Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 114377 times)

Panoramix

• 50 61 6E 6F 72 61 6D 69 78
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #1150 on: January 05, 2020, 04:29:48 pm »
We got an ergo for me and my daughter who is becoming obsessed with rowing. My rowing club doesn't seem to have a team on the Concept2 logbook thingy so I've just joined the Concept2 yacf team... I hope you don't mind!

« Reply #1151 on: January 06, 2020, 08:09:40 pm »
I've been coaching rowing (volunteering) for 3 or 4 years now, for one of the clubs in Cambridge plus a university college first boat, both only mid-table performance at best but in december I started shadowing one of the coaches for the cambridge boat race crew, in an attempt to get better at coaching faster crews and I'm loving it.. Amazing to watch olympic-level athletes train and fight for seats, and they even ask me to do some shouting sometimes.

I also did my level 2 coaching qualification, although that was much more about safety and process than actual rowing.  Good to get it done though!

« Reply #1152 on: January 06, 2020, 08:11:58 pm »
Mike, that sounds fabulous.  I am nowhere near an athlete but have spent some time around world champion level athletes and they are so much fun to watch and listen to.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1153 on: January 08, 2020, 03:01:57 pm »
Best 10000m ergo for 2 years yesterday.  Maybe the bicycle-weight of extra lard around my middle is helping?
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 170 (metric) 520 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1154 on: January 12, 2020, 03:53:58 pm »
I've been coaching rowing (volunteering) for 3 or 4 years now, for one of the clubs in Cambridge plus a university college first boat, both only mid-table performance at best but in december I started shadowing one of the coaches for the cambridge boat race crew, in an attempt to get better at coaching faster crews and I'm loving it.. Amazing to watch olympic-level athletes train and fight for seats, and they even ask me to do some shouting sometimes.

I also did my level 2 coaching qualification, although that was much more about safety and process than actual rowing.  Good to get it done though!

That sounds interesting, Mike, quite an eye-opener I bet. The first couple of weeks each year seem to be marked by a predominance of 'palmares' kit (GB, US, Harvard, Leander etc.)  :) .  I generally get involved by staying out of their way... I have perceived an increased level of politeness on the water this year towards us oiks on the other side of the river, but it may be that I am in a posher boat (i.e. not a club Swift) that has been in their boathouse for a couple of years. Good to see them out when going well though, sometimes very impressive (and make the water very bumpy).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1155 on: January 30, 2020, 06:17:36 am »
Have reached 100,000m on the ergo this month.   :smug:
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 170 (metric) 520 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)