Author Topic: N+1 oldskool  (Read 11698 times)

Re: N+1 oldskool
« Reply #50 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:15:00 am »
A common front light set-up for an ordinary was a carbide or oil lamp inside the front wheel, hung from the hub.

gonzo

« Reply #51 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:18:25 am »
Can you imagine that with hokey spokes?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:30:37 am »
Don't tempt him Gonz.

::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

bobajobrob

« Reply #53 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:37:48 am »
Hey, nice bike Andy :thumbsup: Glad you got one in good condition, it looks like a stunner.

B66 or B67 if you want big springs on it, otherwise B72.

By the look of the slant on the saddle, it would need springs to keep the back end up. Besides, the springs would help the bumpy ride caused by iron forks and solid tyres :o

We need action shots!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #54 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:02:03 am »
By the look of the slant on the saddle, it would need springs to keep the back end up. Besides, the springs would help the bumpy ride caused by iron forks and solid tyres :o

The B17 has gone on successfully using the same jubilee-clip-and-seatpost-part-wedge that worked for the fakething, so that'll be ready to test soon!

Can you imagine that with hokey spokes?

Pff.  3m of EL glow wire.   :thumbsup:

Now, I need some quarter-inch Whitworth bolts.  Why is it that I find myself buying the stuff that a few years ago I threw out as obsolete...?  *scurries off to Bob's Bolterria*
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:50:54 am »
What's the law on brakes on Ordinaries?

I thought bikes older than a certain age would be exempt. Just claim it is 100 years old.

If not it would take a cruel Police officer (or a lot of goading/abuse) to enforce the "two independent brakes" rule.

Most of them have a spoon brake on the front wheel, don't they?  In which case they would qualify under the same regs as single-brake fixies.

I've seen modern ones with a caliper brake on the rear wheel too, which should satisfy Plod.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #56 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:21:25 am »
So the penny farthing would be legal. Though you would probably still need the legal requirement of reflectors and lights if riding it at night...

I thought reflectors were only required for bikes manufactured after a certain date?

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #57 on: 09 May, 2008, 12:31:51 pm »

I still remember the discussion about Schlumpf drive and a SON dynohub on the rear wheel.  ::-) ;D

G

Craig

« Reply #58 on: 09 May, 2008, 12:46:10 pm »
I thought reflectors were only required for bikes manufactured after a certain date?

CTC page on the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations here: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071
Which says for exceptions:
Age brings privileges. To name but two: cycles manufactured before October 1990 can have any kind of white front lamp that is visible from a reasonable distance, and pre-October 1985 cycles don’t need pedal reflectors.

Which implies you still need front and rear lights and a rear reflector.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #59 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:00:12 pm »
I wouldn't think of riding out without full lighting fig (lumi or luxeon front, smart rear, and a rear reflector, and whatever circus twaddle I can afford) - but to preserve the historical authenticity of the machine, the rear-facing tat will all be affixed to the saddlebag rather than the machine. :thumbsup:

Oh bugger, the glow wire will be epic.  (50" * pi) + 25" = 4.6m of wire.  Lucky the price has come down...
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #60 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:09:20 pm »
but to preserve the historical authenticity of the machine, the rear-facing tat will all be affixed to the saddlebag rather than the machine. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be too concerned with that.  A saddlebag makes it very difficult to get into and out of the saddle and the lights are likely to point in all directions except the right one.  The late John Pinkerton would fit panniers over the rear wheel when he went long-distance riding on his (original) high bike, similarly to this.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #61 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:58:43 pm »
Yebbut the Barley looks soooooo pretty.  :D

« Reply #62 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:01:33 pm »

So long as you can get your leg over...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #63 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:03:32 pm »

Just try getting on and off the bike with a Barley hanging off the saddle.  I've tried something similar myself and almost had a choice between becoming soprano and keeping the rubber side down.  Not a pleasant choice at that altitude.  ;)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...