Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1765748 times)

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #11350 on: 18 October, 2017, 05:46:59 pm »
I doubt I'll be able to get out tonight.

« Reply #11351 on: 18 October, 2017, 06:15:05 pm »
Do we have a route for tonight?  Work is a bit busy so I'm trying to see if I join at Spa road, intercept on route, or go d*!%ct to the pub?

Do try to keep up...  ::-) ;D

That could apply to riding, reading of yacf, or life on gerneral, but I reckon in my case, it is all three!

I hope to see you all at the Spa Road roundabout for 19:30

GS
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #11352 on: 19 October, 2017, 09:20:25 am »
I appreciate I won't win many plaudits for what follows but here is A SUGGESTED ROUTE FOR {*} next week's proposed trip to The Woolie's Halloween Beer Fest that the Witham peloton might like to use.  Alternatively someone might have a better idea.  The route has been plucked from the archives, not sure if has ever been used.

My reason for this outrageous forward planning is I'm away until late Tuesday evening and then in London for work on Wednesday so won't have time to be messing with Garmins and the like.

{*} CAPITALS used to attract the attention of the Perpetually Vacant amongst whom I frequently number  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11353 on: 21 October, 2017, 12:15:20 pm »
I went to the New Inn in Colchester for a couple of beers last night....next time things head toward Colchester I can give that pub a recommendation, it was brilliant. Open Fire, 2 Bishop Nicks and 2 Colchester brewery beers on and a proper old school bar with an eclectic assortment of clocks, mirrors, toby jugs and newspaper articles/pictures on the walls. Oh and of course they ask if you want you beer in a glass or a jug (which prompted much funny banter about this being the only kinds of jugs in the pub last night   :facepalm:)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11354 on: 21 October, 2017, 12:52:31 pm »
I think the New Inn is an unvisited GBG pub. jibers make it so!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11355 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:34:26 pm »
jibers old love, please can you organise another Friday Night to the Pub(s) in Colchester?

« Reply #11356 on: 22 October, 2017, 11:51:05 am »
The Woolpack this week, a place I have never been to, but have checked out streetview.

Any advice concerning placement of bikes? I'm presuming a strong lock is in order, and that the bikes will go somewhere in the car park to the right of the pub.

Also, will anybody be riding a bike with double handlebar tape or gel pads under their tape? I'm keen to see how each feels before preparing my own handlebars with additional cushioning.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11357 on: 22 October, 2017, 01:44:01 pm »
3 options (its changed a bit since streetview was updated, garden now finished)
There's 3 sheffield stands outside the Marconi building thats now flats.
Lamp column (not great)
Beer Garden (might be busy but there is perhaps some shuffle room in what was the car park - not this might have catering set up in that area)

The none-chelmsford peeps seem to manage to stuff their bikes somewhere so they might be better to comment... I'll probably arrive via team car as I'm still resting the ankle....
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11358 on: 24 October, 2017, 07:38:40 am »
I'm off to the Wye Valley for a long weekend on Thursday, so I won't be out - have a good one  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11359 on: 24 October, 2017, 01:50:16 pm »
@jiberjaber - thanks for the potential bike parking options list. I'm aware of Marconi and their history in Chelmsford, but I can't spot what might be the Marconi building that is now flats on Streetview. Any more clues please?

Also, any suggestions from non-Chelmsford peeps would be appreciated.

« Reply #11360 on: 24 October, 2017, 02:00:26 pm »
The Marconi building is on the corner diagonally opposite the pub - you will not be able to miss it as there is a big painted wall saying something like 'Marconi Building'. The pub garden also looks as if it is quite big. If it was a balmy summer's evening, it might be full of punters.....but in late October I'm sure there will be room for bikes.

« Reply #11361 on: 24 October, 2017, 03:03:43 pm »
Last time we were allowed to stick them in the tent they had ready for the beer festival proper.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #11362 on: 24 October, 2017, 03:24:16 pm »
The Marconi building is on the corner diagonally opposite the pub - you will not be able to miss it as there is a big painted wall saying something like 'Marconi Building'. The pub garden also looks as if it is quite big. If it was a barmy summer's evening, it might be full of punters.....but in late October I'm sure there will be room for bikes.

How did I miss that! Now found it on StreetView ... I wasn't expecting the building to have such large prominent Marconi lettering!

I'll aim for the beer garden as a first port of call, as consensus suggests there should be sufficient space. I'll be even more happy if others lock their bike to mine, assuming there won't be much by way of immovable objects in the vicinity.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11363 on: 25 October, 2017, 09:36:01 am »
I have an early start tomorrow and a long day (got to go to Thirsk and back on the choo choo) so may just stop for a pint this evening and push on.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11364 on: 25 October, 2017, 12:14:20 pm »
Subject to usual colonial interference caveat I intend to be out to play this evening.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #11365 on: 25 October, 2017, 12:43:02 pm »
I'll have to miss tonight again  :'( I've been left with the Dog while Catherine and the girls are in Wales so she's home alone until I get back....poor little blighter!

« Reply #11366 on: 25 October, 2017, 12:48:26 pm »
I don't think I'll be able to make the Spa Rd rendezvous, so if I do miss it I'll join the Peloton as it goes from Mill lane to the Ridge (rather than at the Generals).

As its a beer festival does the BB get a week off?

GS

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #11367 on: 25 October, 2017, 01:41:09 pm »
As last week, due to family circumstances I'm probably confined to barracks again.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11368 on: 25 October, 2017, 03:40:33 pm »
As last week, due to family circumstances I'm probably confined to barracks again.

I hope you can make it out soon as I have a pressie for you  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11369 on: 25 October, 2017, 03:48:14 pm »

Nooooo!  It all went to pot last week, we might survive a beer festival rule night but I hope you get a gate pass soon. ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11370 on: 26 October, 2017, 09:30:17 am »
A good night last night  :thumbsup:

Next week jibers has us going to the Three Elms at Chignal St. James, I thought I'd check to see if the Conversation Killers would be playing, it seems they were there last night so we should be safe - phew!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11371 on: 26 October, 2017, 09:34:13 am »

Next week jibers has us going to the Three Elms at Chignal St. James, I thought I'd check to see if the Conversation Killers would be playing, it seems they were there last night so we should be safe - phew!

And here's THE ROUTE the Witham peloton followed in December last year.

« Reply #11372 on: 26 October, 2017, 09:36:42 am »

It was even balmy enough to be sat outside.

I rode past the Three Elms last night, so could use the same route next week, or I might even mix it up a bit and go for an adventure.

« Reply #11373 on: 26 October, 2017, 10:44:31 am »
A good night last night 

Will the jazz band be there to stiffle any chance of conversation?

Sent using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11374 on: 26 October, 2017, 10:49:13 am »
A good night last night 

Will the jazz band be there to stiffle any chance of conversation?

Sent using Tapatalk

You're still not keeping up well are you? ^^^  ;D

You're probably still hypothermic from yesterday evening so we'll make allowances just this once.