Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019  (Read 10859 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2019, 08:56:46 am »
Could also be because you gained x stones of stoker!
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2019, 04:49:19 pm »
Could also be because you gained x stones of stoker!

My poor stoker was only rated for about 40 miles. I reckon I was doing more than 50% of the work thereafter.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2019, 07:31:06 pm »
And I'm not sure his saddle was rated for that...  :o
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #203 on: July 22, 2019, 03:12:31 pm »
Out of interest Alex, how many times have you done the Dun Run?
I ask because, having done it seven times (including four of us doing it on one occasion in October) and, if I'm honest, the lustre (if there ever was one) has faded.
And, as  you say, there are prettier places to ride to at the weekend, which are considerably easier to get home from.

I did it twice on fixed (horrible), once on the geared bike I used for PBP and then at least 8 times on this one. I reckon at least 11 times now, possibly more (maybe even as many as 14!). I've genuinely lost track! I think I've missed two since the first one (which might have been with Simon, Charlotte and possibly even Ravenbait).

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster, S Warwickshire Bike Shop in Wellesbourne
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited, manages an LBS
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2019, 08:00:11 pm »
I ask because, having done it seven times (including four of us doing it on one occasion in October) and, if I'm honest, the lustre (if there ever was one) has faded.
And, as  you say, there are prettier places to ride to at the weekend, which are considerably easier to get home from.

I did it twice on fixed (horrible), once on the geared bike I used for PBP and then at least 8 times on this one. I reckon at least 11 times now, possibly more (maybe even as many as 14!). I've genuinely lost track! I think I've missed two since the first one (which might have been with Simon, Charlotte and possibly even Ravenbait).

If it was with Charlotte and Ravenbait then that was 2003 - I was there - as was Chuffy, Baggy and few other C+ stalwarts from days of yore.   I was on my long-gone bright yellow 1980s Claud Butler Majestic.

Rob

« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2019, 08:23:41 pm »
I think they all did it in 2005 too.  I remember being passed by them.  This was in the days of the old C+ forum.
Never tell me the odds.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2019, 08:47:18 pm »
Then-MrsLWaB and I started with Charlotte, Ravenbait, et al, on our Brommies. Good weather that year (must have been 2005) and I've not tempted fate by going back for another DD.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2019, 10:23:55 pm »
I think they all did it in 2005 too.  I remember being passed by them.  This was in the days of the old C+ forum.
I did it when I  was on UK.rec.cycling. You were there, under a different nom de ordinateur, as was Plomesgate Pete and Mr Larrington, who, upon reaching Dunwich, rode back.

What year was that?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster, S Warwickshire Bike Shop in Wellesbourne
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited, manages an LBS
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #208 on: Yesterday at 07:09:34 am »
Then-MrsLWaB and I started with Charlotte, Ravenbait, et al, on our Brommies. Good weather that year (must have been 2005) and I've not tempted fate by going back for another DD.

Just looked it up in my calendar - it was 2004 for certain - I recollect passing you and Then-MrsLWAB riding away from Dunwich as we drove across the heathland heading homewards.      I think quite a few of the original gang did it again in 2005.

My pal Steve had driven to Dunwich on the Friday, left his car at the beach, ridden to the station, train to London, stayed overnight with his son - met me at the Inn on the Park - and then drove us both home on Sunday morning - perfect, made better by a glass of Champagne in my garden when we got back.

I did vow to do it again ... but not so far and it looks unlikely in the future - too many people, not enough personal fitness coupled with advancing years!

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #209 on: Yesterday at 07:18:03 am »
Thanks for that. Memories fade after a while, so details get lost but the joy remains.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #210 on: Yesterday at 08:31:36 am »

If by Simon you mean Leggy, to the best of my knowledge he's only ever done it the once, 2007, the wet one, and he bailed somewhere around Moreton and booked himself into a B&B.

« Reply #211 on: Yesterday at 09:12:17 pm »
I was with him when he was phoning round from The Black Lion at High Roding.  I think he found a B&B in Grear Dunmow.  I followed suit but had to ride to Finchingfield to get picked up.
Never tell me the odds.