Author Topic: N+1 oldskool  (Read 12050 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: N+1 oldskool
« Reply #25 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:24:04 am »
I certainly can't see nipples at either end.  It's like the Hays Code all over again.  Worse in fact, I'll be covering its ankles soon...

Gus - ta.  I'll pop down to the LBS and see what they have.  They'll like a look :D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

gordon taylor

« Reply #26 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:48:52 pm »
That's lovely.
I soooooooooooo want an ordinary bicycle too.

Can I ask a few numpty questions?

Is that a pneumatic tyre on the front?
Where on earth do you get spare tyres, or even rims?

I must find a local metalwork class and learn to braze tubes.

« Reply #27 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:02:51 pm »
Excellent news!! It would be nice to be able to comment on chain tension......  But those cranks are SHORT!! Is that normal on such machines?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #28 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:49:15 pm »
The tyre is solid.  They both are.  Most tyres these days are solid polyurethane, this looks like solid synthetic rubber.  You buy it by the length but I'm not entirely sure how it is fitted.  It's the same stuff used for wheelchairs.

You don't break the rim.  It's not a braking surface so it shouldn't wear.

I think the short cranks are normal. The pedals are in adjustable slots at the ends so there's some tweaking for rider power and twiddle - I'll probably just max that right out.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:29:48 pm »
With a 60" or less gear, you need short cranks to keep up rather than the leverage of long ones.  At least, that's probably the reason.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #30 on: 05 May, 2008, 07:29:24 pm »
You, sir, are a lunatic!

*Fails to hide his envy*
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #31 on: 05 May, 2008, 07:41:57 pm »
Wow, that looks awesome! How short are the cranks?

« Reply #32 on: 06 May, 2008, 11:54:45 am »
Finally!  ;D :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 06 May, 2008, 12:13:30 pm »
You buy it by the length but I'm not entirely sure how it is fitted.

There is a spiral wire up the centre.  You cut the tyre to the right length, leaving some spiral wire protruding.  Wind the tyre against the spiral direction, put the two ends together and let them unwind along the spiral until the ends are butting up against each other, held by the wire spirals.  It is a bit of an art to get things just right.

Then pop the tyre onto the rim (swearing is allowed).  Too loose allows the tyre to roll off the rim...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #34 on: 06 May, 2008, 12:25:40 pm »
With a 60" or less gear, you need short cranks to keep up rather than the leverage of long ones.  At least, that's probably the reason.

More to adjust for rider's inside leg measurement, methinks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 06 May, 2008, 01:28:46 pm »
Pretty!

iw00t!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #36 on: 06 May, 2008, 02:55:17 pm »
Awesome dude, I'm well chuffed for you and rather jealous!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #37 on: 06 May, 2008, 05:19:29 pm »
OK, now we're waiting for video...   :)
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #38 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:29:56 pm »

I'd have thought so. Unicyclists still do this sort of thing. 89mm are popular with some racers (50mm have been known!) while unicycle tourers tend to use 102 - 125mm with 36" wheels.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #39 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:07:32 pm »
That's worth knowing about the cranks - I would have guessed the opposite.  These ones are adjustable, 115-145mm. 

LittleWheels, I'm glad the tyre is reasonable for now!  Maybe I can get our prosthetics-n-wheelchairs department at work to fit one for me..?

First attempt at fitting a B17 to the leaf spring using a sandwich clamp made from slices of angle iron is a success, but has a shonky angle.  Moar fettlin'!

Jakob

« Reply #40 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:53:22 pm »
Awesome, Andy. Can't wait to see it in the steel

« Reply #41 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:03:56 pm »
Fantastic stuff Andy,

Two things occur straightaway. First, contact Brooks, tell them what you're doing, why you're doing it and see if they will make you a saddle.

Second, contact Hope or Lumicycle, same thing, get them to make you a fake carbide lamp with a halide lamp!

I'm sure any of these companies would/could be made interested. Then contact one of the London news networks, tell them what you're doing....

Tiger

« Reply #42 on: 08 May, 2008, 06:50:03 pm »
What a lovely machine. Lucky man. Look forward to seeing you on the Dun Run.

« Reply #43 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:04:03 pm »
What's the law on brakes on Ordinaries?

« Reply #44 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:06:36 pm »
What's the law on brakes on Ordinaries?

I thought bikes older than a certain age would be exempt. Just claim it is 100 years old.

If not it would take a cruel Police officer (or a lot of goading/abuse) to enforce the "two independent brakes" rule.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: 08 May, 2008, 11:20:30 pm »
It's got two independent brakes.

It's a fixie, innit?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #46 on: 08 May, 2008, 11:27:10 pm »
Nothing on the rear wheel alas.

Mind you under any braking the rear wheel will lift in a blink.  No point having a brake unless there's a trailer right behind it (no, stoppit, NO). 

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: 08 May, 2008, 11:34:01 pm »
Yebbut the independent braking systems don't have to be on separate wheels.

Or trikes would be illegal, no?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #48 on: 09 May, 2008, 12:01:01 am »
I thought they did.

Oh no, that's the brakes in triathlon rules.  Which are written specially to exclude fixies because of the, um, intensity of action among low-skill riders ;)

Craig

« Reply #49 on: 09 May, 2008, 12:06:01 am »
A rather useful page about the law regarding brakes here from the CTC: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4073

Basically the law says that (most) pedal cycles must have independent braking systems on the front and rear wheels. But there are exceptions for tricycles which says it can have two brakes on one wheel.
And another exception:
I've already noted that fixed wheel counts as a brake. Taking that a stage further: if one wheel is not only incapable of rotating independently of the pedals, but the pedals are fixed directly to it without any intervening chain or gears, the cycle does not have to be equipped with any other braking system at all. This is obviously designed to allow various antique machines such as penny-farthings to be exercised on the highway without adding incongruous modern accessories!

So the penny farthing would be legal. Though you would probably still need the legal requirement of reflectors and lights if riding it at night...