Author Topic: Noooooooooooo!!!!!  (Read 1018 times)

Zoidburg

Noooooooooooo!!!!!
« on: 31 August, 2009, 06:24:12 pm »
BBC NEWS | Business | Disney to buy Marvel in $4bn deal

:'(

The Evil Empire gets its hooks into my childhood >:(

Re: Noooooooooooo!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 01 September, 2009, 12:31:37 pm »
Spiderman will be spinning in his web. Why can't they leave alone?
Working my way up to inferior.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2009, 02:01:57 pm »
Give me an M
Give me an O
Give me an N
Give me an E
Give me a   Y

Put them together and what do you get?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2009, 02:04:17 pm »
Corporate shenanigans that will have very little effect on thee and me?

Or a Stitch / Deadpool crossover...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2009, 04:38:23 pm »
My boys are most hacked off about this - as am I for different reasons.

I'm deeply concerned that some of the best no-brain-required movies are now going to become horribly Disnified. Is it acceptable that a Disney character seduces a beautiful blonde reporter before getting his assistant to throw her out in the morning - just to pick a random example?

My boys concern is that we're off to Orlando next year where we're going to Universal Studios (amongst other places). At Islands of Adventure there's Marvel Superheros Island - Hulk roller coaster, Spider Man ride etc. This is, of course, the main 'resort' rival to Disney ... how's that going to work out then? Is Disney going to licence characters it owns to its main rival, where they're one of the main draws? Maybe they will, but I reckon that as soon as the deal is up for renewal, it'll become hideously expensive for Universal.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2009, 06:44:38 pm »
What Disney won't be able to do is walk the line between grown up entertainment and childhood entertainment like Marvel always managed to do.

There are certain themes - like Padbeat said, that Disney simply won't tolerate in material aimed at a "family" audience. Marvel is done for if Disney start pulling the strings, it just wont be Marvel anymore.

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2009, 11:19:58 pm »
Don't I remember them fucking about with Miramax up to the point where the Weisensteins told them to shove it?

This was the Miramax of Reservoir Dogs, Dogma and The Pope Must Die, but that gives me little comfort!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance