Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 269331 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #2450 on: January 26, 2021, 08:19:06 am »
Agree, prize money doesn't serve any purpose anymore. Those who are likely to cash it, these days have sponsors who pay for their equipment and travel anyway and the value is peanuts. It's becoming increasingly rare to see club riders at the top, they are all part of sponsored teams.

As an aside, in hill climbs there is a push towards 50% gender spread at the National championship, which is something positive to aim for, I just hope it comes gradually and with some sense... an entry still needs to be something athletes work towards throughout the season, rather than something handed in to make up the desired numbers.

« Reply #2451 on: January 26, 2021, 11:17:20 am »
I think a lot of the organisers are staying out of the debate by removing prize money from their events.
Does this mean they will go back to the old ways of trophies and medals, or even before that with items such as canteens of cutlery?

My core time trial days span late 60s to early 80s (since 1981 I rode only a few a year), and the very few medals I have mean something to me.  My faster clubmates have boxes full of medals and little trophies, most of which mean little or nothing to them because they have so many.  I imagine they were happier when money prizes became more common.

« Reply #2452 on: January 26, 2021, 01:48:06 pm »
I think a lot of the organisers are staying out of the debate by removing prize money from their events.
Does this mean they will go back to the old ways of trophies and medals, or even before that with items such as canteens of cutlery?

My core time trial days span late 60s to early 80s (since 1981 I rode only a few a year), and the very few medals I have mean something to me.  My faster clubmates have boxes full of medals and little trophies, most of which mean little or nothing to them because they have so many.  I imagine they were happier when money prizes became more common.

Or no prizes at all... the money could be invested in producing race numbers that don't fall to pieces before the end of the race if they are pinned

« Reply #2453 on: January 27, 2021, 09:32:23 am »
I'm hoping to do some TTs this year once my bike is finished

« Reply #2454 on: January 27, 2021, 10:00:13 am »
Cool bike.  What gearing(s) are you planning on using?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2455 on: January 27, 2021, 10:08:45 am »
A bit of free speed for everyone: I've been pointed at the Aerocoach tyre pressure calculator.  They recommend low pressures: for me with 23 mm tyres and a 75 kg all-up rider weight they recommend 81 psi.

« Reply #2456 on: January 27, 2021, 11:35:12 am »
Amazing - not that long ago that I was trying to get 150psi in my tyres and hoping the rims didn't explode!

« Reply #2457 on: January 27, 2021, 11:56:30 am »
Amazing - not that long ago that I was trying to get 150psi in my tyres and hoping the rims didn't explode!

I made a supersonic inner tube explode at a lot less than that...  ;D... it happened as I was warming up, 10 minutes before my start time in a 10 TT... I limped to the car, managed to replace the inner tube and put some air in it... and was on the line 30 seconds before I was due

« Reply #2458 on: January 27, 2021, 12:02:59 pm »

I think 103" is probably what I need based on 78rpm = 23.92mph, the key will be training to be able to push it in headwinds or slopes.

« Reply #2459 on: January 27, 2021, 01:59:01 pm »

I made a supersonic inner tube explode at a lot less than that...  ;D... it happened as I was warming up, 10 minutes before my start time in a 10 TT... I limped to the car, managed to replace the inner tube and put some air in it... and was on the line 30 seconds before I was due

I had one go bang in my car as I was driving to an event (tube not rim).  After I'd recovered from the shock, I had just enough time to go home, get another wheel, and make my start.  Wish I hadn't bothered as it was blowing a gale and it was my slowest ever 50.

« Reply #2460 on: January 27, 2021, 02:49:08 pm »

I think 103" is probably what I need based on 78rpm = 23.92mph, the key will be training to be able to push it in headwinds or slopes.
That's a big gear, but at least you won't spin out! I was running 94" max 2 years ago when I was TTing on fixed. I only managed to spin out once with a massive tailwind on a dual carriageway course.  It was really painful pushing back into the headwind! https://www.strava.com/activities/2627238193

« Reply #2461 on: January 27, 2021, 05:03:08 pm »

That's a big gear, but at least you won't spin out! I was running 94" max 2 years ago when I was TTing on fixed. I only managed to spin out once with a massive tailwind on a dual carriageway course.  It was really painful pushing back into the headwind! https://www.strava.com/activities/2627238193

I had planned to start on mid 90s once I get used to pootling around on the 69" gear I have on there at the moment. I'm certainly no spinner so will see  how I get on.

bairn again

« Reply #2462 on: February 24, 2021, 03:29:30 pm »
Note that the organisers are moving away from using the Prees-Espley stretch too much, so the main leg is likely to be more Shawbirch-Espley heavy.  This means you'll likely need any supporters to move between Espley for the main circuit and Prees for the Quina Brook circuit, rather than just staying at Prees all the time.

That's a bit of a bugger for the less agile support crews. Should be faster though.

Presumably that's even more of a bugger for any unsupported riders who may have previously left a car at Prees before the event with extra stuff (as I have done in the past) knowing that they would pass their vehicle either every 40 or 13 miles for the vast majority of the event.         

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2463 on: February 24, 2021, 04:10:50 pm »
In good TT news, CTT have just sent round a message saying that events are back on from March 29th, and can everyone remember to put in their police notifications asap. 

We've put in for a 10 on April 3rd. Time to go the TT bike fettled ...