cross it he'll have no choice which bank he rides on.