Author Topic: Growbag goodness - what do you recommend?  (Read 3406 times)

Growbag goodness - what do you recommend?
« on: 03 May, 2008, 06:42:08 pm »
I was at the garden centre today and got very excited to see all the little veggie plants. Unfortunately our garden isn't set up for veggie beds, so it's growbags all the way.

I'm going to be doing tomatoes as usual, but what else would do well in a growbag?  I noticed little rocket plants - worth it? Would courgettes be too unruly and ground-creeping? Could I do some sort of beans if I truss up the plants as they grow?

Re: Growbag goodness - what do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »
I was at the garden centre today and got very excited to see all the little veggie plants. Unfortunately our garden isn't set up for veggie beds, so it's growbags all the way.

I'm going to be doing tomatoes as usual, but what else would do well in a growbag?  I noticed little rocket plants - worth it? Would courgettes be too unruly and ground-creeping? Could I do some sort of beans if I truss up the plants as they grow?

How about large pots instead?  Easier to move around, reusable and much nicer looking.   A nice runner bean wigwam in one looks great when flowering.

« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2008, 06:55:05 pm »
Guess what - I was just eyeing up a large pot in the garden and wondering what could go in it. Bingo!

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2008, 11:24:40 am »

How about large pots instead?  Easier to move around, reusable and much nicer looking.   A nice runner bean wigwam in one looks great when flowering.

We set 2 of these up last weekend.  Having got the beans growing in our "glazed side lobby" </estate agent speak> and then sold the house, we opted for big pots and wigwams.  Looking good so far.

Si

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2008, 03:32:20 pm »
Stick your grow bags on end and you can grow spuds in them.

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2008, 03:34:07 pm »
If you have a sheltered yard you can plant spuds (in a tub) late and have fresh potatoes with your christmas dinner.

Fi

« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:14:01 pm »
Saw something on gardener's world yonks ago where, I think it was the Pippa woman, suggested re-planting a few spuds once you'd harvested them so they'd be ready by Christmas.

« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:19:44 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:29:17 pm »

You can do aubergines if you've got a nice warm sheltered spot, cucumbers (max two per bag), certainly a courgette plant - but one per bag is probably all you'll get 'cos they sprawl, peppers (sweet or chilli).

You could certainly grow beans, but I'd recommend climbing French beans for max productivity.  You could probably plant 6 beans per bag if you can erect a framework of canes for them to climb up.